So how far is too far? (Read 1105 times)

I decided that today on my long run, I was going to break the 10 mile mark. I did. It's the farthest I've ever run, and it was a great feeling knowing that I did it. My feet though, were killing me around mile 8, and now my legs are so 'banged up' feeling. Joints hurt. It feels like it did after my first run. Is this just another set of pains that I'll adapt to and overcome? Like the first two or three weeks of running? Did I maybe go too far? This was the first time that I've stopped because of my legs and feet, and not my lungs like all other runs. I think I've finally figured out how to slow down!! Any advice would be great. Thanks a lot, Mike

~Mike

I decided that today on my long run, I was going to break the 10 mile mark. I did. It's the farthest I've ever run, and it was a great feeling knowing that I did it. My feet though, were killing me around mile 8, and now my legs are so 'banged up' feeling. Joints hurt. It feels like it did after my first run.
      Congrats. Awesome, ain't it?
      Is this just another set of pains that I'll adapt to and overcome? Like the first two or three weeks of running? Did I maybe go too far?
      Probably. I had lots of little pains as I increased my mileage. Almost all of them were just plain muscle soreness - to be expected since I was newly off the couch. Too far? Nah. You'll be fine. Just go easy for a day or three. If anything still hurts after that - then maybe ease off a bit next time.

When it’s all said and done, will you have said more than you’ve done?

It took me a long time to learn the lesson, your better off going around six miles for your long runs and from their on up, you need to add the miles progressively slow, if you wanna go faster, then go to a track and lift weights. I find no value in doing long slow runs at 60 percent of pace, they are boring at best and a waste of time and I always get an injury. However, its what works best for me, and something different may work for a different kind of person with a different build.
          Thanks Bonkin and Mt.E. I think I'll be fine and overcome these little pains. I'm also starting to lean toward mounteverest in some things though. I used to want to run a marathon. Work up to an iron man. I'm starting to aknowledge that those are just dreams, and the likelyhood of me actually doing it are pretty slim. I'm giong to keep running (I couldn't give that up!) and maintain where I'm at mileage wise for a while. That run was sooo boring, that I'm going to focus a little more on better sub ten miles than just trying to go as far as I can. Thanks for the replies guys. Mike

~Mike

Teresadfp

One day at a time

It seems like jumping from 7 to 10 miles on your weekly mileage might be pushing things a little. I'm increasing my long runs by only half a mile or so, and I'm running 30 mpw. I did my first 10-miler yesterday, and feel great today. I'm just leaving for a 5-mile run right now. Good luck! Teresa
              The Marathon starts as just a dream for everyone. The likelihood of you doing one (or more) could be great if you want it to be. Mere mortals can run marathons if they train properly. If your lungs are normally burning at the end of your runs, and your legs and feet feel all banged up after your long run then you're running it WAY too fast. I know you said you've learned to run slow, but I'm doubting it. I think it's more likely the speed is still killing you, not the distance. I was in my 40's when I did my first ten mile run/walk and I remember being physically exhausted but not in pain. A week later I did a run/walk of 11 miles. A week after that I did a run/walk of 12 miles*. Don't do anything you don't want to, but you're a young buck and there's no reason to give up on distance goals if you don't want to. You could even come to the dark side and take walk breaks on your long slow runs. *This was before I found RA, so I'm working from memory. Galloway has you increasing your long run/walk by a mile a week., and I kinda skipped over the cutback week part of the book...

E.J.
              Greater Lowell Road Runners
              Cry havoc and let slip the dawgs of war!

May the road rise to meet you, may the wind be always at your back, may the sun shine warm upon your SPF30, may the rains fall soft upon your sweat-wicking hat, and until you hit the finish line may The Flying Spaghetti Monster hold you in the hollow of His Noodly Appendage.

It seems like jumping from 7 to 10 miles on your weekly mileage might be pushing things a little. I'm increasing my long runs by only half a mile or so, and I'm running 30 mpw. I did my first 10-miler yesterday, and feel great today. I'm just leaving for a 5-mile run right now. Good luck! Teresa
                I agree with Teresa. Don't push the long runs too fast. I normally don't increase by more than one mile at a time. I find that the smaller increases help to avoid the pain (not soreness, pain) that can come from too much, too fast. Don't worry - you'll get there, and enjoy the view as you do! Jeff

"You can't have everything. Where would you put it?" - Steven Wright

If your lungs are normally burning at the end of your runs, and your legs and feet feel all banged up after your long run then you're running it WAY too fast. I know you said you've learned to run slow, but I'm doubting it.
                  Yup, I agree I've been going too fast up till now. I'll drop down to 7 miles with the same pace I did today for the next few weeks and I should be fine. Thanks for all the replies guys!!

~Mike

Hey Mike, I just took a peek at your log and I only saw one other run over six miles in the past month (and it was just four days before your ten miler...) If you do a weekly long run, you can build on it quite easily. If you let more than two weeks go, you're losing conditioning and muscle memory. Once you get up into the 16-20 mile range, you can let it go for three weeks now and then.

E.J.

May the road rise to meet you, may the wind be always at your back, may the sun shine warm upon your SPF30, may the rains fall soft upon your sweat-wicking hat, and until you hit the finish line may The Flying Spaghetti Monster hold you in the hollow of His Noodly Appendage.

Teresadfp

One day at a time

As a follow-up to my previous post, my 5-mile run, one day after my 10-mile run, was WONDERFUL!! Felt like I was walking on air. So increasing my long run very gradually is working out great. Smile
                      protoplasm72

Yup, I agree with everyone above. To much to soon. Just wanted to add don't give up on your longer term goals because 10 miles hurts now. When I was building up my miles I did plenty of 7 and 8 mile runs that I thought were the max I'd ever be able to run. Now that is the average distance I run every day. Just build up slowly and there is no reason you can't keep going further. Trust me once you get to the point where you can run a 10 miler without being in pain you won't think it is boring.

Son, when you participate in sporting events, it's not whether you win or lose; it's how drunk you get. -- Homer Simpson

Don't forget to take an easy week every 4rth week... where you cut back your long run... I didn't do that enough last year and well paid for it... with minor injuries that forced me to cut back...
                          Teresadfp

One day at a time

Don't forget to take an easy week every 4rth week... where you cut back your long run... I didn't do that enough last year and well paid for it... with minor injuries that forced me to cut back...
                            So if my last three long runs have been 9, 9.6, and 10, how long should I run next week? Thanks!
                              So if my last three long runs have been 9, 9.6, and 10, how long should I run next week? Thanks!
                              The figure I've seen used most often is cut back to fifty percent of your longest recent run, every third or fourth week.

E.J.

The figure I've seen used most often is cut back to fifty percent of your longest recent run, every third or fourth week.
                                yeah like 6-7... and don't run fast... take it easy...