"twisted" Ankle pain (Read 94 times)

ReadySetToke

Just wanted some opinions on this, a few weeks ago I was jumping off a large boulder onto the ground covered in leaves, which were covering a tree root. I landed on the tree root causing me to "twist" my ankle. It hurt pretty bad for 1 minute, but then I kept it completely still and luckily it felt a lot better and I was able to finish the remaining 2 miles of my hike, which included a lot of climbing as well.

That was three weeks ago, and my ankle feels fine to walk and run on, but when I bend my foot/ankle a certain way, the big ball area on the right side of my right foot definitely has some residual pain from the incident. Usually a minor injury, such as this one, will heal within a week, but its coming on 4 weeks and there is still some pain.

My question to everyone is; Should I stay off the ankle until there is no pain at all?

I have races in may and june and would love to start getting into a training regiment, but not if it will make my ankle worse..

I know it is hard to answer my question with such little info, but any suggestions?? I've never had a problem like this.

Thank you everyone and peace and love to you all!

Remember to respect everyone, and that acting "superior" to others will not help you be happy!

-Ryan : )

TJoseph

If it were me, I would run through it but probably stay off of the trails and uneven terrain for a while.  If running seems to make it worse, then take some time off.

Latent Runner

Just wanted some opinions on this, a few weeks ago I was jumping off a large boulder onto the ground covered in leaves, which were covering a tree root. I landed on the tree root causing me to "twist" my ankle. It hurt pretty bad for 1 minute, but then I kept it completely still and luckily it felt a lot better and I was able to finish the remaining 2 miles of my hike, which included a lot of climbing as well.

That was three weeks ago, and my ankle feels fine to walk and run on, but when I bend my foot/ankle a certain way, the big ball area on the right side of my right foot definitely has some residual pain from the incident. Usually a minor injury, such as this one, will heal within a week, but its coming on 4 weeks and there is still some pain.

My question to everyone is; Should I stay off the ankle until there is no pain at all?

I have races in may and june and would love to start getting into a training regiment, but not if it will make my ankle worse..

I know it is hard to answer my question with such little info, but any suggestions?? I've never had a problem like this.

Thank you everyone and peace and love to you all!

Remember to respect everyone, and that acting "superior" to others will not help you be happy!

I'm a veteran of many-many sprained ankles and have also managed to break both ankles once as well; it sounds like you have a bad ankle sprain.  Assuming you do in fact have a bad sprain, healing can take six to eight weeks depending upon how bad the sprain is and how old you are (I don't know about you, but I don't heal anywhere near as fast now that I'm in my late 50s compared to 30-40 years ago).

Fat old man PRs:

• 1-mile (point to point, gravity assist): 5:50
        • 2-mile: 13:49
        • 5K (gravity assist last mile): 21:31
        • 5-Mile: 37:24
        • 10K (first 10K of my Half Marathon): 48:16
        • 10-Mile (first 10 miles of my Half Marathon): 1:17:40
        • Half Marathon: 1:42:13
        zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Sounds like maybe a grade 1 sprain.  I'd avoid running off-road for another week or two, perhaps.

Several years ago I suffered a grade 2 sprain early in a trail relay and finished out my legs…running nearly 10 miles after the initial sprain.  It took a solid 2 years before I could really say that the injured ankle was essentially back to pre-injury condition.  But I pretty much did everything wrong in those first 48 hours, too.

The kinder you are early-on really does seem to play a huge role in the overall healing time.  Perhaps look into some range-of-motion PT exercises to do for a few weeks to help things gently heal.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

Keep moving as you ankle allows.  I don't believe in immobilizing an injury of this sort, but you have to listen to your body.  Run if it doesn't make it worse; ease up if it does.

ReadySetToke

Hey, thanks for everyone's replies!

I'm 22 by the way, someone had asked.

I will probably not run for the next few days, see how it feels, and start out on some short runs/jogs

I have a 60k in June so I really want to start training hard!! But I should probably take it easy..

Darn hidden tree roots!!

Thanks again everyone.

I have this pain on the right side of my right foot for several months. It hurt a little to run and it hurt a little to walk. I finally got physical therapy that it has felt better. They had me stop running   but I use the elliptical trainer real hard. I do a bunch of exercises too for pt. While it hurt I got ready for and ran a marathon and half marathon. I'm also recovering from cancer. That is why I was so driven to run because I didn't know when I would have to have surgery again.

I ran one of my best races when I couldn't play soccer because of ankle pain - I took the next summer off soccer as well.

My ankle had swelled up like a softball on the inside, I could play but one shot attempt or tackle with that foot and I was off for a week again. Like an idiot, I kept playing for a month. When I finally gave up, I put in the best month / month and a half of training I'd done to that point and ran a 2½ min PB for the ½ marathon (PB had been same race the year before).

Point is, I don't find running hard on the ankle at all. Both soccer and curling were rougher on it.