Patellofemoral Pain Syndrome - HELP (Read 838 times)

Angry A couple of weeks ago I noticed some knee pain. I self diagnosed as Patellofemoral Pain Syndrome, this was confirmed by 2 other non medical diagnoses. I took a few days off... things started to feel better. Went for a run..... regressed. Played ice hockey, really bad idea. Went to see a sports medicine doc. He said there is no structural damage and I should reduce my mileage and distance. Took a few more days off and started to feel great. Ran 10K on Sunday and felt OK after the run but the pain is back as of this evening. Should I stop running until I am 100% pain free? I don't want this to turn into a long term issue. I'm training for my first half on March 2 and I don't want to lose the little bit of fitness that I current have. HELP ME. Jason
      I am by no means a doctor or anything of sorts, but I can tell you from experience that PFS is really frustrating and that there is hope! I suffer from it too. I had it so bad that I could not climb stairs or sit without holding onto something. One month and 2 doctors later I learned that by just consistently strengthening my legs (esp quads) and stretching as often as possible, I am able to run with out a problem, to include a half marathon. For pain after runs..some aleve and icing them for 20 minutes keeps the inflammation down. They still hurt a little bit after longs runs, and I still have problems when doing squats or kneeling down, but other than that they have been MUCH better. If your knees are still swollen or hurting I would try cross-training for awhile while you work on strengthening and stretching. I am sure there are plenty of articles online for how to strengthen around your knee cap. Dont go crazy in the beginning as you want them to heal. Hope this helps Smile
      zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I had it from a pair of shoes...I decided to give a pair of Asics Kayanos a try when I had some arch tendonitis...I should have simply purchased better insoles. As soon as I went back to my NBs my knees were better. Have you recently changed shoes, or might your existing ones need replacing?

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Strengthen your quads.
            Thanks all.
            Strengthen your quads.
            I have a stretching and strength program that was provided. After only a few stretching sessions I do feel better. I've always been negligent when is comes to stretching. I will be changing that. The sports med doc did tell me that I was very "tight" in the quads and hamstrings, not news to me but I didn't realize how it could affect my knee. The pain is not severe, I can run there is just some discomfort the next day.
            I had it from a pair of shoes...I decided to give a pair of Asics Kayanos a try when I had some arch tendonitis...I should have simply purchased better insoles. As soon as I went back to my NBs my knees were better. Have you recently changed shoes, or might your existing ones need replacing?
            I think my shoes are OK, was fitted at a good running shop. I had about 110 miles on a new pair of NBs when I started to feel the pain. The pain reared its ugly head about 2 days after my first 30+ mile week, which was at the end of my first 100+ mile month. I had just broken the 10% rule and increased my mileage by more than 20%. I know...... I'm a total DOLT. JR
            Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

tight and asymmetrically strong quads pull your patella to one side or the other, which can cause this syndrome.
              Mishka-old log

Jason, I've self-diagnosed myself with the same issue. My wife is a physical therapist and she gave as good of an outside-the-clinic analysis as she could. She couldn't confirm whether or not it was patellofemoral syndrome/tendinitis. However, she did say that regardless of what the injury actually is, my treatment would be based on my historically inflexible hamstrings and strength imbalance between my quads and hamstrings. Stretching my quads aggravates the pain in my knee, so she recommended not doing that for the time being. Pain/discomfort should be the guide. My pain is slowly subsiding, and I was fortunate enough to be able to cancel my near-term running goals. I'm also lucky enough that cycling does not aggravate it. My rehab plan is cycling as long as the knee tolerates it, and improving hamstring strength and flexibility. Hopefully there's come useful information for you here. Good luck.
                  Thanks for all the advice. I'm confident that I know the cause and the treatment required to get healthy again. I'm on that. Thoughts on Rest? How much? No running until the pain goes away? Or can I run as long as its not too painful? Or something else?!?! Jason
                  corland

These things are nothing short of amazing! Poof... instant cure for me. https://secure.cho-pat.com/products/product.php?product_type=10 ebay Wink
                      I have the same thing, and like Corland, have been bracing my knee. I saw an orthopaedic doctor who suggested strengthing quads & hamstrings, and said no rest but to brace my knees when I run and hike. I tried a brace on each knee but couldn't stand it, so I alternate - tonight left knee, Wednesday's run, right knee. I don't know that it's particularly helpful to do it that way but that's what I'm doing. The braced knee feels good when I run. I, too, cannot sit down without grabbing onto something, and can't bend my knees for long. Can't curl my legs up underneath me on the couch. Can't hardly walk downstairs. It's awful!! And I'm an avid hiker, so the downhill issue is a big one. I can get to the top of a peak, but can't get down!! Sad With the stretches and bracing, it seems to be getting better. Good luck! Smile

Michelle

Michelle..... Stretching and quad strengthening seems to be the "medicine" suggested by everyone.... I've been consistently stretching and it really seems to help...... I think a Cho-Pat will be in my future. I haven't run in 10 days (which sucks) but I am feeling about 95%..... I've even had days without any pain. I will get back on the road this week. Jason