Updating Garmin firmware w/o installing Express...? (Read 126 times)

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Is this possible?  I likely need to update the firmware on my Edge 500 bike computer, as I haven't done so in probably 2 years and it's been a little flaky and hasn't paired well to new cadence/speed sensor.  But when I go to Garmin's site it appears as if I have to download Express in order to update Communicator.  Any work-arounds for any Garmin devices (my 210 could probably benefit from updating, as I've not done anything update-wise in well over a year)?

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Hmmm...I *think* I may have found the solution.  I appears that Web Updater still works for Mac, though I really had to dig on Garmin's site to find that.  They automatically want to push people to Express, clearly.  We shall see if this still works.

~ Sarah Kay

Possible?

I'm still using a 305 and thought it needed a firmware update. The "only" way to get it was to install the Garmin Express/Connect. No updates, but the interesting thing was RA now recognized 3 weeks worth of runs that wouldn't upload for the last 3 weeks. Strange.

Garmin Express is only compatible with Garmin Connect. If you install it, you will no longer be able to upload your workouts to RunningAHEAD.com or any other websites. I am working on a way to work around the problem. Please refrain from installing it until then.

And it worked again this morning. Strange indeed.

Get off my porch

From the Internet.

I installed Express before the message not to install it appeared on the RA upload page. Never had a problem using both, I couldn't tell you why though.

Slo

I have a 310xt, installed Garmin Express before getting the RA info...I have never been able to upload directly to RA.

I've unistalled everything and still no luck.

And garmin connect sucks.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Fortunately the Web Updater client still works for Mac...and both of my Garmin devices were overdue for firmware updates.  I hope the client will work in the future, too.  Is there nothing like this for PC?

~ Sarah Kay

bhearn

I just got a 920, and I have no choice but to use Express / Connect with it. Fortunately, RA upload from the device still works fine (the only difference from the 310 being that I now have to connect via USB).

BTW, when did that dialog from the Garmin Communicator plugin, that gives RA permission to get the data, appear? It didn't use to do that. I'm assuming it was a recent update to the plugin. Is there some way to not have to do that every single time? It's especially annoying when I upload multiple workouts at once. Every time I go back the GPS upload screen to edit and save the next workout, I have to give permission again, though I'm already done uploading.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

So...do none of these options work for PC, rather than being forced into using Express?

~ Sarah Kay

TeaOlive

old woman w/hobby

BTW, when did that dialog from the Garmin Communicator plugin, that gives RA permission to get the data, appear? It didn't use to do that. I'm assuming it was a recent update to the plugin. Is there some way to not have to do that every single time? 

Yes, it's driving me crazy.  Why isn't there a button that says don't ask me again?

steph  

runnerclay

Consistently Slow

I have a 310xt, installed Garmin Express before getting the RA info...I have never been able to upload directly to RA.

I've unistalled everything and still no luck.

And garmin connect sucks.

+1.

ps: works on the seldom use desktop in family room. Will not download GE!

Run until the trail runs out.

SCHEDULE 2016--

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

unsolicited chatter

http://bkclay.blogspot.com/

running metalhead

I was checking out the interwebs like crazy as I not only have a Garmin FR220 but I am also a Linux user.

I just found out that the device mounts as an USB mass storage device, very straightforward. So that you can just use the "upload from file" option and get the TCX from the device directly. AFAIK this works also for the 305 and any other Garmin device that connects via USB. After having downloaded the file once your browser will remember the folder so that it is pretty quick.

I was able to install the plugin in Ubuntu and it works, no big deal. Not so with Garmin Express so that I had to do it on my Macbook Pro (it's not really mine, but belongs to the company I work for). 

Just a pity that I can't connect to RunForth app directly, would be cool.

Anyway: The ability to upload workouts into the device, the speed of the GPS connection and the lightness of the FR 220 makes it worth the effort (or I could just install Windows, LOL).

- Egmond ( 14 januari )            :  1:41:40 (21K)
                        - Vondelparkloop ( 20 januari ) :  0:58.1 (10K but did 13.44!!!)
                        - Twiskemolenloop ( 4 maart )  :   1:35:19 (3th M45!)

- Ekiden Zwolle (10K)   ( 25 maart )
                        - Rotterdam Marathon ( 8 april )
                        - Leiden Marathon Halve ( 27 mei )
                        - Marathon Amersfoort ( 10 juni)

runnerclay

Consistently Slow

I was checking out the interwebs like crazy as I not only have a Garmin FR220 but I am also a Linux user.

I just found out that the device mounts as an USB mass storage device, very straightforward. So that you can just use the "upload from file" option and get the TCX from the device directly. AFAIK this works also for the 305 and any other Garmin device that connects via USB. After having downloaded the file once your browser will remember the folder so that it is pretty quick.

I was able to install the plugin in Ubuntu and it works, no big deal. Not so with Garmin Express so that I had to do it on my Macbook Pro (it's not really mine, but belongs to the company I work for). 

Just a pity that I can't connect to RunForth app directly, would be cool.

Anyway: The ability to upload workouts into the device, the speed of the GPS connection and the lightness of the FR 220 makes it worth the effort (or I could just install Windows, LOL).

All I understood was "works also for 305 and any other Garmin device"

Run until the trail runs out.

SCHEDULE 2016--

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

unsolicited chatter

http://bkclay.blogspot.com/

So if I understand this correctly I should be able to upload from my 310XT through the USB? I have not tried that but I will. Agree Garmin Connect is nowhere near R/A - I havn't been able to upload since September!