Strange Leg Pain (Read 524 times)

I have this strange pain in my lower leg and I'm now a bit concerned with it, so I thought I'd ask if anyone here has had the same sort of thing. The pain is on the medial side of my tibia about 4 inches above the ankle; the pain feels kind of like I hit it against something and have a bruise on the spot. I don't notice it when I'm running or walking, the only time it ever hurts is when I press on it or hit it against something. My worry is that I have the makings of a stress fracture, but it seems like if it's a stress fracture it would hurt more often than just when I press on it. The pain has been around for a while now, showing up after runs for about the last 400-500 miles. My optimistic thought is that since I've had it for the past couple months and it hasn't gotten worse or affected my running at all, I can just safely let it ride. My realistic side, on the other hand, has me thinking I should take some rest for a while. Has anyone else had this kind of pain? I feel like I probably know what the problem is, but I was hoping maybe someone had a similar experience to mine, and had a remedy that didn't include a bunch of time off from running.
      Well I don't necessarily have the remedy, but I feel your pain--literally. It's posterior shin splints. And I've read that if left untreated, it can develop into a stress fracture. Mine seem to be worse than yours, when it started out it was only painful first thing in the morning walking down stairs, then gradually it got to the point that after I got back from a run it would hurt....now I can't run more than a mile without pain. I just had an informal appt with a PTA (my sister) and she tells me I need custom orthotics (I have very flat feet and overpronate). You might want to see a PT for a recommendation. I think if your feet are mechanically sound (which mine aren't), you have more options. Good luck!
      2009 Goals:
      PR 5K (Ha, current 43:10)
      Run a 10K
      Meet Seasonal Weight Loss Challenges
      Complete my first Sprint Tri
        Thanks for the information, I'll look into this more and see what I can do about it. Changing gears a little, I noticed the VT in your name and thought it was coincidental that the first response came from another Vermonter. Exciting stuff, I know!