Mapping a new run (Read 56 times)

Help! Today when I went to map a new run, I was not able to go back down the same road. Normally a cross shows up and I can 'drop a pin', but today it was just the hand, and when I tried to go around a loop then back down a straight road, it just kept moving the purple line - as in it was just the hand and not the cross...does this make ANY sense??!! I've been using this for years & this has never happened...

eric :)

Hi running mom3,

What browser and operating system are you using?

eric Smile

Was this a new section of road that you were mapping for the first time?  I have found sections of the map where the street was incorrectly labelled as a one one street.  it would only allow the route to be mapped in one direction, but not the return.

I have found some success at times if I changed the type of route I was mapping (follow route on foot, bike, or car)  The rules are different depending on the type selected.  Try changing these.

It could be something in RA, but I think the issue is a google map issue.  The direction of the street assigned to it is incorrect.  If you try mapping the route in another program (onthegomap.com or mapmyrun.com) does it give the same mapping error?

Hey! No! Its the same run I have been doing for years with slight changes.

I just went back in a tried again.

I am unable to map down any road if I've already mapped it once. So odd. I have used this program for years with no issues. I mapped up a dead end street, then came back down it, then did a loop attached to it, then tried to go back up that dead end street, and only the hand displays, not the cross.

I'm so not a techie and this frustrates me!

Eric, I have no idea. I can ask my husband when he gets home...see above (I am not a techie! LOL!)

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

A couple of things come to mind. If your cursor is close to an existing blue line, it turns into a hand for potentially moving an existing point. One way around that is to click far enough away from the blue line that your cursor is a cross, then to drag the point you created onto the previously plotted course.  Also, if you have the "Follow the Road" button selected, funny things will happen if you try to go off-road.

Altair5

Runs in the rain

Well I have been using the mapping function for a long time and have not had that problem. I just tried it and was able to go back and forth on the same road several times. I did notice something amiss, usually if I go to the elevation chart and move the cursor it will move a pin along the course, but it seemed the chart ended and the pin disappeared before I reached the red pin of the end point, not by much, but still incomplete.

My suggestion for you to try is to magnify your view until the width of the road becomes visible and see if the cross reappears when you move the cursor onto the road. I have noticed when you are zoomed out the mapping function will take shortcuts where the road bends, drawing straight lines that can go outside the marked lines of the roads. If you then try to drop a pin on one of those lines it may actually be off the road itself and not be recognised. Another option is to go to the upper tool bar and there is a button that lets you make your own route rather than follow a road.

Long distance runner, what you standin' there for?
              Get up, get out, get out of the door!