Mapping Routes (Read 828 times)

When I map out a route, sometimes if I back up (erase the last point or two or three) to alter the direction of the route, there's a line with A and B left behind. I can't seem to make it disappear and then have to start all over again with a clear screen to get it off. I'm not sure how I even get it on there. Does anyone know what I might be doing to create this "mini" route with start and ending points of A and B??
    eric :)

You're using follow road feature and the A -> B line is created by Google to display the last segment created by follow road. I haven't figured out how to disable it. You can ignore it.
        Ok, will ignore! The follow road feature is really nice, but that's weird how the A/B line hangs around. Thanks Eric!
        SteveB

It's fine to say 'ignore it' but I can no longer plot a run the wrong way up a one-way street or cut between two roads using a trail. The 'follow road feature'forces the route to follow the road. To be honest, unless I can disable the 'follow road feature' the mapping tool is useless to me. Help Help Help. Steve
          2009 Goals:
          Run 6:30 mile (or 6:01 1500m or 10:10 2.4k).
          Run 6:15 mile (or 5:48 1500m or 9:45 2.4k).
          Run 6:00 mile (or 5:33 1500m or 9:20 2.4k).
          Run 5:45 mile (or 5:18 1500m or 8:55 2.4k).
          2010 Goals:
          Run 5:30 mile (or 5:05 1500m or 8:30 2.4k).
          Run 5:15 mile (or 4:54 1500m or 8:10 2.4k).
          Run a 5 minute mile (or 4:37 1500m or 7:45 2.4k) before 50th birthday (Nov).
          SteveB

For what it's worth, http://www.mapmyride.com also has the 'follow route' function, but under 'settings' one has the choice of turning it on or off, avoiding (or not) highways, etc.
            2009 Goals:
            2010 Goals:

Checkout the map's toolbar. It's right above the map itself. You'll find the ability to disable follow route on there, along with other nifty tools. By the way, follow route is directionally agnostic. You can go the wrong way on a one way street.
              SteveB

Eric, Once again my thanks. I was left a bit concerned when I did a seach for 'follow road' and your parting comments were 'I haven't figured out how to disable it'. Ye (me) of little faith. I should have known that you would have fixed it and the solution was right in front of me. Cheers, Steve
                2009 Goals:
                2010 Goals:
                  I created a route and after I saved it I can't find it.

I created a route and after I saved it I can't find it.
                    What's the name of the route?
                      I found it.

Imminent Catastrophe

Ok, will ignore! The follow road feature is really nice, but that's weird how the A/B line hangs around. Thanks Eric!
                        Hey, the follow road feature really IS cool. That'll save a lot of time. When did it start doing that?

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

Imminent Catastrophe

Checkout the map's toolbar. It's right above the map itself. You'll find the ability to disable follow route on there, along with other nifty tools. By the way, follow route is directionally agnostic. You can go the wrong way on a one way street.
                          Directionally agnostic. Heh. There's a phrase I never heard before.

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Hey, the follow road feature really IS cool. That'll save a lot of time. When did it start doing that?
                            Within the past month or so.

Imminent Catastrophe

Turns out it doesn't follow railroads. Huh. (Deadwood-Mickelson Trail is mapped as a railroad)