The Muscle Factor Model (Read 3142 times)

JakeKnight

Are calls from a payphone still a quarter?
    What's a payphone?

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
    -----------------------------

Actually, this was quite useful -
      Nullam ullamcorper urna id tortor really struck a cord with me. Thanks
      Favorite quote: Stop your crying you little girl! 2011: Mt Washington, Washington Trails, Peaks Island, Pikes Peak.

Favorite quote: Stop your crying you little girl! 2011: Mt Washington, Washington Trails, Peaks Island, Pikes Peak.
        Scout7

Like a monkey humping a football here.

Non ducor, duco.

Hey, maybe Dick and Blueskies. can hook up!

Why is it sideways?

Somewhere over the rainbow, skies are blue And the dreams that you dare to dream really do come true.
                <scratches> trying to figure out what is different here? Seems like pretty logical conclusions, nothing earthshaking.</scratches>
                  Jeff, the sky is blue.
                  And maybe there's no peace in this world, for us or for anyone else, I don't know. But I do know that, as long as we live, we must remain true to ourselves. - Spartacus

Andreia, I don't want to be in your dreams.
                    And maybe there's no peace in this world, for us or for anyone else, I don't know. But I do know that, as long as we live, we must remain true to ourselves. - Spartacus

Rich_

"trying to figure out what is different here? Seems like pretty logical conclusions, nothing earthshaking."
                      Chris_So_Cal, Pick up any exercise physiology & training book and it should include accepted training principles. One of those training principles is the overload principle (or the progressive overload principle, depending on which term the author prefers). The overload principle generally says something along the lines of this - in order to cause a muscle to adapt you have to overload that muscle. Keep overloading the muscle over time (i.e. progressive overload) and the muscle will continue to adapt up to its genetic limits. As you say - pretty logical, nothing earthshaking. So, what's different in the muscle factor model? 1 very crucial point. You do NOT overload a muscle. You overload individual muscle fibers within a muscle. That one distinction is both new and extremely significant, IMHO. Akin to the difference between bomb and atomic bomb. Or VO2 and VO2max. Or even Lactate and Lactate threshold (for those who still believe in lactate threshold). Exercise physiology has not previously said that we overload individual muscle fibers. It teaches we overload a muscle (i.e. a whole muscle, like your bicep or your hamstring). IMO the understanding that it is individual muscle fibers and not whole muscles that are overloaded is extremely significant, will become a foundational teaching of exercise physiology, and will provide answers to many previously unanswered physiological and training questions.
                      Rich World's Fastest Slow Runner
                      Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Somewhere over three mile hill, skies are blue And the monkeys that you dare to dream really do fly true.

Why is it sideways?

Are you home now, Trent? How was the run?
                            Week 1 Monday - sprint pace workout Wednesday - 5k pace workout Saturday - 1/2 marathon pace workout Week 2 Monday - 2k pace workout Wednesday - 10k pace workout Saturday - Marathon pace workout
                            The problem with this is stupidly obvious. You are running a RACE three days a week. What do you think 5-7 miles at 10k pace actually is? A 10k RACE. 25 miles at marathon pace? How is that different than running a full marathon at marathon pace? Its not. Find me anyone who can run 3 all-out races a week, and let me be their coach and sponsor, Ill be a millionaire.

Why is it sideways?

The problem with this is stupidly obvious. You are running a RACE three days a week. What do you think 5-7 miles at 10k pace actually is? A 10k RACE. 25 miles at marathon pace? How is that different than running a full marathon at marathon pace? Its not. Find me anyone who can run 3 all-out races a week, and let me be their coach and sponsor, Ill be a millionaire.
                              Ryan, I learned on cable news that if you let the other guy set the terms of the conversation, you've already lost.
                                Just wanted to throw in my 2cents. Tongue