Suggestions for making running with a stroller easier? (Read 1650 times)

seeEricaRun

Awesome

I hate running with a stroller, and I realized yesterday that it isn't the extra weight that I mind, it's that I can't swing my arms and therefore it feels like my hips don't rotate all the way. Usually my solution is to make my husband push it, but that only works when he's around. Anyone have suggestions to make running with a stroller easier? I'm using a B.O.B. Ironman, if that makes any difference.

Feeling the growl again

-Make sure it tracks straight

-Put on a tether.  Run a flat area, so you can just give it a nudge forward every few steps and spend most of time out of contact with the stroller so you can swing your arms normally.  You really need to be somewhere you can do this safely for the kiddo though.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

jeffdonahue

Dont put the kids in it. 

If you do, and its a double stroller, be ready to have to compensate for whichever side the heavier kid is on.

joescott

perhaps this is obvious, but it took me a few runs to figure it out (draw your own conclusions):  lock the front wheel.

- Joe

We are fragile creatures on collision with our judgment day.

The suggestions above are good.  But if your stroller doesn't track straight, or if  you cannot run in a flat area or pass it off on your husband, then here's my advice: leave it (and the kid and husband) at home.  

"We are not talking about gorse-bushes," said Owl crossly. "I am," said Pooh.

It took me a while but eventually I got used to it.  I don't have this device but it might be worth a try for you...

http://www.stroll-smart.com/

Looks sort of awkward to me but may be worth a try.

Mr Play

I can't stand pushing it with both hands.  I only do that up steep hills.  Otherwise I alternate pushing with my left hand for a while, then my right  hand.  I've never timed it or anything, but I'd say probably a minute or so for each turn.  If I'm pushing with my right hand, sometimes I find myself running to the left a little so I can stretch my stride out and vice versa.  It took some getting used to, but the feel isn't that much different to me now.  The weight and the wind slow me down a minute or so per mile, but the arm movement isn't that noticeable for me.

I also can't stand pushing it with the front wheel locked.  Sometimes if I'm going too fast down a hill the front wheel will start to wobble, so I just push down to lift the wheel off the ground slightly as I'm slowing it down.  Otherwise I haven't had any problems.

RunAsics

The Limping Jogger

I can't stand pushing it with both hands.  I only do that up steep hills.  Otherwise I alternate pushing with my left hand for a while, then my right  hand.  

Whenever possible I push it forward while holding the tether but generally I do the same thing.  My form is impacted but I've never gone much beyond 1 hr so it's not a big deal.   It does take some practice.   My biggest issue these days is a screaming kid in the stroller - that is until I tell her we are turning around and going home or slow down and walk.

Note that I have the BOB Sport Utility and sometimes wish I had the Ironman w/ skinny tires.  My wife is not keen on the stroller, probably because she's shorter and finds it hard to turn / control with one hand.  She wishes we had the Revolution...  can't win.

The stroll-smart device looks great for running on a straight path on a decline, as per the video...

"Only a few more laps to go and then the action will begin, unless this is the action, which it is."

DoppleBock

Put your kid on a diet 

I hate running with a stroller, and I realized yesterday that it isn't the extra weight that I mind, it's that I can't swing my arms and therefore it feels like my hips don't rotate all the way. Usually my solution is to make my husband push it, but that only works when he's around. Anyone have suggestions to make running with a stroller easier? I'm using a B.O.B. Ironman, if that makes any difference.

Long dead ... But my stench lingers !

Buzzie

Bacon Party!

If you would run like an ostrich or a t-rex, you would be more efficient and wouldn't need to swing your arms. Wink

Liz

pace sera, sera

seeEricaRun

Awesome

It took me a while but eventually I got used to it.  I don't have this device but it might be worth a try for you...

http://www.stroll-smart.com/

Looks sort of awkward to me but may be worth a try.

Ooooh. Good find! Do you ever find yourself kicking the stroller? How hard is it to steer?

seeEricaRun

Awesome

If you would run like an ostrich or a t-rex, you would be more efficient and wouldn't need to swing your arms. Wink

If I ran like a horse, I wouldn't have any arms to swing. I'd also be kind of awesome.

Ooooh. Good find! Do you ever find yourself kicking the stroller? How hard is it to steer?

I don't own it so I couldn't say, sorry.  I just happened across it when I was searching for strollers a few months back.  

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

If I ran like a horse, I wouldn't have any arms to swing. I'd also be kind of awesome.

Plus you could just poop whilst running.

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

seeEricaRun

Awesome

Plus you could just poop whilst running.

Not being a horse doesn't stop some people from doing this.