Running Watches (Read 1301 times)

bschmieg

Watch recommendations, please.  I'm looking for a mid range running watch. Don't need more than stopwatch and timer/interval functions.  Looking for something durable.  The watches I've had lately have had problems with the band tearing or pulling away from the watch face.  Thanks.
      I have never had an issue with my suunto.

EDIT: Most of them are probably over kill for you, now that I think of it.

I've been using a Timex Ironman Sleek for a couple of years, and it's like the day I bought it.

"Because in the end, you won't remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn.  Climb that goddamn mountain."

Jack Kerouac

RunFree7

Run like a kid again!

Yeah I am a big fan of the Timex Ironman serious.  Had different watches from them and liked them all.  Just find one that has the features you want like number of laps and then search for the cheapest price.  I own the latest garmin but when I run laps I usually wear my Timex.  Mine just says Ironman - Triathlon on it. 

I own this one and love it.  I like the look and the feel plus the band is really cool as it has a lot of options on how tight/loose you can make it.  I've had this thing for 3 years and wear it all of the time.  Still looks good.  They have both a guys version and a girls as well.  Happy hunting.

http://www.amazon.com/Timex-Unisex-T54281-Ironman-Triathlon/dp/B000B545BO/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=watches&qid=1280046803&sr=8-1

2011 Goals:
            Sub 19 5K (19:24 5K July 14th 2010)
            Marathon under 3:05:59 BQ (3:11:10 Indy 2010)
            My Timex Ironman 100-lap survived about 4 years of daily (sometimes twice-daily) workouts without a single sign of physical wear or damage. It does exactly what I need it to do, and doesn't try to do more. When one of the LED panels finally started to go wonky, I reluctantly replace it.  I say reluctantly only because I'd used and abused the thing so much I felt bad about putting it aside.  Yes, I replaced it with the exact same make/model.  And I kept the old one because the band and bezel are still in perfect shape, so now I have spares.

How To Run a Marathon: Step 1 - start running. There is no Step 2.

You know, I never thought I would like a Garmin until I got one and now they seem amost like required running equipment......

Check out the Garmin 205.    They have a lot of functions, but not a lot of do dads and extra stuff that you might not be interested in......

Champions are made when no one is watching

I have a Timex Ironman 100-lap (probably my 10th one of those over my lifetime) and a Garmin 205.  I probably use the Timex for about 400 runs a year plus daily wear, and the Garmin for maybe a dozen runs a year.

I can't imagine a more durable running watch than the Timex Ironman.

Runners run

xor

I'm on my 4th in a row timex ironman 30 lap.  Target, 35 bucks.  Wee

So what would the advantages of 100 lap watch be over 30 lap?  Why would you need 100 laps?

Goals for 2013: sub 18 5K; stay healthy

So what would the advantages of 100 lap watch be over 30 lap?  Why would you need 100 laps?

I've never come close to using all 100 laps, but it does allow you to save multiple workouts in case you can't update your log right away. 

Also remember that if you do an interval workout, you can end up using a lot of laps -- e.g., 3 mile warmup (3 laps) + 12x400m (12 laps) w/ 30 sec rests (12 laps) + 2 mile cooldown (2 laps) = 29 laps.

How To Run a Marathon: Step 1 - start running. There is no Step 2.

Actually I lied, mine's a 30 lap, and most of the iroman watches I've ever had were 30 lap as well (it's water resistant to 100 meters however, I guess that's what I was looking at.)  I've used more than 30 laps a few times doing interval workouts and it just drops the earliest intervals, not a huge deal.

Runners run

For wristwatches, I'd just get any cheap timex if its not a GPS.  Theres just no real real to go up from introductory Ironmans or like.  I'm still using a 10 year old hand-me-down Ironman myself.  Though I prefer a handheld one for interval work, but again thats just a cheap little thing.

Then again I don't care to remember lap times exactly, though I know it has about 30 lap function, the Ironman does.  So i f thats important to you there are others to listen to.

Hays in the barn. Sack it up. Get After it. Just one more mile, just one more mile, just one more sad little mile in my miles of trials. God, how I do love every last one of them.
                          keeponrunning

I just handed down my 6 or 7 year old Timex to my sister.  The only reason I got a new one is I wanted the lap function, which my old one didn't have.

Sulphur Springs 50km-- Ancaster, ON-- May 28, 2022

Tally in the Valley 12 hours-- Dundas, ON -- July 30, 2022 (Support SickKids Toronto)

Stokely Creek-- 56km-- Sault Ste. Marie, ON-- Sept. 24, 2022

RunFree7

Run like a kid again!

It depends on if you run laps on an indoor track.  I used to run inside a lot when I first started running.  Didn't want to run in the cold or the heat.  Now that is all I do it seems.  Anyway, 9 laps = mile.  If I run 8 miles then I needed 72 laps.  I ran 13.1 indoors once,  I had to buy a timex ironman watch that did 200 laps at that time.  Anyway, it was more of a lap counter for me and allowed me to figure out what my mile splits were.  Now I wear my garmin outside and just run where I feel like running.
                                2011 Goals:
                                Sub 19 5K (19:24 5K July 14th 2010)
                                Marathon under 3:05:59 BQ (3:11:10 Indy 2010)
                              kcam

No question you should get one of the Ironman watches.  I have an Ironman that I bought about 8 years ago.  It got put in the freezer (yes, our freezer in the kitchen) when I got  my first Garmin probably 4 years ago.  My latest Garmin died two weeks ago so I pulled out the Ironman and was rocking that thing within 2 minutes.   Back in the day, I used to scuba dive and this particular watch has been to Cozumel three times.  Still working.  It's a 100 lapper.