What's your mantra/slogan(what do you think about during your run)? (Read 1210 times)

Wally & Leela

About a year ago, on my first run over 5 miles, I somehow started saying/chanting to the rhythm of my feet "The Road To Hoe Is Low And Slow"(with all of the rhyming words being on my left foot strike and the others on my right foot strike). Where the actual phrase came from, I do not know...it just sort of came into my head at that moment. I guess,I just needed to have something to concentrate on at the time to keep my mind off of the fact that I was going for my longest run of my life(at the time). Well, it worked. I was only going to do 5.5 miles that night...and I ended up doing 6 miles and felt great while doing it. Ever since that night(a year ago), on just about every run, I find myself saying/chanting that same "mantra" or "slogan"...whatever you want to call it. I even find myself saying it while thinking about other things at the same time. Anyway...as I was running last night(and repeating in my head ,"The Road To Hoe Is Low And Slow", over and over and over),I got to wondering... Do any of you have a mantra/slogan/phrase that keeps your feet & legs moving? Or am I the only lunatic here??? Confused

It does not matter how slowly you go so long as you do not stop. --Confucius

Everything's Gonna Be Alright. Usually applies to any personal situation going on in my head or just making it through a tough run MTA: Sung to Marley, of couse!
      Ojo

What goes up must come down! Big grin Obviously I run in a hilly town!

Sara

MM #2929

mgerwn

Hold the Mayo

Lately my favorite is the one I found here "H-T-F-U" (done on a left foot rhythm, like you do). That gets tme through and reminds me to toughen up, it's only a little discomfort, it'll be forgotten soon.
          Kerry1976

Master of the Side Eye

I'm lame....I'll just start counting or will breathe in for two steps and breathe out for two steps.

TRUST THE PROCESS

Best Present Ever

i often just count. I felt sort of dumb and never admitted that to anyone until a read an article where Paula Radcliffe says she counts too. Unfortunately, counting hasn't brought my marathon pace down near world-record levels.

A Saucy Wench

I dont have anything I use most of the time...Any thing like that would drive me crazy on a long run. But if I am having a bad run often differnt songs or jingles will pop in my head. I cant remember most of them right now. "put one foot in front of the other" "what goes up must come down" damn I know there were a few commercial jingles that show up, but only under duress I guess. If I start counting I know I am struggling.

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

I have four mantras 1) "HTFU" 2) "Suck it up, weak ass!" 3) "Pain!" (but you have to say it like you like it) 4) "Hail to the Victors..."

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

Menace to Sobriety

One more mile and I'll walk a bit......when I finish that mile....one more mile and THEN I'll walk a bit....and so on and so forth until I'm done, never walking of course. Modified for typos

Janie, today I quit my job. And then I told my boss to go f*** himself, and then I blackmailed him for almost sixty thousand dollars. Pass the asparagus.

Jake440

I have two I like, kinda cheezy but they work for me. "I am a machine" - Since machines don't get tired, and repeat the same motion over and over without slowing down. "My form, my legs, my heart" - on this one as I say it to myself I focus on each part. When I think form I check how it is and make any necessary corrections. One legs I think about my training and how prepared I am for the race. And on heart I focus on how I want it more than the person in front of me. Mostly, I only use these in races or hard training days.
                        One more mile and I'll walk a bit......when I finish that mile....one more mile and THEN I'll walk a bit....and so on and so forth until I'm done, never walking of course
                        Amen to that one... Also "one more mile and I'll quit" and various things having to do with beer or something I really want to eat if I push an easy run "just one more mile"
                        2008 Goals Don't attack the guy that passes me like I'm standing still when I think I'm running fast...I can't catch him anyway and I'd just look silly
                          This might sound silly, but it's been working quite well for me (silly, because my runs are so short!). I pretend that I'm Jamie Donaldson during the last few miles of this years Badwater. She has totally inspired me and I know for sure that no matter how hard or how bad I think that I'm feeling, it's nothing compared to the effort and dedication that she put into that race. If she can do what she did, then I know that I can finish my little run.
                          ~ Mary ~

"Workouts are like brushing my teeth; I don't think about them, I just do them. The decision has already been made." - Patti Sue Plumer
                            "My form, my legs, my heart" -
                            LOVE That. Smile

Life Goal- Stay Cancer Free, Live my Best Life

" Choose Joy, Today and ALWAYS" 

I can get into a nice rythem going 1-2-3-breathe 1-2-3-breathe or 1-2-breathe or for a tempo run maybe 1-2-breathe. It kind of helps me to maintain a natural pace and heart rate without looking at monitors and such... I just run. For Cycling maybe something like "just keep spinning... just keep spinning... just keep spinning" and hope you don't make the sound audible enough for anyone to call the cops on you as an escaped wack-o. If the van shows up with straight jackets then it becomes a tempo ride.

Why is it sideways?

I think about all kinds of crazy crap.