2012 Gardening Thread (Read 1516 times)

Not sure but there is only one way to find out.

True dat.  I'm picking them all tomorrow. 

TOnight it's supposed to go down to 38, and there are no frost warnings, so they should be OK.

MTA!  Oh no!  The forecast says 33 degrees.  It's dark now.  If they die, well, I guess I lose a lot of green tomatoes, because I'm not going out there now.

Jeff

Feeling the growl again

Given my first try and failure in the potato world, I am jealous.

If you want a good variety to try in a small plot....I recommend Austrian Crescent fingerlings.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

Chris UK

So, I probably ask this question every year, but can't remember the answer.

I have a TON of green toms still on the vine.  They won't ripen.  I'm guessing it's too cold, not enough sun, etc.

In order to save them from frost (which will probably not happen tonight, but it will get DARN close, especially in the next few weeks), can i just pick them, stick them in a paper bag, and let them sit on my counter?  Will they ripen?

And no, I'm not going to fry them.

(Can't believe I'm posting in a gardening thread!!)

You can try lifting the whole plant, shaking the soil off the roots and bringing inside to somwwhere like a garage - not in the dark and not in direct sunlight. If that doesn't work you can try the banana trick or I have seen a ripe apple used -

http://www.wikihow.com/Ripen-Green-Tomatoes

3000 miles

Sub 19:00 for 5K  05-03-13 Clee Prom 5K - 19:00:66 that was bloody close!

Sub-40:00 for 10K 17-03-13 Gainsborough 10K - 39:43

Sub 88:00 for HM

So what's the secret to getting rid of wild onions?

It's the time of the year where the invade my backyard and this year they've worked their way into the raised garden beds. Sad

Feeling the growl again

(Can't believe I'm posting in a gardening thread!!)

You can try lifting the whole plant, shaking the soil off the roots and bringing inside to somwwhere like a garage - not in the dark and not in direct sunlight. If that doesn't work you can try the banana trick or I have seen a ripe apple used -

http://www.wikihow.com/Ripen-Green-Tomatoes

Veggies are ripened by ethylene.  That's a neat trick.  It's used commercially with green tomatoes, supposedly they put them in a big warehouse then flood it with gas, and the result is the typical tasteless tomatoes you get at McDonald's and similar fare.  

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

Veggies are ripened by ethylene.  That's a neat trick.  It's used commercially with green tomatoes, supposedly they put them in a big warehouse then flood it with gas, and the result is the typical tasteless tomatoes you get at McDonald's and similar fare.  

I put them all in a paper bag.  Had not thought of the banana, which is now in the bag as well.  I know once they start, they'll work off eachother.  Hope they didn't get frosted last night.

I didn't see any frost out back, but did see some on the hood of my car.  Supposedly it went down to 30 last night.  We'll see.

Jeff

Prince of Fatness

The frost Friday night killed whatever was left growing in my garden, so over the weekend I took the fence down and spread some homemade compost.  Waiting for spring.......

Not at it at all. 

It took two weeks, but the green tomatoes I picked off the remaining plants I had (there were over 30 of them!) all ripened.

Some rotted in the bag, since they were close anyway, I guess.

Anyway, I made tomato soup with the remaining four pounds or so on Saturday.

So, while during the summer, I didn't get too many tomatoes, I sure got a lot in October.

Jeff

Feeling the growl again

It took two weeks, but the green tomatoes I picked off the remaining plants I had (there were over 30 of them!) all ripened.

Some rotted in the bag, since they were close anyway, I guess.

Anyway, I made tomato soup with the remaining four pounds or so on Saturday.

So, while during the summer, I didn't get too many tomatoes, I sure got a lot in October.

Good to know, I threw out a lot of green ones when I pulled the plants.

Good to know, I threw out a lot of green ones when I pulled the plants.

I probably delayed the process a bit by opening the bag every day to check on them, but, I did go a few days at one point without, and that's when I got the rotten one.  So you have to watch them.

Every single one of them ripened.  And some of them, when they were green, were rock hard.

Jeff