Latest in Rainwear? (Read 142 times)

jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

I went for a run in a steady downpour last night and wore my old Gore-Tex running jacket.  Old as in I've had it for almost 20 years, but with relatively little wear.

It didn't do the job -- I was soaked by the end of the run, and was especially not happy about my wallet getting soaked though.  So what's the latest and greatest in lightweight, breathable, running rainwear?  Looking forward to your recommendations.  I live in Alabama, so for the most part, we're not talking about cold and rainy.  So I'm more looking for something geared towards moderate to warm weather as opposed to something I could wear out in space.

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

HappyFeat

DH loves this jacket. Extremely lightweight and breathable. Lifetime warranty too. He had a zipper malfunction and after a year and OR promptly  exchanged the jacket for new.

https://www.rei.com/product/846522/outdoor-research-helium-ii-rain-jacket-mens

I got a similar jacket for myself: the Patagonia Houdini and love it for same reasons. I will say they are minimalistic - no pockets other than the chest pocket that you can stuff the jacket into so you can carry it or pack it.

We both wore Sierra Designs waterproof jackets prior and sweat so much in them because of the lack of breathability that we were as wet as if we got rained on.

Don't make excuses for why you can't get it done. 

Focus on all the reasons why you must make it happen.

mikeymike

I don't believe it's possibe to stay dry when running in the rain so I usually just work on staying warm. You could put your wallet in a plastic ziplock bag.

Runners run

Altair5

Runs in the rain

I have the same question. In the heat of the summer the rain is not a problem since I will run shirtless, but if it rains in the winter I need protection.I have like a nylon hoodie thing I got for free when I registered for a marathon and it gets soaked through when running for any length of time in heavy rain. I wonder if there is some kind of waterproofing spray I could use on it? A online search found many highly rated jackets for the rain, but I prefer not to pay $100 for one if I can help it.

Long distance runner, what you standin' there for?
          Get up, get out, get out of the door!

Joann Y

I don't believe it's possibe to stay dry when running in the rain so I usually just work on staying warm. You could put your wallet in a plastic ziplock bag.

Yeah, same. Might wear a cap. And if it's cold I have a plan to get warm as soon as I get back. aka: hot shower.

ymmv

Run. Or run not.

There is no Dry.

stadjak

Interval Junkie --Nobby

Yeah, I consider my rain gear more of a "wet suit".  Just keeps the warm water near me.  I'm not even blaming the jacket.  My body's doing plenty to keep me wet from the inside of that thing.  A hat works, though. Anything with a visor.  Just gotta keep my peepers open in the downpour.

2021 Goals: 50mpw 'cause there's nothing else to do

DH loves this jacket. Extremely lightweight and breathable. Lifetime warranty too. He had a zipper malfunction and after a year and OR promptly  exchanged the jacket for new.

https://www.rei.com/product/846522/outdoor-research-helium-ii-rain-jacket-mens

I got a similar jacket for myself: the Patagonia Houdini and love it for same reasons. I will say they are minimalistic - no pockets other than the chest pocket that you can stuff the jacket into so you can carry it or pack it.

We both wore Sierra Designs waterproof jackets prior and sweat so much in them because of the lack of breathability that we were as wet as if we got rained on.

Gotta love the lifetime warranty, had a similar experience with Marmot. Your Houdini Jacket isn't waterproof, not sure if you realize that, it's a superlight windbreaker. I personally wouldn't run in a Gore-Tex jacket, it doesn't breath enough. I use an Arc'Teryx Beta AR for my rain jacket and 90% of the time it stays in my backpack. I'd rather just get rained on, and wear a hat to keep the rain outta my face. Gotta make a correction regarding the Houdini. Patagooch does make a waterproof version, The Alpine Houdini is waterproof, not the "regular" Houdini.

ch17

It's Tuesday every day

I've had the most luck running in good ole-fashioned unlined windbreakers, layering underneath (or not) as required. I don't stay completely dry, but it's about the best I'll do. I roll up the sleeves or unzip partway if I get too hot.

Or... there's always the trash-bag option. Why not? The people in cars will think, "Well, that guy's got some [body parts deleted]." Orrr... maybe they'll think you're a homeless person dashing away from your latest holdup. I'm not saying that homeless people commit holdups. I'm just explaining why a dude might be running down the street at top speed wearing a trashbag.

[Remind me to never drink and post again.] --Christine

ohanapecosh

I live in Seattle, so I run in the rain, A LOT.  The standard water-resistent precip jacket just does not cut it for me, at least not when it's cold outside as well as raining.  I adore my Goretex Patagonia Light Flyer jacket.  It's not widely available anymore, but you can still buy it on eBay.  (That's where I got mine.)  It does a good job of keeping me truly dry and is super lightweight.  I find it is adequately breathable.

Here's a link to a Men's Medium on Ebay now:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/PATAGONIA-LIGHT-FLYER-GORE-TEX-JACKET-NWT-MENS-MEDIUM-279-/142236281832?hash=item211df16be8:g:NxgAAOxyrrpThi8j

I run in the women's version.  I probably wear it 3 or 4 times a week at least, since they are nearly always predicting rain around here.

elrobbo

Link spam.