Butt pain wont go away (Read 291 times)

fourouta5

Healed Hammy

Sore subject to raise (pun intended) but I could really use some direction here.

Started having a sore piriformis about 3 months ago training for my first marathon.  I think it first started after my first hill sprints, possibly aggravated by some speedwork the following week.  Anyway, however it happened it remains.

I trained through the soreness taking some extra rest days and advil, and rolling infrequently on the lacrosse ball.  That seemed to keep it under control but the soreness never went away.  Marathon was 10 days ago and I have run 1 time since.

The pain is worst when sitting, sort of on the tailbone.  I sit on a pilow at work but in the car it still is uncomfortable.  No problem walking or standing.  Advil seems to make no difference at this point.

My question is: could this be SI joint issues perhaps?  If it is a piriformis issue, should I stretch in addition to roll?  I figured stretching would aggravate the inflamation so I avoided it.  No speedwork last 2 months, no hills, just easier running.   Will Myrtle exercises be of help, or should I just take more time off to let it heal?  Seems like it won't go away even after 7 days of no exercise.

Your thoughts and comments are appreciated.

tweisner

It could be hamstrings, piriformis, glutes, trigger points...there are lots of things it could be.  IB will help but you have to take major doses and it may not make it go away but rather just relieve some pain temporarily.  Stretching, rolling, icing all good but you may need some help on this one.  If there is anyone in your area the does ART - Active Release Techniques or Graston Techniques I would suggest going to see them.  You could try a regular physical therapist.  Just make sure it is one that runs.  Sometimes those that don't run don't get it.

- itri - 

MJ5

Chief Unicorn Officer

Go to a PT or orthopedist.  There are so many little muscles and different attachments of muscles, it is impossible to tell what the true culprit is.  Rather than put it off for months (like I did) and suffer, just go and get it over with.  You'll be happy you did.

Mile 5:49 - 5K 19:58 - 10K 43:06 - HM 1:36:54

#artbydmcbride

Runners run

Prince of Fatness

Sacro Wedgy!

http://www.sacrowedgy.com/

+1

My ass has been hurting for almost 3 years now.  This thing helps.  I have been using it at work and in the car.  Just got back from vacation which involved an 11 hour car ride one way.  It was probably the most tolerable long ride that I have had in a while thanks to the Sacro Wedgy.

Not at it at all. 

Sacro Wedgy!

http://www.sacrowedgy.com/

Who has used this? ? ? ?

Does it work?   I've watched the video, and don't really get it. Do you just lay there or try to stretch while laying there?  Can you just lay on the floor ?

- Anya

I should just start a new thread, but, has anyone here used the Sacro wedgy ??

- Anya

#artbydmcbride

I have.  You just lay there and try to relax COMPLETELY...and let your sacro joint stretch itself.  It tends to release the sciatic nerve from impinging also.  At least for me.

Runners run

tomatolover

I bought one but don't know if i'm using it/placing it right...is the little point supposed to hit yer tailbone?  I'm trying to do "pelvic strengthening/core" activities now so my SI doesn't wrench itself out of place again.

Thanks.

My butt hurts :-)

- Anya

Prince of Fatness

I have.  You just lay there and try to relax COMPLETELY...and let your sacro joint stretch itself.  It tends to release the sciatic nerve from impinging also.  At least for me.

This worked for me but I found that I wasn't making enough time to make it worth my while, plus the benefits were outweighed by all of the sitting I do.  So I switched up what I do with it.  I use it in the car and also in the office every day.  While It has not done all that much to cure me it has made sitting much more bearable.

Not at it at all. 

This worked for me but I found that I wasn't making enough time to make it worth my while, plus the benefits were outweighed by all of the sitting I do.  So I switched up what I do with it.  I use it in the car and also in the office every day.  While It has not done all that much to cure me it has made sitting much more bearable.

REally, you can use it sitting at your desk? I might just order this thing.

- Anya

L Train

I also used to sit on it at my desk.  Never tried the car, but that makes sense.

Prince of Fatness

REally, you can use it sitting at your desk? I might just order this thing.

http://www.sacrowedgy.com/howto_sitting.htm

As it says in the last paragraph I find that it is very difficult to slouch, I sit with much better posture when using it.  Also my commute to work is an hour each way so it is worth using it in the car.  Back in January I traveled to SC which is 12 hours one way.  I usually dread long car rides because of the discomfort.  I used the SacroWedgy and while there was still some discomfort it was much better than it normally was.

Not at it at all.