How I earned my HTFU badge today (Read 984 times)

Wow did I HUFT today! I was watching the weather at noon and they said that there was rain coming but it wouldn't be here for another few hours so I got my ass in gear and finally got out. It was spitting a little bit on the way to the place I was going to run. It didn't look like it was going to do all that much though. All the dark clouds were south and east from where I was. I thought I was in the clear. I was wrong. I set my goal for doing 4 miles today from 6 because of the weather and I did make it but close to my 2 mile turnaround, the wind really picked up so I didn't want to risk it any more and I turned around. Before that I could hear thunder and see lightning to the south. So the wind blew like crazy for a few minutes literally pushing me along. It was kind of cool except for all the sand that came with it. I got a free dermabrasion treatment today. Right after the wind came the rain and the hail. OUCH! That hurt like a son of a bitch! Luckily I had my hat and sunglasses on so my face was pretty much protected. That and the hail was mostly hitting my back and my left side. I had to run in this for a little over a mile. It sucked. What sucked the most though was the lightning. I knew I had shelter coming up so I really HTFU to get there quickly as you can see in my pace. I finally got to and underpass about a mile away from the parking lot I was in and found some relief. There were 9 of us under there taking shelter. That was kind of neat. I think I was the most drenched since I was the only crazy ass runner out there. I was under the shelter for maybe 5 minutes before the rest of the storm blew over and then I was one of the first out. I just wanted to get to the bathroom and my car. My everything was soaked, especially my shoes and socks. Luckily I wore my old shoes so it doesn't really matter if they get drenched or not. All in all it was the most exciting run I have had in a long damn time. I definately HTFU today!!!
    Finished my first marathon 1-13-2008 in 6:03:37 at P.F. Chang's in Phoenix. PR in San Antonio RnR 5:45:58!!!!!! on 11-16-08 The only thing that has ever made any difference in my running is running. Goal: Break 2:30 in the HM this year Jay Benson Tri (place in Athena category) 5-10-09
    CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

Sounds like a challenging day out. Good stuff. Wink

Half Fanatic #9292. 

Game Admin for RA Running Game 2023.

That's hilarious! I'm glad you didn't run into anything too serious though. And a free dermabrasion! Can't beat that! Big grin

A Saucy Wench

Glad you didnt get struck by lightning!

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

Glad you didnt get struck by lightning!
            Me too! That was my only worry!
            Finished my first marathon 1-13-2008 in 6:03:37 at P.F. Chang's in Phoenix. PR in San Antonio RnR 5:45:58!!!!!! on 11-16-08 The only thing that has ever made any difference in my running is running. Goal: Break 2:30 in the HM this year Jay Benson Tri (place in Athena category) 5-10-09
            Teresadfp

One day at a time

Wow, I would have been scared and set a PR for sure! That's one way to get some quality speedwork in! I'm glad it turned out OK.
              kcam

Way to go. It's running in conditions like that that make it easy to run in good conditions. I had an opposite experience today. Went out for my 8 miler and started with a heavy head-wind but other than that a perfect 65 deg day. After a quarter mile I stopped and looked back the way I came, head bowed, spirit broken, wanting badly to just call it a day. I finally convinced myself to run for about 3 and 1/2 miles so not a total loss but man I did not HTFU. I let a little head-wind crush me. I'm running some tough hills tonight as penance.
                  You da'man! Way to stick with it. Kevin
                  Don't let the fat fool you .....
                    You da'man! Way to stick with it. Kevin
                    No Kevin....I'm da'WOman! Tongue

Another Passion

Doesn't Chi-running teach one how to run between the pellets of hail? Roll eyes

Rick
                      "The will to win means nothing without the will to prepare." - Juma Ikangaa
                      "I wanna go fast." Ricky Bobby
                      runningforcassy.blogspot.com

Go Pre!

Thatis cool Turbo. What does the badge actually look like? I have yet to receive mine.

Imminent Catastrophe

Years from now, you will remember this run. All those runs in nice, pleasant weather, will have been long forgotten. BTW you posted "HUFT" . All I have to say is "WTF?" I know what you meant but, dude, pay attention!

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

Great job! I was envious reading that. It can be cool when you go through some, "Wow, that was crazy," stuff. And come out OK, of course. Me? I had a boring sunny 57ish degree slightly breezy on the return route run. You daWOman!
                              Thatis cool Turbo. What does the badge actually look like? I have yet to receive mine.
                              It looks like red bumps on your skin from the hail hitting it. Clowning around