Run/Walk Half Marathon (Read 794 times)

arotrame

I sue to lurk around the cool runnings board but those suck now that Active has taken them over! Shy I read that this is the place to be and thought I'd stop by to get everyone elses two cents on my question! Just wondering if there is anyone else out there lurking around who is starting to train to run/walk a half marathon? My husband and I, on a whim, decided to try a half marathon last year with no training....our goal was just to finish. It was great fun and this year we're actually preparing for one this spring. Just wondering what types of programs others are using. We're using the run/walk from Marathoning For Mortals. So far, I like it alot. The other question I came up with was why people run/walk? For me, it's because I'm trying to build endurance because there is no way I would finish a half marathon without walk breaks. Wondering if there are other thoughts about it....

SMART Approach

Most people who do the run/walk are like you - because they have to. There a other runners in solid shape who train the Galloway way taking walk breaks on long runs. Probably nothing wrong with it but once in very good running fitness, just run!!! UNLESS, you have biomechanical issues requiring you to mix in running. Curious to know if you and your husband have continued to run after that half marathon. If not, not healthy to retrain every year especially if going for a full marathon. It takes a long time of running and base building to prepare for full marathon. A half is doable on a whim but a full marathon is another animal. Good luck and train smart and take your time.

Run Coach. Recovery Coach. Founder of SMART Approach Training, Coaching & Recovery

Structured Marathon Adaptive Recovery Training

Safe Muscle Activation Recovery Technique

www.smartapproachtraining.com

Run/walk has suited most of mankind since the get go. As you have experienced, if you walk some and run some you can normally cover more distance--maybe not as fast--but you can get there. If run/walked worked for you last year, jumping in and participating in a half marathon on a whim, and you are back for more this year--I guess it is working for you. I have run/walked in training and in ultra marathons. I have also ran about every step of a marathon. I find the run/walk a more enjoyable activity. I attribute my longevity in running (32 yrs--in 2 months) and over 65,600 miles to taking it EZ. Run/walk may possibly reduce the risk of injury and may even end up being fun. Some runners may think walking while out running is a sign of weakness/not being fit, for me, I am just glad folks are out moving and hopefully having fun. If you are in for the long run--just keep moving. Run/walk/sprint/skip/walk backwards--have fun. Try not to take yourself too seriously, and please--enjoy your journey. Nick
        arotrame

Tchuck - thanks for your response. Last May, we were in town for the weekend and randomly decided to do the Green Bay Half...my husband is from that neck of the woods. Prior to that, we would run but not consistently. We had done a 5K and the Crazylegs before that. Neither of us are out to really race...we just enjoy the atmosphere and would always like to PR. When we did the last half we decided we would run/walk whatever felt comfortable so just so we could finish. We had no time goals in mind really. After the race, we were obviously sore. Wink We've been run/walking since then but not really following any program. Usually 3-5 miles a couple of times a week. The biggest difference now is that we're making sure we do one long run each week. We're both big people (me, 200 pounds & my husband 275) so run walking works for us. Ideally we'd like to eat healthier and drop pounds too. But, we do enjoy running just to get out and be doing something. So to answer your question...yes, we've be running but not regularly. Just to clarify, we're actually tackling the half again this year. Not ambitious enough or fit enough to try for a full.

SMART Approach

Because you have been more consistent, this year should be improved over last year. Sounds like your plan is working just fine. Slowly build on it if you wish. Dropping weight by itself will lead to PRs. Good job on being more active and making it fun. Moving the body is key. You guys will continue to get fitter and progress I am sure. I assume you guys live in Madison or WI. I live in Green Bay and do the GB Half every year (since it started). Nice event. Always nice to have beer and brats after a long, hard race. Ha!

Run Coach. Recovery Coach. Founder of SMART Approach Training, Coaching & Recovery

arotrame

I'm going to hijack my own thread and ask some more questions..... First off, this week my runs included a long run of 7 miles - switching between running 3 and walking 2. The mid week runs are run 3, walk 1 for 44 minutes. How far, realistically, should I be able to run if I wanted to run continuously? Secondly, when I do a run/walk plan like I do should my pace for long runs be slower? Or should I run at a "regular pace" since I'm having a regular walk break. Right now, I guess I just run. I felt comfortable at the end of today's 7 miles. My lungs were good...my legs were a bit tired but all in all I could have kept running. Should I push myself more or just log the miles and be done with it? Lastly, it's a beautiful winter day here in southwest wisconsin and I took advantage of it by going outside for part of my run. I ran 4 miles outside and then went inside to the treadmill for my last 3 miles. I enjoyed running outdoors but actually felt it was easier outside than inside....additionally, I find running with a 1% grade is tough so I was pleasantly surprised when I went outside and found it comfortable.
                Your body will adapt to whatever amount of running you demand of it. If you continue to run/walk then that's what it will adapt to. If you choose to increase the intensity of your runs by running more and walking less then your body will adapt to that. It all depends on how much time and effort you are willing to invest. Many runners start out run/walking because it suits their level of conditioning but work their way up to just running as their conditioning improves. Tom

SMART Approach

I have an inkling you are running a bit fast for your walk/runs????? Do you feel you need to walk when you do or just mix it in. You should not be pushing it on your runs. There are a few questions to ask yourself as Figbash was getting at. Do you want to continue to walk/run? With spouse or train on your own???? If you were to run slower, could you run farther or you just don't feel you have the conditioning to keep running no matter what the speed? Maybe you want to continue to mix in walking but at further intervals. Or do you guys truely want to get faster and increase training? If the latter, then you have to do more running, slowly increasing miles and time running vs. walking. Try running slower and longer. You should reach a point where you don't need to walk or maybe on your long runs do 7-10 min run. 1 min walking. Your other training days, shoot for not having to walk. You will progress, it just takes time and consistency.