The Muscle Factor Model (Read 3142 times)

"If you're playing a poker game and you look around the table and and can't tell who the sucker is, it's you."
    And maybe there's no peace in this world, for us or for anyone else, I don't know. But I do know that, as long as we live, we must remain true to ourselves. - Spartacus

Running4Lisa

I've always like this story by Jim Rohn. Mysteries of the Mind by Jim Rohn "An interesting story says that the day the Christian church was formed, a magnificent sermon was preached. It was a great presentation. In fact, it was one of the classic presentations of all time. According to the story, this presentation was given to a multitude of people. When the sermon was finished, there were a variety of reactions from the onlookers. I find that fascinating since they were all listening to the same sermon."
      You notice any dark clouds forming above you? Remember: If you feel your hair stand on end, crouch down as low as possible with your head between your knees...Oh wait, maybe that's when you're getting sick...or is it a sex position? I get confused sometimes. Oh well. Good luck!
      Running4Lisa

One of my girls I've been working together since last November improved her 10k time by 3 minutes; another one I started working 2 months ago already improved her 5k time by a half a minutes, PRed her half marathon (can't remember what her previous time was...) and was stuck at 3:40 for the marathon (did it 4 times) and just ran 3:30 at Twin Citie marathon this weekend in that cold rainy miserable weather condition with headwind.
        I also started working a girl a couple of months ago. I've never thought to ask about her 5k time though. Wink

So a payphone is a monkey storage unit?
          Uh-duh!
          Favorite quote: Stop your crying you little girl! 2011: Mt Washington, Washington Trails, Peaks Island, Pikes Peak.
          Scout7

I also started working a girl a couple of months ago. I've never thought to ask about her 5k time though. Wink
            This post makes this thread suddenly interesting to me again.
            Scout7

So, Dicky, question for you.... Do you follow your training theory yourself? Or is it just a theory that remains untested? I just want to know if anyone has implemented this training or not. Green Beret, eh? What group?
              Purdey

Self anointed title

Rich, Don't listen to them. They are either jealous or do not have the brains to understand your new theories. I am fascinated. Is this the result of many years work? Were you working on it when you were a Green Beret? (I used to have a blue one) Purdey World's cleverest thick person.

JakeKnight

Do you follow your training theory yourself? Or is it just a theory that remains untested? I just want to know if anyone has implemented this training or not. Green Beret, eh? What group?
                  One of the obvious benefits of your universe-class mind-reading skills is that on many occasions when I'm too lazy to ask what I'm really thinking, I know your Lordship will pluck the aforementioned questions from my feeble and underdeveloped frontal lobe ... and ask them for me. Especially that last one. I await the answer with bated breath. It would have been more fun to ask in the pre-Google era, though. By the way, my running sucks because I used to be a ninja. And being a ninja just messes your body up.

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
                  -----------------------------

Rich_

Do you follow your training theory yourself? Or is it just a theory that remains untested? I just want to know if anyone has implemented this training or not.
                    The best data on the effectiveness of training very similar to what I suggest is the three FIRST studies. In those studies runners ran 3 days per week, cross trained the other days of the week, and ran a competitive marathon at the end of the study. Runners either set a marathon PR or beat their most recent marathon performance by an average of about 20 minutes.
                    Green Beret, eh? What group?
                    5th Group, when 5th was still at Ft. Bragg. then 12th Group, before the Army downsized then 20th Group.
                    Rich World's Fastest Slow Runner
                    Scout7

So your training is modeled after FIRST? Or FIRST is just the most similar to yours? How is your training theory different than FIRST?
                        I wonder if he called the FIRST people to let them know he has rebranded their stuff.

When it’s all said and done, will you have said more than you’ve done?

Rich_

So your training is modeled after FIRST? Or FIRST is just the most similar to yours? How is your training theory different than FIRST?
                          FIRST is the most similar to what I recommend. I've been recommeding decreased running frequency (2-4 running days per week for those with average running talents) since about 2000. As I recall, information on the FIRST studies was initially published in 2004 (at least that's about when I first (sorry) heard about it). For the past 8 years or so my training recommendations have centered on 3 key workouts each week - long run, tempo run, sprints. This is pretty much the same thing FIRST recommends, at least as I understand the FIRST program. The biggest difference between what I recommend now vs then is that I have expanded the key workouts to 6 (over a 2 week cycle) so as to better train different muscle fibers. My 6 paces training is very new - only 2 months old now. I don't know of anyone that is currently training using the 6 paces training. Frank Horwill has promoted a 5 pace theory for quite some time, but advocates higher training frequency than I and the inclusion of easy runs. I think my total training recommendations are unique enough to warrant being termed a new method of training. Certainly, no one element in my program is completely unique, but the overall program is sufficiently different that I think it is fair to be considered as a new training program. What is unquestionably different is the physiological explanation that I offer my training recommendations. The muscle factor model is both new and unique.
                          Rich World's Fastest Slow Runner
                            This thread would be an excellent a drinking game. Every time you read the word "muscle" ...
                            Scout7

Hmmm.... What if you don't use pace-based training?
                              C-R

What are the ramification if you are a heel striker vs a midfoot striker vs a forefoot striker? And would all of these be at a turnover rate of 180 per minute or different? Inquiring minds you know?

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
                                "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/