PLEASE RESPOND- NEED ADVICE FROM ALL RUNNERS (Read 248 times)

AC Drech

Hello Runners!

Let's say you are hypothetically runing a 5k. You warm up, get to the line, the gun goes off... and woo hoo the race is underway!

In a perfect world, where do you want to see distance markers? (by miles or kilometers? ex every mile, every 1/2 mile, every 1/4 mile, only at half way through, etc...)

Also- What makes a race memorable for you? What do you consider the most important pieces to a successful race?

THANK YOU!

stadjak

Interval Junkie --Nobby

Every mile (or whatever distance runners in my country are used to referring to when they talk about pace).  Then a last mark a quarter mile from the finish.

A mark on the finish line would also be convenient.

Most important pieces: organized (easy packet pickup, have pins for bibs, start on time) and cheap.  I remember the cheap ones . . . so rare these days.

2021 Goals: 50mpw 'cause there's nothing else to do

#artbydmcbride

Accurate results posted in a fairly quick manner.

Runners run

jerseyrunner

Half Fanatic 12680

My preference is markers every mile -- most important, make sure that they are absolutely ACCURATE. To make it a perfect race, have good post-race food, water and Gatorade at the end. (Not essential, but we're talking about perfection here). At a recent 5-mile race in our town, they provided food from local caterers which was fantastic -- home-made granola bars, pumpkin soup, vegetable soup, frech fruit cups. Also, as mentioned above, fast race results. Plenty of porta-potties is high on the list. And live music before and after is always nice! I don't care about the tee-shirt or the "swag."

TeaOlive

old woman w/hobby

Every mile.

Well organized.

steph  

My last two 5ks had no distance markers - and I actually really liked that.

But, I also have a favorite race that has both mile and km, which is also nice (having a check a 1km, 1mile, 2mile and 4km I find helpful).

The most memorable races are the RACES, so if you could find a way to ensure that there will be 4 guys 2 seconds faster than me, 2 guys exactly my speed, and 2 ambitious guys a second slower - that would be great.

'prec.

Come all you no-hopers, you jokers and rogues
              We're on the road to nowhere, let's find out where it goes
              Julia1971

Every mile is good for distance markers.

Let's see...  Memorable races for me have been races with lot of runners, on scenic roads I normally don't get to run on, or tied to my community in a strong way.

I like mile markers because I'm used to tracking my pace in terms of min/mile.

But I always found it very funny to have metric distance races measured in miles...it seems like just the sort of thing we love to do in the good old USA.

How I run on race day has more to do with how memorable a race is for me than anything about the race itself.

what everyone else said. In addition, make sure the race volunteers that are stationed at places where someone could miss a turn are instructed to be very vocal about which way to go.

Feeling the growl again

Mile splits

Accurate course

Well-marked course

Beer

I have never gotten beer at a 5K, but that would sure make it memorable

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

Mile markers are optional, IMHO, but it's nice to have the race within about 10% of the advertised distance for short races (so 5k should be between 4.5 and 5.5k, but like 50-mi races a little closer to advertised). Well-marked course is nice for spaghetti-loop trail race; not as necessary where it's out/back and no side trails.

What makes race memorable - well executed race on challenging course with great scenery. Or strange weather or weird occurrences (somebody appearing to go the wrong direction - don't ask). Usually challenge and scenery alone are enough to make the course memorable, whether I execute well or not.

Yea, I know, this will be different from most people here, but the course is what makes the race.

"So many people get stuck in the routine of life that their dreams waste away. This is about living the dream." - Cave Dog

Markers every mile.

Accurate timing posted quickly.

Awards 3 deep in age group + Male & Female Masters group

Free beer at the end.

Mile markers are optional, IMHO, but it's nice to have the race within about 10% of the advertised distance for short races (so 5k should be between 4.5 and 5.5k, but like 50-mi races a little closer to advertised).

Wow! You're easy on the accurate distance thing...around here people start complaining if their GPS said the 5k was 5.001km.

some call me Tim

Yeah, mile markers. I don't care about beer or food so much - usually not in the mood to eat after a hard effort unless I hang around awhile. As long as there's water and maybe a banana... But one of the most memorable races I've run was to support the local running community and had some random surprise stuff: A guy playing solo sax that you passed a couple of times, handpainted signs that were engaging and referred to different features of the course along the way, and a couple of volunteers decked out in sasquatch costumes and cranking tunes at the top of the biggest hill in the course. That stuff is all cheap, but the people did it because they cared about the community and as a result made *everyone* there into one big in group.

GarmoNZ

Marker at half way plenty enough for 5k and prob 10k as well, but depends what kind of runner you are, whether splits are important etc. Having too much information can take the fun out of running, pacing is important to get to your goals but enjoying the run is important as well, not making one of your 1k/1mile splits can be really put you off mentally but you could be just going through a rough patch! I wear a gps and check my splits etc after the race.

Hello Runners!

Let's say you are hypothetically runing a 5k. You warm up, get to the line, the gun goes off... and woo hoo the race is underway!

In a perfect world, where do you want to see distance markers? (by miles or kilometers? ex every mile, every 1/2 mile, every 1/4 mile, only at half way through, etc...)

Also- What makes a race memorable for you? What do you consider the most important pieces to a successful race?

THANK YOU!