an article for your friends who fear running (Read 314 times)

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

re: (paraphrased) People swim & cycle because of injuries in running

That's not why people swim.

[Extending & correcting my remark]

That (running injury) may be why some frustrated  and injured ex-runners swim, like you perhaps, but I will venture to say that that is not why real swimmers swim.

Swimming is its own sport, not just a rehab for injured runners, and it may contain joyous sensations that are never felt out of the water.

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

Birdwell

[Extending & correcting my remark]

That (running injury) may be why some frustrated  and injured ex-runners swim, like you perhaps, but I will venture to say that that is not why real swimmers swim.

Swimming is its own sport, not just a rehab for injured runners, and it may contain joyous sensations that are never felt out of the water.

swimming never hurt as long as running does. (and by hurt, I don't mean HURT as in injured, but hurt as in 800 meter repeats, or hill work)

The nice thing about swimming was most of the races are over very quickly, and recovering from them is pretty easy once you've done it a few times.

But then, swimming came really easy to me. I took up running because it's hard and I wanted to see if I can do hard things.

Feeling the growl again

Speak English.  Wink

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

I think I know what you mean. But probably not.

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

You land-lacked lunks; go see my post on swimmingahead.com.

Birdwell

You land-laocked lunks; go see my post on swimmingahead.com.

link?

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Here is a video of some guys swimming with a joy that they'd never feel trying to run on land: http://video.nationalgeographic.com/video/exploreorg/beluga-whales-swimming-eorg

xhristopher

Here is a video of some guys swimming with a joy that they'd never feel trying to run on land: http://video.nationalgeographic.com/video/exploreorg/beluga-whales-swimming-eorg

Even a Canadian has written a song about that joy. http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=CDx9zqDpSik

Best Present Ever

the races are over quickly, but the meets go on for days ....

The nice thing about swimming was most of the races are over very quickly, and recovering from them is pretty easy once you've done it a few times.

Birdwell

the races are over quickly, but the meets go on for days ....

especially once you get into the older age groups and have to wait for 17 heats of 6 year olds doing the 100 IM to finish 

(my parents sat me down when I was 15 and said "Son, we love you, but, we aren't going to any more of you meets. they take too long, they're in the sun all day, and no one really enjoys them"15 y.o. me was thrilled. They came out when I won overall champion at the state meet, but that was it.)

especially once you get into the older age groups and have to wait for 17 heats of 6 year olds doing the 100 IM to finish 

(my parents sat me down when I was 15 and said "Son, we love you, but, we aren't going to any more of you meets. they take too long, they're in the sun all day, and no one really enjoys them"15 y.o. me was thrilled. They came out when I won overall champion at the state meet, but that was it.)

How many 6yr olds can even swim 100m? it's painful enough watching them try to do one length of the pool.  it's like watching me try to swim 100m.... slow and painful.

kcam

Sounds like the typical All Comer track meet.  They let the old folks race first but my event (mile or 2 mile) comes AFTER the gazillion kiddie 100 and 200 heats.  They sure do love the sprints!

that's why I only watch Olympic swimming.  no worries there...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8rqI8xwXVac

How many 6yr olds can even swim 100m? it's painful enough watching them try to do one length of the pool.  it's like watching me try to swim 100m.... slow and painful.