Cascading injuries... toes now knee (Read 509 times)

I haven't been able to run since mid-December and really starting get a little worried. About a week before Christmas, I did a ~10 mile total (a few breaks) trail run. My feet and knees were a little sore, but nothing I haven't had before and some rest and Advil didn't fix. Up until that time, I had been experiencing some MN type symptoms but for whatever reason this run I didn't get them. I was feeling great the next day and did 4 miles on a road then 3 miles 2 days later. After the 3 miler, I developed some pain in my left knee and it just hasn't gone away. Now if I walk more than a few hundred yards, the pain comes back. The only way I can describe it is a sharp pain at the 5 o'clock position (12 being the top of my shin). I went to the dr and he said it was bursitis. I've followed his orders (RICE, NSAIDs, etc) and it hasn't really gotten better. There's no major swelling. It seems worse if I walk/run down hill. Steps and uphill is no problem. I'm starting to worry it's something worse like chonromalacia. Has anyone here had some thing similar? What did you do?
    Scout7

Is the pain on the outside of the knee, kind of near where your quad is, but on the outer edge, so to speak? Have you run on it at all since?
      Chris UK

I can't give you a diagnosis but perhaps a bit of sympathy. Looks like you have been running about the same time as me - I have had 2 knee injuries since April 2006 when I started. The first one (pain inside of right knee) gave me all sorts of doom and gloom and visions of my new running career being over before it had really started. I had no choice but to stop running until I felt no more pain when putting more than walking pressure on my knee. I did the same as you with RICE etc. It took 3 weeks to become totally pain free and then I started back to careful walk/jog. I did find that biking was not a problem with my injury so I kept up my aerobic fitness by doing more cycling. Is that possible for you?? If no improvement by the end of January perhaps you should go back to the doctor or get a second opinion. I did notice that 10 miles was a big jump in mileage for you so when you get back to running it might be more prudent to build up your mileage in smaller increments. I'm guilty of exactly the same thing but when inevitably something goes 'twang' you think "bugger why did I do that?" By then of course its too late. Hope you get back to running soon. Good luck.

3000 miles

Sub 19:00 for 5K  05-03-13 Clee Prom 5K - 19:00:66 that was bloody close!

Sub-40:00 for 10K 17-03-13 Gainsborough 10K - 39:43

Sub 88:00 for HM

Now that was a bath...

It sounds like your injury is on the opposite side that mine was but the symptoms sound similar. I too found down hill, down steps and even gentle declines painful. I went to a sports physio and they diagnosed damage to the articular cartilege of the knee with slight swelling of the IT band. They thought it was from me running too many hills too early in my training. I had regular massage, interferometry, ultrasound and of course lots of RICE. I was back running after 11 days but was told only to run on the flat for a week. I am now allowed to run elevations (2 weeks back running) but I am not supposed to run down hills yet. I really hope that your injury heals quickly! Can you cycle like Chris suggested? I know that I felt better able to emotionally handle my injury when i felt I was still getting the chance to sweat! Claire xxx
        • jlynnbob "HTFU, Kookie's distal tibia"
        • Where's my closet? I need to get back in it.
            I haven't even tried to run. I usually start off my runs with a short walk. When even that hurts, I get a little hesitant to increase the pressure on my knee. The pain is right next to my quad, on the backside edge of my patella. You are absolutely right about my jump in distance. I really didn't plan on running that far. We weren't sure how far "out and back" really was. It was just a good day to run and we wanted to maximize our time out there. I figured it was about 7 (my max at the time) but it was not and when you add hills into the mix it was probably the equivalent of more. I do try to bike every chance I get however it's just not as convenient to do so during my normal running times. I feel like the RICE is good and all, but nixed everytime I get up to walk, or at least that's what it feels like. I may just have to do what you did by totatlly not working it for a while and start from scratch. During those 3 weeks did you use any crutches? I appreciate the advice.
            Scout7

I'm gonna guess ITBS. I know that when I upped my mileage suddenly, I was d@mn near crippled for about a week. And I still felt it after every run for a looooong time (still do on occasion, but not as much). At this point, you need to work on stretching it, and getting it to not hurt so much. What's odd is that whenever I ran, it didn't bother me a whole lot. It was always AFTER I ran (well, before, too) that it was hurting.
              Chris UK

During those 3 weeks did you use any crutches? I appreciate the advice.
                No but I could just tell from walking that running would be too painful. I would avoid any prolonged walking as well at the moment. If you seriously feel the need for crutches then your pain is definitely more severe than mine and you should perhaps seek further advice.

3000 miles

Sub 19:00 for 5K  05-03-13 Clee Prom 5K - 19:00:66 that was bloody close!

Sub-40:00 for 10K 17-03-13 Gainsborough 10K - 39:43

Sub 88:00 for HM

I'll find out soon enough. I can walk short distances with no pain, but I'm wondering if walking those short distances is prolonging the recovery. I'm just thinking totally staying off it will speed the healing process.