Carbonation?? I Love Diet Coke!! (Read 1091 times)

So how much does carbonation affect you while running or training? I have a man-crush on Diet Coke and can't get enough Shocked. As long as I'm drinking enough water, am I hurting myself? What about race week?? Thanks! Nate
    HoosierDaddy

GreyBeard

I drink a ton :O I also drink a ton of water each day so not sure how much the diet coke hurts. I usually just ease back during race week and drink more water.

• Black Canyon 100k
      • RRR
      • Zane Grey 100k
      • High Lonesome 100
      • Wyoming Range 100 (?)
      • The Bear 100
      • Javelina Jundred (?)
        well...research shows caffeine is a diuretic so you have to overcome that with drinking water. But personally, I would be more worried about the rest of the stuff in Diet coke...that stuff just ain't healthy.... Notice: the previous statement is a personal opinion which could be backed up by fact if desired and in no way reflects the thoughts and opinions of RA. Clowning around

Lazy idiot

I have a man-crush on Diet Coke ...
          Diet Coke is a dude?!? Evil grin That said, I'm with cagery. I pretty much eliminated soda (still have one with pizza, I can't help it) a little over a year ago, and I've never felt better. I've also heard that the stuff that causes artificial carbonation is bad, but I don't have the science to back this up. Trent?

Tick tock

I pretty much eliminated soda a little over a year ago
            Same here but it's only been a few months so far. Not sure how accurate this is (I found it on Trent's internet).
            At less than 300 mg a day, the diuretic activity of caffeine is similar to that of water.

When it’s all said and done, will you have said more than you’ve done?

SMART Approach

The link below on Diet Coke and diet soda in general is interesting. Scary?????? http://www.dorway.com/jcohen.html

Run Coach. Recovery Coach. Founder of SMART Approach Training, Coaching & Recovery

Structured Marathon Adaptive Recovery Training

Safe Muscle Activation Recovery Technique

www.smartapproachtraining.com

Dave

And the counterarguments as linked to by Snopes. http://www.snopes.com/medical/toxins/aspartame.asp

I ran a mile and I liked it, liked it, liked it.

dgb2n@yahoo.com

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Carbonation itself is not bad. It is just carbon dioxide in solution, and the same exists in your body naturally. It does make the solution slightly acidic, but that is usually nothing compared to the acid from other sources in the drink. The process of carbonation requires getting carbon dioxide from some source. I do not know their carbon source. I suspect that it is not petroleum, but it may be a leftover product from corn processing. That would make it a recycled material, which ain't so bad. This is interesting, given the current question: http://www.pponline.co.uk/encyc/0204.htm If you ever want to try a fun experiment, make yourself some lemonade, pour it into a nalgene or equivalent bottle, and then add a few pieces of dry ice and put the top on mostly tight (but not completely). After abotu 20-30 minutes, pour and enjoy Smile
                    The link below on Diet Coke and diet soda in general is interesting. Scary??????
                    dude, nice quads

Vim

Kerry1976

Master of the Side Eye

Isn't it like everything else - moderation is the key to success. I drink just a little bit of pop (like 1-2 per week), so I don't worry a lot about the effects.

TRUST THE PROCESS

I'd be more concerned about the artificial sweetener than I would about a little CO2. Tom

RIP, Henry, my soul mate

Mmmmm...I do love a good diet Coke. Truly delicious. I'm sure it's horrible for me, but I'm down to one a day. Overall, do y'all think it's worse than drinking sugary juices or bottled teas? I'm serious asking, not being sarcastic. (Not that I'VE ever been accused of being sarcastic.)

A is A

dgb2n advises this link: http://www.snopes.com/medical/toxins/aspartame.asp Read the comments and links under the quoted area on that page. From a link to an MIT study (from the above linked page): "Even daily large doses of the high-intensity sweetener aspartame, also known as NutraSweet, had no adverse effect on study subjects' health and well-being, a visiting scientist at MIT reported in the American Journal of Clinical Nutrition last week." The conclusion is that aspartame is perfectly safe. Enjoy.
                              I'm not so sure about the safety of aspartame to be honest. It got a lot of bashing thus far and there are many varying professional opinons out there regarding its safety. If I wanted a coke (maybe once a week) i'll take the full sugary red can please.
                              Goals for 2008: 10k - Phoenix Park - 6 April 48:47 1/2 Marathon - Longford - 24 August Marathon - Dublin - 27 October. Its Man v Distance. Distance is in trouble.
                                " Overall, do y'all think it's worse than drinking sugary juices or bottled teas? I'm serious asking, not being sarcastic." The key here is to eliminate the intake of sugary juices and bottled teas as they are mostly sugar. Research also shows a marked decrease in brain function/capacity as a result of ingesting sugar. As a teacher, my wife gave half her class a candy bar to eat before there was a test. The half that ate the candy bar scored lower overall on the exam. Drinking water, carbonated water (without sweetner), spritzers and just plain juice is much better than drinking HFC, splenda, aspartame, etc. (Looking down my hypocritical nose) why go out and run to be healthy and then put crapola back into your body?? Ice cream and beer (by the way) are natural products full of good nutrients....to be consumed in moderate quantities. Informed decision making is the best thing ever... Anyone ever have a beer float???