Atom/RSS Feed for Workouts Page (Read 1005 times)

moorereason

I would like to be able to subscribe to an Atom/RSS for people's Workouts page. I have a few friends that also use RunningAHEAD, and I'd like to keep up with their progress via my feed reader, Bloglines.com. Thanks

Sine Metu

I would second this suggestion.

A lot of pressure in the middle of those shoulders / And we ain't gettin nothing but older / Ain't nothing change but the day we run from / But nobody knows that better than you,huh

Ed4

Barefoot and happy

While we're on the topic of RSS feeds, I would love to have one for the forums.
        Curious about running barefoot? Visit the new barefoot running group.
        guys

Unfortunately, i do not think this is in the plan currently http://runningahead.com/forums/post/d0ed50893c6a48a689b2c6bb62ed846b#focus
          moorereason

Ed4, I really don't care that much about having a feed for the forums. If you want to argue for that, go start another thread. Let's stay focused here. Big grin guys, The thread you linked to is discussing email and RSS notification for forums and group posts. Again, I really don't care about that. But... Eric does mention that bandwidth is part of the reason he's not using RSS right now. I don't know if that would be a an issue in this case, but I decided to work up a test case. I've hand-crafted a proof-of-concept Atom and RSS file for my workout log of 10 runs (I just started running). Getting rid of most of the white-space, the Atom file ends up being about 4kb, and the RSS file is 2kb. This is the first time I've messed with Atom, and it seems like overkill and a waste of bandwidth -- I'd have to go with RSS if it were me. Basically, all I do for the feed is create a simple "title" for the feed entry and leave the "body" blank. Most everything people will want to know will be in the Title. Eric, what do you think?

Getting rid of most of the white-space, the Atom file ends up being about 4kb, and the RSS file is 2kb. This is the first time I've messed with Atom, and it seems like overkill and a waste of bandwidth -- I'd have to go with RSS if it were me.
              If this is implemented, I'd say only offer RSS. If somebody wants an atom feed, let them burn it through feedburner and create one that way. As for what I think on actually implementing, I wouldn't mind seeing it but I am pretty ambivalent. I would burn it through feedburner (for the bandwidth reasons) if I wanted to subscribe to my own feed, and I'd likely only do that if I was going to use it on my website somehow. I might subscribe to other people's feeds, though. Another way to save on bandwidth would be to require people to set up a feedburner feed for themselves if they want it, and only allow access through feedburner. Google has plenty of bandwidth, after all. Just make sure that people can provide the feedburner URL so that it could be available to others if they want to share it.

Run to Win
              25 Marathons, 17 Ultras, 16 States (Full List)

moorereason

Blaine, Thanks for the comments. I don't use FeedBurner (although I subscribe to feeds that use it), so I'd be less enthusiastic about taking that route. That's one more stinking site I'd have to create an account on. Dead Regarding funding: one of the more successful "open and user-friendly" sites I've used in recent years is LibraryThing.com. Eric, I don't know if you've looked into that site before, but it may be a possible model to look into. They have a free "basic" account, but their pay accounts are cheap, and it's allowed them to grow and feel like their time isn't going down a rat-hole. Just a thought. I'm new here, and just want to help if I can. Thanks
                eric :)

moorereason, Thanks for the feedbacks. My main concern is bandwidth, since the RSS clients will be pounding my server. This problem maybe resolved when I move to a different hosting company. I might go with RSS since that seems to be a little more popular. It doesn't seem too hard. What kind of info should I include in the feed? As for paying for the site, quite a few members have stepped up and donated money. While that is still not enough to pay for the hosting, it reduced my out of pocket expense and I am very grateful for the generosity. There are basically two ways to generate money: fee and ad based. I don't like to impose a fee because I want it to be accessible to everyone and not just the ones that can afford it. You may argue that I can offer a free basic service and paid members get more features but how do you decide what is free and what is not? I've given this much thought and one way to draw the line is anything that requires extra resources (whether more computing time such as additional statistics or more bandwidth such as RSS) warrants a fee. I want to keep all users on the site as peers. Ads offer a good alternative solution to paid membership. My issue with it is that they can be distracting. Still, I need a way to let the site pay for itself, especially with new members joining every hour, there will be a time when it becomes too expensive to run the site without consistent revenue. I am considering some ads next year. eric Smile

I don't like to impose a fee because I want it to be accessible to everyone and not just the ones that can afford it. You may argue that I can offer a free basic service and paid members get more features but how do you decide what is free and what is not? I've given this much thought and one way to draw the line is anything that requires extra resources (whether more computing time such as additional statistics or more bandwidth such as RSS) warrants a fee. I want to keep all users on the site as peers. Ads offer a good alternative solution to paid membership. My issue with it is that they can be distracting. Still, I need a way to let the site pay for itself, especially with new members joining every hour, there will be a time when it becomes too expensive to run the site without consistent revenue. I am considering some ads next year. eric Smile
                    Eric, I think that that is a good way to think about it. Another item you can add to the list is "pay your fee and don't get served ads" as quite a few people would go for that I would tend to think.

Run to Win
                    25 Marathons, 17 Ultras, 16 States (Full List)

moorereason

Eric, I appreciate your concern for all users and share the same concerns. I mention it only because I've been astounded at how well the LibraryThing guys have handled themselves. Their scheme is basically this: - All users get all the same bells and whistles; no features are reserved be paid accounts - Free accounts get to catalog up to 200 books - Paid accounts just get to catalog as many books as they want (several people have over 10,000 books!) What I found most interesting about LibraryThing is that their upgrade page acts like a donation page. You can get a yearly account for as little at $6 on up to $20. Ultimately, however, it's the features of the site that make it profitable. The site is so dang useful that bibliophiles don't even blink about paying $25 for a lifetime membership. Anyway, I suppose you could setup a system were you can log up to 500(?) runs for free and after that you have to upgrade to a paid account.
                        Eric, Why don't you publish your net operating loss each month to help motivate all of us free loaders to pony up some additional donation cash? I also spent time in another forum that would add something along the lines of "RA Supporter" under the name of a poster if they made a donation to the site. Jason
                        eric :)

There are ways to generate revenue to reduce my out of pocket expenses. As I told some of the users via email, I'm more interested in creating new features than to scheme up ways to get money from you. I created the site so other runners can use it. If I place unreasonable restrictions on it, then it'll have the opposite effect. Jason: it is my policy not to disclose any operational details because I have no idea what would happen if that information is made public.