crappy run :( (Read 939 times)

Yesterday noon I had an awesome run around Lake Harriet in Mpls: I felt on top of the world, I found a rhythm and stuck with it, I didn't have to stop and walk once, etc. Well, this morning I decided to do an "easy" run of about 2 miles around my house (the flattest course I could come up with). Not two blocks into it, I got a side stitch which stayed with me the entire way. I cut the route short (ended up being about 1.75 miles), but it was really disappointing and difficult. I was in such a great place yesterday, and now I'm so discouraged. Cry I know that everyone has bad runs, but I'm trying to figure out why it went so badly. Usually, if I run first thing in the morning, I have a small bite to eat. Today I only had a few gulps of water, put on my contacts and running shoes, and went out. Also, should I have waited longer after my run yesterday? I haven't yet worked up to running consistently every day, since I find that I run much easier with a rest day or two in between. Oh well. Tomorrow: active rest (elliptical at the gym), Friday: back on the sidewalks! Evil grin
    Ed4

Barefoot and happy

My guess is that you're still recovering from your awesome run yesterday.
      Curious about running barefoot? Visit the new barefoot running group.
      zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Side stitches...ugh! Luckily they seem to be something that is rare once one has been running for a while. I got them fairly frequently when I first started. The trick is to concentrate on your breathing and time it better with your steps. I get them sometimes now if I am running with someone and talking, since it makes my breathing more erratic. k

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

This used to happen to me all the time. Some of the stitches I could run through and some were so bad they ended my run. But I hardly ever get them anymore, and I think it just improved with conditioning. I read somewhere else on here (or somewhere) about breathing, and one of the techniques I use when I get a stitch is to check my breathing: do a full outbreath until you can't exhale any more, then for the inbreath just let your lungs fill up naturally. I do this a few times and it usually takes care of it. Of course I am a beginner and I only know what worked for me. Good luck and congrats on your awesome run!

Another Passion

I experience the same occurrences with runs on subsequent days as well. I, too, felt great yesterday on my run and then today... ugh... felt like my legs were 4 times as heavy. I think that goes back to what Ed said about a good, hard run the day before. There will be good days and bad days. Hang in there! Smile

Rick
            "The will to win means nothing without the will to prepare." - Juma Ikangaa
            "I wanna go fast." Ricky Bobby
            runningforcassy.blogspot.com

Ick, side stitches. When I get them I have found that for some reason while running if I press the end of my water bottle into my side that hurts, the pain stops. Strange yes, but it works for me. That's great about your awesome run yesterday though! Isn't that such a great feeling?! Smile

Michelle

Thanks to all for the advice and encouragement! I have tried some breathing techniques in the past (inhaling deeply, then doing a series of short, quick exhales) and that seemed to get rid of side stitches a couple of times...normally I try to keep my breathing at 3 steps in and 3 steps out (I think this keeps me at a pretty slow, easy pace and prevents me from going too quickly and burning out). I'll try the other techniques, though, next time I find myself in pain! Thankfully, I can see that I don't get them as often as I did in the very beginning, so I guess I can deal once in a while if it means that eventually I won't have them at all - won't that be exciting! Cool I'm just going to focus on the great feeling I had during yesterday's run. Smile You guys are great motivators!
                  oh my! another fichtel! have you ever seen this? http://fichtelgebirgsmarathon.de/ someday I will run that. sorry to hijack the thread.
                    oh my! another fichtel! have you ever seen this? http://fichtelgebirgsmarathon.de/ someday I will run that. sorry to hijack the thread.
                    Wow, no I haven't! Smile Are you a Fichtel as well?
                      Yes I am! I've never met another (unrelated), so I had to respond when I saw your post.
                        I've never met an unrelated Fichtel, either. Smile That's awesome. I bet we get the same stupid prononciations when people try to say our last name aloud! You don't know any Fichtels in Minnesota or Texas or Oklahoma, by chance? I'm related to them.
                          No, and I'm surprised they exist! My clan is from upstate NY and there are a few in Connecticut, and now Boston. I'm in LA. This was set up as a joke, but it works: You can reach me @ peter@angryfichtel.com. I've done a bit of research about the name and the area that "we're from". I even spent months trying to track down this old VHS tape that spends a bit of time describing "Fichtelgebirge" (the video is boring and only worth it for the novelty factor).
                          jcasetnl

Yesterday noon I had an awesome run around Lake Harriet in Mpls: I felt on top of the world, I found a rhythm and stuck with it, I didn't have to stop and walk once, etc. Well, this morning I decided to do an "easy" run of about 2 miles around my house (the flattest course I could come up with). Not two blocks into it, I got a side stitch which stayed with me the entire way. I cut the route short (ended up being about 1.75 miles), but it was really disappointing and difficult. I was in such a great place yesterday, and now I'm so discouraged. Cry I know that everyone has bad runs, but I'm trying to figure out why it went so badly. Usually, if I run first thing in the morning, I have a small bite to eat. Today I only had a few gulps of water, put on my contacts and running shoes, and went out. Also, should I have waited longer after my run yesterday? I haven't yet worked up to running consistently every day, since I find that I run much easier with a rest day or two in between. Oh well. Tomorrow: active rest (elliptical at the gym), Friday: back on the sidewalks! Evil grin
                            The others covered the fatigue factor. Another potential issue is electrolyte replacement. If you like bananas, those are always good. Also, for side stitches, you might try a set of situps before your run. If you get them during a run, what I do is bend over and suck in/tighten my gut as hard as I can two or three times. Could have been worse. One time I got crazy and ate a plate of nachos one saturday night hanging with the friends, and I love jalepenos. Then I had a 4m race the next day. Big Dead mistake.
                              jcasetnl, thanks for the advice! Yes, I eat bananas sometimes - I guess I should stock up and make it a habit. Smile
                                As much as I love running now, it pains me when I hear people say they had a bad run....It's so funny because the majority of people (non-runners) don't understand the whole concept of a bad run...To so many people, EVERY RUN IS A BAD RUN...he he he... Good luck on your NEXT run!
                                "Every man's life ends the same way. It is only the details of how he lived and how he died that distinguish one man from another." -Ernest Hemingway

-When Chuck Norris wants popcorn, he breathes on Nebraska.

-Chuck Norris destroyed the periodic table, because he only recognizes the element of surprise.