What would you do? (Read 747 times)

#artbydmcbride

I am training for a marathon over a 7 week period. The marathon is on April 21st. Should I run another long run this Saturday; 18 or 20 miles, or should I race a 10K that happens that day? Or should I do both? Thanks for your help!

Runners run

Not bad for a 107 year-old. Impressive. I'd warm-up for two miles, train through the 10k, and then do a 10-12 mile cool-down. But I'm only 36 so what the heck do I know.

"Good-looking people have no spine. Their art never lasts. They get the girls, but we're smarter." - Lester Bangs

mikeymike

Hey I have a marathon on April 21st too. What a coincidence. FWIW I'm probably running 20 miles on Sunday just to see if I still can. I'd do what Lank said. But I'm only a couple years older than him and immature for my age.

Runners run

The Greatest of All Time

A 10k race in the middle of a long run is good stuff.
          all you touch and all you see, is all your life will ever be

Obesity is a disease. Yes, a disease where nothing tastes bad...except salads.
            I am training for a marathon over a 7 week period. The marathon is on April 21st. Should I run another long run this Saturday; 18 or 20 miles, or should I race a 10K that happens that day? Or should I do both? Thanks for you help!
            Race the 10k, with a 3-mile warmup and a 3-mile cooldown. You don't need to push to get to 18 or 20.

#artbydmcbride

Thanks! Realistically I don't think I can make myself do a 3 mile warm-up, so I think I will try the 1 mile warm-up, train through the 10K and head out for a nice long 10 miler. I do have to be careful at my age! Big grin

Runners run

And now I have to revise my suggestion as I can't agree with Mike and Marcus as they are elitist swamp dwellers and I am the voice of the people. I think you should stretch for 30-37 minutes, race a trail-based 5k, and then lift weights for two hours while listening to an iPod shuffle.

"Good-looking people have no spine. Their art never lasts. They get the girls, but we're smarter." - Lester Bangs

The Greatest of All Time

Wait, wait, wait..I got it.... Snort two, not one lines of fine crushed garlic. Run intervals as a warmup, length and pace of your choice. Run the 10k backwards to work the leg muscles in reverse Then do the long run at Ludicrous speed.

Lazy idiot

Wait, wait, wait..I got it.... Snort two, not one lines of fine crushed garlic. Run intervals as a warmup, length and pace of your choice. Run the 10k backwards to work the leg muscles in reverse Then do the long run at Ludicrous speed.
                    If you're wearing the iPod Shuffle, you can do your runs at Ludacris speed.

Tick tock

The Greatest of All Time

If you're wearing the iPod Shuffle, you can do your runs at Ludacris speed.
                      Oh snap. I busted out loud on that one. Luda...Cris. Big grin

obsessor

What Lank said. How fast do Ludacris run long runs?

#artbydmcbride

No Well, I can't race a trail-based 5K! The race being held is on streets only, and I certainly can't lift weights for 2 hours, the physical therpist getting my shoulder back on track would kill me! The ipod shuffle and garlic suggestions seem sound however. Can I download some 180 cadence tunes by Ludacris from itunes?

Runners run

No Well, I can't race a trail-based 5K! The race being held is on streets only, and I certainly can't lift weights for 2 hours, the physical therpist getting my shoulder back on track would kill me!
                            Before soliciting our response you should have indicated that you weren't willing to give 101%. Sigh. Have you heard the saying about excuses? It's like judging a book with the mouth of a gift horse. It never works.

#artbydmcbride

Tongue You're right, I am ashamed!

Runners run

Thanks! Realistically I don't think I can make myself do a 3 mile warm-up, so I think I will try the 1 mile warm-up, train through the 10K and head out for a nice long 10 miler. I do have to be careful at my age! Big grin
                                I'd go ahead with the 10k in light of the recent 20-milers you've done. However, I strongly advise that you do longer warmups. I believe one of the single biggest mistakes runners make is not doing a thorough enough warmup. It surely isn't going to deplete the energy stores of someone who runs 3 hours at time. You should do a longer warmup for the simple reason that it will help you to race faster. Never mind the idea of trying to turn it into a long workout as a substitute--that's not even the main reason. Don't be so stubborn!! Angry P.S. I also endorse the idea of a longish run the day after races that are 10k or shorter. If you are up to it, a 14-15 miler would be a good training stimulus.
                                Age 60 plus best times: 5k 19:00, 10k 38:35, 10m 1:05:30, HM 1:24:09, 30k 2:04:33