Who knew the CR collapse would be so big? (Read 1960 times)

Jtalley28

Hello Running Ahead members, I am a new runner, started running Nov. 3 after participating in a 5K at my church. The Cool Running Couch to 5K Program appealed to me and I found the community on that website to be very encouraging and friendly. I was there only about a month and the buyout by Active.com happened. I tried to transition to Active.com but found that website to be way too slow and difficult to navigate. Most people are unhappy there. So, I searched around the internet for a new running home. Thankfully,I found Runniingahead.com. This website is so much faster and easier to get around! Being a beginner runner at 48 years of age, I need encouragement to stick with this new sport. I am so happy to find a website that seems to be thriving and so friendly and filled with helpful information. This is my new running home!

Marathon Maniac #3309

Hi There...I have decided to make this my new home also. Seems like a good sight with a lot of cool features. I am 48 years young too. Glad you are here Smile Tim

Running has given me the courage to start, the determination to keep trying, and the childlike spirit to have fun along the way - Run often and run long, but never outrun your Joy of running!

Just Be

I'm also a former Cool Running user who moved here after the active.com buyout. I never actively used the running log at Cool Running, and I probably won't use the one here, although it is much nicer than the one at Cool Running, that's for sure! I'm just here for the forums, basically! Smile
        Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Folks, welcome! I have been here for a few years and love it. The RA community went through a few growing pains last week when CR crashed, but things seem good now. So come on in, pull up a chair and join in the fun!
          spacityrunner

Welcome to running and running ahead Jtalley28. You will find great support here at RA. Check out the user groups. You will find something to your liking I am sure. I just got here myself and already joined the Masters group and the 1000 mile club. I love the log here. Took all my CR log info without a hitch. Get yer coffee, pull up a chair and have a look around. RA has been more than welcoming to the newcomers and Eric rocks!

Trails Rock!

happybarb

Cellcom 2012

Good Morning, I, too, am a new runner but not a young one......54 years young. I wanted to run since cheering my daughter on at a 10K run last June. The environment of the race and the enthusiam of the participants definited got in interested in the world of running. So I lost some weight, lowered by BMI from 29 to 20 and after walking 3 - 4 miles daily for a couple months decided to give the Couch to 5 k program a shot. Without telling dh or anyone else I started the program on my treadmill. I'm not going to say it was easy but I have stayed determined and found out that I really like the challenge that running offers and I love the way my body feels when I'm done!! I am also not a fast runner, I completed my first 30 minute at 4.9 and I think that is a 12:19 minute mile. I want to thank all the RA members for being so welcoming and helpful to us. Giving tips along the way to access RA's features, as many have done in posts I have read, is very help and really appreciated. Thank you again. This week I have two more 30 minutes runs to complete the C25K program and I know it will probably take me more than 2 tries to successfully complete them but I am committed. After that I plann to increase my time running to reach the 3.1 mile, after that who knows. At my age I am willing to take the little steps I have to take to reach my goals. Barb

Imminent Catastrophe

... I love the log here. Took all my CR log info without a hitch. Get yer coffee, pull up a chair and have a look around. RA has been more than welcoming to the newcomers and Eric rocks! ...
                And consider using the PayPal link on the main page to help Eric out. He puts a lot of work into RA and all that extra bandwith ain't cheap! Note that there are no ads here.

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

btb1490

CR's loss is definitely RA's gain!
                    Being a beginner runner at 48 years of age, I need encouragement to stick with this new sport. I am so happy to find a website that seems to be thriving and so friendly and filled with helpful information. This is my new running home!
                    Welcome. RA is my new running home as well, after hanging out at CR for about 2 years, and I've appreciated the welcome from the gang here at RA. I hope that you will find the same kind of wonderful support, information, and fun here that I did when I first stumbled upon CR as a beginning runner at age 45. Please drop by the Masters users group some time. Lots of friendly folks there, too. The daily thread might be a little intimidating (it still is for me), because there are some amazing runners posting huge mileage and blazing speed over there, but they're all very supportive and all started with that one first step, just like you and I did. We had a "Boomer Newbies" weekly thread over at CR. I'd like to get something similar going here , but will probably wait until after the holidays. I agree with the suggestion to donate to RA. After the CR/active debacle, I'd much rather be given the choice to donate to a site like this than potentially be forced to join one like the new-and-practically-destroyed CR. Good running! Smile Eliz

flomotioncoaching.com

Tramps

Hi! Good luck to you. The folks here at RA have been great. (Thanks!) Definitely check out the Masters user group (link in my sig), too. It's a friendly supportive group that helped me out enormously.

Be safe. Be kind.

Another Passion

Weclome everyone. Jtalley, great thing to start, no matter what age. I, too, am an adult (and I use that term loosely Big grin) onset runner and this site has been so very encouraging and inspiring to me. Were it not for this place, I likely would not have my lofty marathon race goal this April. Barb, you've done some amazing things with and for yourself! Wink Keep up the great work! Again, welcome new running friends! Smile

Rick
                        "The will to win means nothing without the will to prepare." - Juma Ikangaa
                        "I wanna go fast." Ricky Bobby
                        runningforcassy.blogspot.com

Teresadfp

One day at a time

BARB, great job!! You will be able to do 3.1 miles for sure. I started the C25k program last Ocboer - took me a lot longer to finish the program than the schedule showed, but I did it. I've gone from not even making it 1/4 mile to over 5 miles. This morning, my pace over 3.5 miles was exactly 4.9 mph, like you! My running partner is 57, and she started the same time I did. So you're not too old to begin! In fact, she is 12 years older than me and much faster. I would encourage you to sign up for a 5k race this year - they are a lot of fun, and I find that I run faster during them even though I don't realize it until after the race is over. You meet a lot of great people, and there is good food at the end! Good luck, and keep us posted on your progress! Teresa

thumbs up!

Without telling dh or anyone else I started the program on my treadmill. I'm not going to say it was easy but I have stayed determined and found out that I really like the challenge that running offers and I love the way my body feels when I'm done!!
                            I started exactly the same way! Wait until you start running outside. It's great- even in the Winter. (once I got over the fact that people might see me). Today it's about 35 degrees in Southern Wisconsin. I'm itchin' to get out and work off some holiday calories.
                            2010 Goals
                            1. get to and maintain 20 MPW
                            2. sub 50 min Crazy Legs 8k -- April 10 (so close! 50:13... next year)
                            3. sub 30 min 5k
                            4. improved time in Madison half marathon -- May 10
                            Cashmason

Don't worry about people seeing you when you run outdoors. To non runners you are almost invisible. Think about it. Before you were a runner, did you think about a runner you saw more than 30 seconds after you passed them? If a runner sees you, they normally think, way to go, and I wish I was running right now.
                              AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

I only started noticing runners in my area after I recently started running. Now I notice them, and my primary interest is, do I know them? Then, do they look like they're running at a speed I might join them if I encountered them when I was out running -- but I find it hard to judge speed when passing in a moving car. Finally, do they look ilke they're having fun? But, going past in a moving car, I don't really have time to get much beyond, "do I know them", before they're gone, and I admit, I also forget about them within a minute anyway -- plus, there are plenty around where I am, so remembering any particular one is less likely, unless they're pushing twins in a stroller, or running with two dogs, or something memorable Smile

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.