Look What I Can't Do! (Read 968 times)

nkeliher

Running nut

1000 miles - I fell just 20 miles short! If I could have just found some time to run over Thanksgiving and Christmas but weekends and holidays are when I find it hardest to make the time. Anyway, I'm not that disappointed. I started off the year with the goal of 1000km (621 miles) which I was unable to accomplish in 2007. I passed that easily while ramping up for my first marathon ever (Bay State - 3:41:52), so I revamped my goal just to keep me motivated post-race and I think it served its purpose even if I didn't meet it. I've never been much of a goal setter in any area of my life, and I think I'm growing to like it. My goal for 2009 is consistency: minimum 100 miles per month which will put me at 1200 for the year. I'm also toying with the idea of doing a half marathon in the first part of the year - if that goes well then I might go for my 3:10 BQ at next year's Bay State. Have a safe and happy new year and I'll see you online in 2009!
      It's not too late! You have about 8 hours to run 20 miles... Tongue
      nkeliher

Running nut

I guess I did have plenty of time but I squandered it by bringing in the new year with my wife and friends. I guess there are probably some things more important than running. Maybe I should have called the thread "Look What I Can Almost Do".
          Uh, go easy on yourself Nate. You hit your mileage goal, and you managed to ramp up really quickly and finished your first marathon. Sounds like a good year to me, and you've set a good goal for the new year. Keep wearing those soles down, and best of luck in your pursuit of a BQ!

E.J.
          Greater Lowell Road Runners
          Cry havoc and let slip the dawgs of war!

May the road rise to meet you, may the wind be always at your back, may the sun shine warm upon your SPF30, may the rains fall soft upon your sweat-wicking hat, and until you hit the finish line may The Flying Spaghetti Monster hold you in the hollow of His Noodly Appendage.

nkeliher! Glass half full please! You ran over 50% more miles that you anticipated and scored a very impressive 3:41 marathon debut! That sounds like a huge year to me! If you definitely have a BQ in there if you want it....
              Consistency is a great goal. I think I might steal that and do the same, my monthly milage is so spotty. Good luck to you in 2009, you can do it!
              2009 Goals: Under 4 hr marathon reach and maintain 125 lbs PR in at least 3 distances 1300 miles Complete my first Ultra
              Dunottar

Cool
                nkeliher! Glass half full please!
                I'd say that and more....if it were beer, the foam would be running down the sides. You accomplished a LOT in '08 and have some good, attainable goals for this year.. Best of luck to you in '09.......more importantly: run smart! [FWIW - I semi-seriously considered stopping short of 1,500 to give me additional motivation for '09. But, alas, the 'carrot' was just too close and tempting.]Shy
                nkeliher

Running nut

You guys are great - thanks for the encouragement. I was probably being a bit melodramatic anyway. I'm really looking forward to a great 2009. First goal, stop eating candy and lose the 5 pounds I gained over the holidays. They were fun to gain and will be even more fun to burn off :-)