Safe From the Sun 5k: First Race and BIG PR (Read 467 times)

celiacChris

3Days4Cure

Jake--you were right about how I'd do. I exceeded my wildest dreams, so thanks for the butt kicking. I have photos to include, but can't figure out how to add them. Yesterday I did my usual cross train (85 minutes kickboxing in the early AM) and then rested the rest of the day. I really felt good and confident this morning, grabbing a banana at home and leaving right on time to register. About 1/2 an hour before the race, I did a nice, easy warmup run for .5 mile. I felt great and averaged an 11:59 pace. We lined up for the race, and I set myself at the back of the block. There was a massive crunch at the beginning, and everyone took off fast. I grabbed a comfortable pace and started following a few people who were running where I felt comfortable, not looking at pacing. I hit mile 1 and looked at the garmin, shocked to see the 10:50 pace. I was still very comfortable, so I tweaked my pace up very slightly and started switching people to pace off of. Much of this time I spent passing people who took off very fast, and I just tried to stay slightly uncomfortable and consistent in pace. Mile two beeped and my pace was 9:59. I decided to try and maintain the same pace, leaving me some room to push over the last 1/2 mile. At this point I was running pretty much on my own, passing the occasional walker, but no pack to be seen. At the last 1/2 mile, I caught up to a few people, motivating me to push to the finish. Mile 3, my pace was 9:39. The finish line was a disaster area. The run finished on the indoor track at Villanova, and they left only two lanes for runners, the rest were used by the 5k walk. I made a rookie mistake and backed off a bit too soon so my partner could grab a photo, then pushed to the end, finishing in 31:10. I would have been under 31 had I not slowed my pace, but mistakes happen. The whole race went perfectly in my mind, I felt great, I grabbed a comfortable pace, and even though I left it all on the course it was like prior competitive musical performances when I was "in the zone". Overall, a great run. Chris

Chris
    PRs: 27:26 5k/ 49:52 5mi/ 58:17 10k/ 2:09:24 half/ 5:13:17 Full

Post-Bipolar PRs: 38:35 5k/ 1:09:34 8k/ 1:09:39 5mi/ 1:33:03 10k/ 3:20:40 Half

2022 Goals

Back to 10k

rockintrax

Sounds like you did a great job! Hope you had lots of fun - and then partyed afterward. Everyone's always surprised with times at their first 5K - and you'll probably be even more surprised with your times finishing your second or your third. As people tend to be conservative during their first 5K and over the next couple races you'll get better at pacing yourself and improve pretty quickly.
      Steph
        (solid plan) x (great execution) = great run Well done, keep up the great work.

E.J.
        Greater Lowell Road Runners
        Cry havoc and let slip the dawgs of war!

May the road rise to meet you, may the wind be always at your back, may the sun shine warm upon your SPF30, may the rains fall soft upon your sweat-wicking hat, and until you hit the finish line may The Flying Spaghetti Monster hold you in the hollow of His Noodly Appendage.

Nice job Chris! Glad to hear that your race was successful. It looks like your race plan worked out well for you... congrats!
          - Tony