Oh, the crazy shit I allow myself to get roped into... (Read 3222 times)

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Today was the race...I ended up not racing, unfortunately.  Long story short -- I held off registering, since we weren't sure if a friend was going to be able to race, due to work schedule, and if we'd need to consolidate some teams.  She was able to race, but by the time we knew it the race had filled up.  They had a cap of 75 riders and up until about 10 days ago it was sitting in the 40s.  Virtually overnight a wave of people registered, so I got to spectate, which was its own reward.

3 days ago we had NO snow on the ground.  Over the course of the past 48 hours the race venue got about a foot of snow--perfect timing!  This was the first fat bike ride in snow for at least 3/4 of the field. There is talk of doing another one of these races next month, so if I can get my hands on a bike (our LBS sold the XS demo one they had in stock, once they knew that the team I was to be on was out of the race).

Hubby got to race with a friend.  Here he is coming into the exchange area on one of his early laps.

I would not be at all surprised to have one of these goofy bikes, myself, by next year.  DS and I are already discussing being a team, then.  His inseam is not a whole lot shorter than mine as is (2-3").  There is a VERY strong chance that by next year we'll be able to share a bike without any noticeable difference in saddle height...perfect! Big grin

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

And some excellent video from the guy who does almost all of the cycling race photography in this area.  Even though I pretty much loathe Winter, it was a beautiful and perfect day for this race.

~ Sarah Kay

You'll ruin your knees!

Wow, great quality in that video. Looks like fun. Did i see some bikes that were regular mountain Bikes? The course didn't look much like it required fat tires.

""...the truth that someday, you will go for your last run. But not today—today you got to run." - Matt Crownover (after Western States)

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Yup, a few people were on "skinny" bikes.  I think most of them were doing the solo 3-hour option.

Since we've only had the one big storm system we don't have a ton of snow on the ground.  In a more typical year the fat bikes would have definitely been a greater advantage.  This snow was generally pretty wet and sticky, too.  I think with fluffier stuff the regular mountain bikes would have been less adept.  Until we got the snow, the fat bike folks have been doing a lot of beach rides.  Those fat tires can float along on loose sand that would have all other bikes sinking in.  There's even a fat bike that has 5" wide tires...crazy.  They are especially great on the beach.

~ Sarah Kay

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I was feeling sorta guilty about not racing yesterday, so diddidit put my studded tires on my CX bike (we bought them almost 2 months ago and haven't needed them until now).  Damn, that was 12 fun miles!  25 degrees w/13 degree windchill.  It really didn't feel that bad.  I was actually a little overdressed on top.  Roads were mostly an inch or so of well-packed snow, icy stuff, and some slush where it had been salted/sanded near stops.  People looked at us like we were nuts (not that that's a bad thing, of course).

Don't tell my road bike, but I really like my CX bike best.  It's the most fun/bang for the buck.  And studded tires on clear sections of road sound like bacon frying! Big grin

~ Sarah Kay

xhristopher

Sounds like a blast! I'd live to take one of those bikes for a spin.

I went for a long(ish) run today and it was 16 at the start and 11 at the finish. Running a popular route, I wondered how many runners I'd encounter... Well, the first person I came across was on a bike (nice ti mtn bike) out for a ride. Double negative digit wind chill be damned!

I'm always thankful to find people crazier than me.

In the end, I saw 4 other runners total. 

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I'm not sure I'd bike if the windchill was much below maybe 5 and then only on a mtn. bike in a heavily wooded/sheltered area.  Sub-zero windchill on a bike?  No way.  I think that person you saw on the Ti bike has Ti balls!  Running in the cold is definitely easier than biking in it--biking requires so much more clothing and gear to stay warm.  

And, damn, canti brakes don't work for shit when it's cold and sloppy and the rims are coated in frozen stuff.  Next CX bike will definitely have disc brakes.  I'm really hoping those start to become more widely available.  I don't think my Redline can take discs, unfortunately.  My next road bike (years away) will have discs, too.  I think cantis and V-brakes will be a thing of the past in another 5-10 years.

~ Sarah Kay

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Here's a REALLY well done video from the race.  I think about 5:40 in was Danielle Musto -- Google her if you want to know more about her accomplishments.  She is one of the sweetest, most down to earth badasses I have ever met.  In EVERY race photo she is smiling, even when she's busting major ass.  She gets paid to do something she loves and is good at.  What a life!

~ Sarah Kay

Outside Lane

What a great video....pure Michigan?

See how they run...

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

What a great video....pure Michigan?

Really, the dept of tourism should expand their Winter travel campaign! Smile

~ Sarah Kay

xhristopher

Hey, I saw "nice ti mtn bike" guy again this weekend while I was out for my longish run. It was much nicer today at 26 with little wind. He needs to get roped into this crazy shit race.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Hey, I saw "nice ti mtn bike" guy again this weekend while I was out for my longish run. It was much nicer today at 26 with little wind. He needs to get roped into this crazy shit race.

You should tell him that Salsa makes a Ti Mukluk... Big grin

~ Sarah Kay

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I rode this today:

Thing weighs a TON (pushing 40#s-->2x the weight of my road bike and about 15#s heavier than my CX bike.  Probably about 5#s more than my mtn. bike)!  I can see why people go for the rims with the holes drilled in to save weight (save a couple of pounds).  It didn't feel so heavy while riding, but on a few stretches where I had to push it up steep hills with slick roots it was a HARD workout.

Fun as hell to ride, though.  Some snowy spots were still a bit sketchy--they were that sort of loose, crystalized snow that has thawed a bit and refrozen repeatedly...like a slushy, almost.  But sand...damn, the thing just floats over sand like it's nothing.  Unreal.  Someday I'd definitely like one for riding miles up and down the beach.  Unfortunately we live in an old moneypit fixer-upper that we really need to get around to selling (so we can live <1 hour from our LBS and get in on more shop rides.  DH's work and DS's school are also a half hour away).

~ Sarah Kay

xhristopher

Check out Vibe Cycles' "Sleigh Ride." Whatever's in that flask is sure to keep you warm.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Whoa, a bamboo fatbike?!  That's crazy/cool!

~ Sarah Kay