"twisted" Ankle pain (Read 91 times)

ReadySetToke

Just wanted some opinions on this, a few weeks ago I was jumping off a large boulder onto the ground covered in leaves, which were covering a tree root. I landed on the tree root causing me to "twist" my ankle. It hurt pretty bad for 1 minute, but then I kept it completely still and luckily it felt a lot better and I was able to finish the remaining 2 miles of my hike, which included a lot of climbing as well.

That was three weeks ago, and my ankle feels fine to walk and run on, but when I bend my foot/ankle a certain way, the big ball area on the right side of my right foot definitely has some residual pain from the incident. Usually a minor injury, such as this one, will heal within a week, but its coming on 4 weeks and there is still some pain.

My question to everyone is; Should I stay off the ankle until there is no pain at all?

I have races in may and june and would love to start getting into a training regiment, but not if it will make my ankle worse..

I know it is hard to answer my question with such little info, but any suggestions?? I've never had a problem like this.

Thank you everyone and peace and love to you all!

Remember to respect everyone, and that acting "superior" to others will not help you be happy!

-Ryan : )

If it were me, I would run through it but probably stay off of the trails and uneven terrain for a while.  If running seems to make it worse, then take some time off.

Latent Runner

Just wanted some opinions on this, a few weeks ago I was jumping off a large boulder onto the ground covered in leaves, which were covering a tree root. I landed on the tree root causing me to "twist" my ankle. It hurt pretty bad for 1 minute, but then I kept it completely still and luckily it felt a lot better and I was able to finish the remaining 2 miles of my hike, which included a lot of climbing as well.

That was three weeks ago, and my ankle feels fine to walk and run on, but when I bend my foot/ankle a certain way, the big ball area on the right side of my right foot definitely has some residual pain from the incident. Usually a minor injury, such as this one, will heal within a week, but its coming on 4 weeks and there is still some pain.

My question to everyone is; Should I stay off the ankle until there is no pain at all?

I have races in may and june and would love to start getting into a training regiment, but not if it will make my ankle worse..

I know it is hard to answer my question with such little info, but any suggestions?? I've never had a problem like this.

Thank you everyone and peace and love to you all!

Remember to respect everyone, and that acting "superior" to others will not help you be happy!

I'm a veteran of many-many sprained ankles and have also managed to break both ankles once as well; it sounds like you have a bad ankle sprain.  Assuming you do in fact have a bad sprain, healing can take six to eight weeks depending upon how bad the sprain is and how old you are (I don't know about you, but I don't heal anywhere near as fast now that I'm in my late 50s compared to 30-40 years ago).

Fat old man PRs:

• 1-mile (point to point, gravity assist): 5:50
        • 2-mile: 13:49
        • 5K (gravity assist last mile): 21:31
        • 5-Mile: 37:24
        • 10K (first 10K of my Half Marathon): 48:16
        • 10-Mile (first 10 miles of my Half Marathon): 1:17:40
        • Half Marathon: 1:42:13

Princess Cancer Pants

Sounds like maybe a grade 1 sprain.  I'd avoid running off-road for another week or two, perhaps.

Several years ago I suffered a grade 2 sprain early in a trail relay and finished out my legs…running nearly 10 miles after the initial sprain.  It took a solid 2 years before I could really say that the injured ankle was essentially back to pre-injury condition.  But I pretty much did everything wrong in those first 48 hours, too.

The kinder you are early-on really does seem to play a huge role in the overall healing time.  Perhaps look into some range-of-motion PT exercises to do for a few weeks to help things gently heal.

'17 Goals:

• Chemo

• Chemo-Radiation

• Surgery

• Return to kicking my own ass by 2018

She was not strong. She was valiant. Radiant. Brave and broken. The beauty she discovered in the aftermath was unparalleled to anything she had known before, because it had come at such a cost.

~ Unknown

Keep moving as you ankle allows.  I don't believe in immobilizing an injury of this sort, but you have to listen to your body.  Run if it doesn't make it worse; ease up if it does.

Well at least someone here is making relevance to the subject. - S.J.

ReadySetToke

Hey, thanks for everyone's replies!

I'm 22 by the way, someone had asked.

I will probably not run for the next few days, see how it feels, and start out on some short runs/jogs

I have a 60k in June so I really want to start training hard!! But I should probably take it easy..

Darn hidden tree roots!!

Thanks again everyone.

I have this pain on the right side of my right foot for several months. It hurt a little to run and it hurt a little to walk. I finally got physical therapy that it has felt better. They had me stop running   but I use the elliptical trainer real hard. I do a bunch of exercises too for pt. While it hurt I got ready for and ran a marathon and half marathon. I'm also recovering from cancer. That is why I was so driven to run because I didn't know when I would have to have surgery again.

I ran one of my best races when I couldn't play soccer because of ankle pain - I took the next summer off soccer as well.

My ankle had swelled up like a softball on the inside, I could play but one shot attempt or tackle with that foot and I was off for a week again. Like an idiot, I kept playing for a month. When I finally gave up, I put in the best month / month and a half of training I'd done to that point and ran a 2½ min PB for the ½ marathon (PB had been same race the year before).

Point is, I don't find running hard on the ankle at all. Both soccer and curling were rougher on it.