Who knew the CR collapse would be so big? (Read 1960 times)

Who knew the CR collapse would be so big? Well, Active should have known. I can't decide whether Active did it by mistake or design but either way it is clear, they ignored the wishes of the users of their log and drove them away. Since they are such know-it-alls, I'll let them figure out how to sell advertising on a site with much fewer hits. But I do wonder about the wisdom of a free training log. Part of me thinks better to pay something and give the administrators of the log a vested interest in keeping me satisfied and paying the $$ each year or month or whatever. Ultimately, if you drive too good a bargain, won't the other side just "walk away"?
    I'm condemned by a society that demands success when all I can offer is failure. -Max Bialystock

Beatin' on the Rock

We had a "Boomer Newbies" weekly thread over at CR. I'd like to get something similar going here , but will probably wait until after the holidays. I'm in! Wow, they say 40 is the new 20, but 47 is a Boomer! Surprised Only 7 years of middle age?!?
      Be yourself. Those that matter, don't mind. Those that mind, don't matter.
      happybarb

Cellcom 2012

Happy Thursday, I AM a new runner AND in my 50's looking for a place I can call home where I can meet other runners that have the same new interest in running and healthy lifestyles. Is there a forum someone could recommend? Barb

Running safely

But I do wonder about the wisdom of a free training log. Part of me thinks better to pay something and give the administrators of the log a vested interest in keeping me satisfied and paying the $$ each year or month or whatever.
          That type of thinking can go both ways though. A free log has to work harder to keep users if there are other good free logs out there. I don't mind paying for one, but only if I have full control. I would be scared to pay for Active's log if I was not guaranteed to be able to take my data with me. This is exactly why cell phones (in the US) lock their users into contracts. That way they don't have to provide good service. You pay for a contract and you are stuck with them. You can leave, but you pay for it. It is a totally win/win situation for them. Many people will start paying for something and not realize that they are missing out on some features. But for convenience sake they will keep paying and not look around. More important to me is that I can export my data here. If I can't do that, then I don't care if it is free or for pay, I won't store my info in a system like that. David
            I'm also a CR expat. With such a lovely, inviting community to come to, I refuse to call myself a refugee. I'm applying for citizenship and busy learning the laws and customs of my new home. I've turned in my CR passport and RA is now my home. I'm also a little sad since none of my newbie cafe friends have made an appearance anywhere. I've been checking the other boards looking for them, but alas, they must be adrift at sea. I sure hope they find their way to dry land. So if you're out there, former Devil Runners, come say hi. I'm still not posting much because I'm trying to figure out where to fit in, but the RA folks have been very very warm and friendly. Lots of great advice here, too. I had just finished C25k in October and started the OHR when I stepped on a big rock (it was hiding under leaves) on a trail run and screwed up my ankle. A grade 2 sprain and I think I crushed the medial ligaments and injured some of the tendons, so I'm just returning to running. I've lost 17 pounds since July and have another 30 pounds to go, hopefully by June or July. I'm glad to have found a nice group to keep me motivated and answer my stupid questions. That's part of what got me through c25k. As for Active, it is all the things noted here and less. There just isn't enough value there to remain. A few folks post but it's not enough to keep me. I'll still check back there to see if I can find my peeps, but other than that, I'm here (and KR for the VRAA).
            Have you got a flag?

Anyone have pizza?

I used to use Cool Runnings over a year ago. Until I found Running Ahead, it was the best. Active on the other hand, was always a pain for me. If you registered for a race, and didn't read the fine print for example, you'd get slammed with unwanted subscriptions to magazines, which I did, and had to fight with each of the 4 magazine companies directly later on. When I came here I initially felt like I had "betrayed" CR, but RunningAhead was and is by far the best online running repository I've ever seen. The stuff Eric did here is phenomenal, and the people here on this board are incredibly helpful and funny too. Well, once this union between CR and Active took place, any guilt that I had over leaving CR is completely gone. I am sorry for everyone who had their logs lost ,for example, but welcome aboard and enjoy your stay in our family! Big grin

Anyone have pizza?

Who knew the CR collapse would be so big? Well, Active should have known. I can't decide whether Active did it by mistake or design but either way it is clear, they ignored the wishes of the users of their log and drove them away. Since they are such know-it-alls, I'll let them figure out how to sell advertising on a site with much fewer hits. But I do wonder about the wisdom of a free training log. Part of me thinks better to pay something and give the administrators of the log a vested interest in keeping me satisfied and paying the $$ each year or month or whatever. Ultimately, if you drive too good a bargain, won't the other side just "walk away"?
                Hey, a fellow runner from New York. Welcome, Welcome. I actually lived Harrison, and my wife worked in Bronxville way back when. Nice area, and good running routes I am sure!

Dog-Love

Happy Thursday, I AM a new runner AND in my 50's looking for a place I can call home where I can meet other runners that have the same new interest in running and healthy lifestyles. Is there a forum someone could recommend? Barb
                  The forum is called RunningAhead...Browse the groups for more specific general interests 1) Masters 2) Runners with goals to run 500, 1000, 1500 or 2000 miles 3) Drinkers with a running problem 4) etc... Good luck and happy running
                  Run like you are on fire! 5K goal 24:00 or less (PR 24:34) 10K goal 50:00 or less (PR 52:45) HM goal 1:55:00 or less (PR 2:03:02) Marathon Goal...Less than my PR (PR 4:33:23)
                  hdh

just checking in. I used to put an "s" on the end of that other website and realized my mistake when I was reading about the Jamacian Bobsled team. I have seen BAP and Ileneforward and some others I recognize. I've been running since 1998 and been doing marathons since 2004. I will add to my profile when I htink of more to say about me.
                    hdh

#artbydmcbride

If you click on User Groups tab......up above on the menu bar. And then search for Masters Running, you will be able to join the party peeps! Cool

Runners run

I'm also a former CR member who hated it at that new place and jumped off and joined here. I've had very positive experience so far and really like the site. Looking at it from the previous members, we were a mass group invading thier family. But like step children in a new marriage, we are becoming one happy family.

LPH

"Today I broke my record for most consecutive days lived!"

Ditto. I can't even explain how sick I was when I discovered that my training log had been changed... ARGH! I really was physically sick. I'm glad that the owner of CR made a little money, he deserves it for sure. But Active lost me when I discovered RA I really felt like I hit the jackpot! Thank you so much RA seniors - who accepted us with open arms. I hope to be of value to you in the future. This place is great!
                          mdmccat

2008 Philly Trifecta

I made the switch over a year ago when my job added a firewall which kept me from being able to post on the CR log on my lunch... I can tell you from experience, if it wasn't for the kind words of encouragement and practical advice I've received from my RA buddies on this site, I would not have had the motivation or ability to run my first HM this past November. I have found nothing but support, and and extremely thankful for Eric and all those who diligently post and respond to questions or offer encouragement. One word of advice... The day I created my profile, I was an RA member. Stop looking to the past. Make this your home. Wink Post questions & concerns, log progress, get into the flow and embrace the community we have here... Leave the past...in the past and move ahead! Big grin Here's to a GREAT 2008! Dave

***Check out my site: where I've been, and where I'm going @ releasetherunner.blogspot.com
                            2008 Philly Trifecta:
                            10 Mile Broad St Run-5/4
                            Philly Distance Run HM-9/21
                            Philly Marathon-11/23
                            "A goal not written down is only a dream...!"

I made the switch over a year ago when my job added a firewall which kept me from being able to post on the CR log on my lunch... I can tell you from experience, if it wasn't for the kind words of encouragement and practical advice I've received from my RA buddies on this site, I would not have had the motivation or ability to run my first HM this past November. I have found nothing but support, and and extremely thankful for Eric and all those who diligently post and respond to questions or offer encouragement. One word of advice... The day I created my profile, I was an RA member. Stop looking to the past. Make this your home. Wink Post questions & concerns, log progress, get into the flow and embrace the community we have here... Leave the past...in the past and move ahead! Big grin Here's to a GREAT 2008! Dave
                              Man, I really want to leave the past in the future . . . and the present in the past and the future in the present, except tomorrow, which would be the future, but really the past, which is the present. you're going to love me here
                                Since Coolrunning was acquired by a corporate entity (quite some time ago), they have actually been getting money every time you go there. Regarding hits and advertising. I have no idea how much they get, and it may be just a drop in the large bucket that is "Active.com", but I've been looking at the postings (which are not, especially, a good indicator of hits) for the community that was once Coolrunning, and some of the forums haven't had a posting (if you believe their stats) for days, weeks even. I recall, even one month ago, that all of those forums had many, many posts each day. If you (and I'm not advocating this) as a disgrutled user, want to really stick it to the man (that man woudl be Active), then never go back to Coolrunning, even to just peek. Because every "hit", regardless of whether you're posting or not, is a few cents in the Active bucket. If you are less vindictive (like me), then wander over there a bit, revel in the fact that no one is posting there anymore, and still give them ad revenue. Eventually, however, it will dry up, and no one will go there anymore.

Jeff