Running in the rain (Read 1532 times)

I barely change anything when it is raining, especially in warm weather. During the cold rain we had the other day, I wore my windshirt to help with the wet cold. I still wear my vibram fivefingers, event hough my toes get cold. Your feet do tend to get warmer as you run.

The biggest mistake you can make when running in the rain is to try to stay dry. In anything other than a gentle mist, it simply isn't possible. If you dress to stay dry by wearing rain proof outer layers, you won't get wet from rain but you'll get soaked from sweat. Jackets made of the so called "breathable" fabrics such as Gore-Tex simply don't allow enough moisture to pass through to prevent that from happening unless they are well ventilated.

When I run in the rain, I simply wear my regular running clothes. If it's warm, a pair of running shorts and a tech shirt is all that's needed. If it's cold, I wear a tight, wicking layer next to my skin, top and bottom, to pull the moisture away plus additional layers on top to stay warm. NEVER wear anything made of cotton when running in the rain. It will get water logged and conduct heat away from your body very quickly and it will also weigh a ton. Cotton also causes chafing quickly which makes it less than ideal any time you run. Other things I do is use Rain-X on my glasses, or wear a baseball cap so I can see, wear a thick pair of wicking socks to keep my feet warm (not dry) and wear a pair of wicking type glove liners if needed to keep my hands warm. I've run in pouring rain in near freezing temperatures with this system with no problems.

When running in the rain, dress to stay warm, not dry.

Tom

...---...

Second on the cotton thing - especially as a base layer. I mean, if you want to have nipples and avoid hypothermia, leave the cotton until after the run. Other than that, deliberately run through all the puddles. If running with a partner, try to splash him or her.

San Francisco - 7/29/12

Warrior Dash Ohio II - 8/26/12

Chicago - 10/7/12

Thanks for all the tips! As it turned out the rain came after my run so I avoided it for now but I'm sure it will come  later. Half the battle will be convincing my 4 legged training partner that the rain is not toxic!

Week three starts Monday, so wish me luck!

How was Day 1?

"If you have the fire, run..." -John Climacus

Buzzie

Bacon Party!

Thanks for all the tips! As it turned out the rain came after my run so I avoided it for now but I'm sure it will come  later. Half the battle will be convincing my 4 legged training partner that the rain is not toxic!

Week three starts Monday, so wish me luck!

Welcome to Week 3!

Your training partner is adorable. But... if it comes to it, you may need to suffer a run alone. Just know that he/she will be waiting at the window for your return.

(Really, I like running in the rain. The hardest part is getting out the door. After that - I'm wet and it just doesn't matter anymore. It's like being a kid all over again. )

Liz

pace sera, sera

How was Day 1?

I made it all the way through and was impressed that I made it 3 mins in a row (and I'll swear it was all uphill!!). I'm sure that's absolutly nothing for most of you guys, but hey I'm only on week three...it's an accomplishment for me!  Feels good Smile

Very nice, smaty.  Those three minutes will multiply quickly if you stick with it. 

"If you have the fire, run..." -John Climacus

The King of Beasts

I made it all the way through and was impressed that I made it 3 mins in a row (and I'll swear it was all uphill!!). I'm sure that's absolutly nothing for most of you guys, but hey I'm only on week three...it's an accomplishment for me!  Feels good Smile

3 min is about where I started.  keep at it.

"As a dreamer of dreams and a travelin' man I have chalked up many a mile. Read dozens of books about heroes and crooks, And I've learned much from both of their styles." ~ Jimmy Buffett

"I don't see much sense in that," said Rabbit. "No," said Pooh humbly, "there isn't. But there was going to be when I began it. It's just that something happened to it along the way."”