2018 3:20 (and beyond) (Read 582 times)

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

The OKC Memorial races are the largest and most iconic in Oklahoma. The courses, which mostly overlap, are flat to rolling and not overly difficult, but the given the late April race date the weather is a big question mark. While a healthy south wind is normal conditions last year were ~40F, overcast and rainy/drizzly off and on, while this year the start temperature was in the upper 50's with plenty of sun.

Race organization has gone way up in the past couple years since bibs have been checked at corral entrances which eliminated big congestion issues caused by relatively slow runners pushing towards the front of corral A. Knowing that my goal time would have put me toward the pointy end of the race in recent years I found a place about 4 rows back from the front. While I had time goals in mind I decided I'd run mostly by personal feel and data from Stryd since the weather was warmer than what I had been training in.

The gun went off, I took two steps off the line and someone immediately stepped directly in front of me and on my right foot. I managed to avoid falling thanks to reflexively putting my hand out and balancing off him, but this was not how I wanted to start things off. The first mile of the OKC course is downhill to flat, but all the gradual downhill is given back by a short bridge mile 2, which is likely the steepest hill on the course. Going up the hill I hear something fall to the ground and the guy next to me suddenly drops back. Quickly thereafter he's running next to me holding out a car key fob asking if it's mine. I say "no" and he moves up to a couple guys ahead of me who are wearing race team shirts from the LRS, and one of them claims it. Who knows how or if he could have gotten that back if it hadn't been promptly returned.

The climb spreads things out some more and I find myself running in the company of 6-8 others who are keeping about the same pace I am. The wind is quartering into our backs which is certainly nice.

Miles 1-3: 6:28, 6:34, 6:31

Around mile 2.5 we're at the highest point on the course and this starts a mostly unnoticeable downhill trend, with a few rollers. We swing past the capitol building, complete with obligatory "You run better than the government" signs, before heading into some of OKC's oldest and more scenic neighborhoods.

A park at about mile 5.5 has one of my favorite spectators. Each year a man sets up a little scene for himself to watch the race. Last year he had a lounge chair, table and a room divider to emulate a living room, this year it's a big tropical landscape banner behind him with a collapsible soft chair and a stereo blasting Beach Boys songs.

Near the end of this park is the first relay exchange point. My FIL's team had recently lost their first runner, so I was tapped to run the first leg of their relay. Rather than going through the relay handoff, I kept going on the main route and would hand off the relay timing chip at the 10k mark, which is just after where the relay exchange zone meets up with the actual course.

Miles 4-6: 6:27, 6:36, 6:36

Mile 6 turns into a pretty steep 1/4 mile downhill and I toss the relay chip to my FIL and the next relay runner as I go by without having to miss a step. All of the runners I've been with since about mile 2 are still around, and we've been floating around within 25 yards or so of each other since then. They start talking amongst themselves about their goal times and paces. They're talking easily using full sentences, which I likely wouldn't have been able to do. Checking my watch for our average pace compared to what they say they're looking for shows that we're a good 10 sec/mile ahead of their stated goal paces, which I inwardly doubt will end well given the temperature compared to what we've been training in.

Just after this we enter one of the more entertaining neighborhoods and head up Gorilla Hill. The name comes from the neighborhood theme, rather than the toughness of the hill. The entire neighborhood turns out to cheer, with many people decked out in yellow or wearing banana outfits and handing out, you guessed it, bananas. There's a house at the top that is painted banana yellow, complete with a big inflatable gorilla, someone in a gorilla costume, and an inflatable banner over the road that makes certain you know what hill you're climbing.

A good downhill follows this along with a left turn that has us going across the wind and we reach the point at which the full marathon separates from the half. I continue straight, while everyone else I've been with turns to the right. I can only see a couple people ahead of me, but that gives me something concentrate on. One more block and we turn left and merge onto Classen Blvd, which is part of the full marathon course and head straight into the wind, which has picked up since the sun rose.

Classen is the wasteland of the OKC course. This almost imperceptibly uphill segment (~2.4mi for the half, almost an extra mile for the full) is the hardest part of the race simply due to the ever-present south wind, which blows directly to your face. There is also very little crowd support to feed off of thanks to it being a bit more of a commercial segment than residential.

During this segment I try keeping my effort about the same as before, but the wind makes this more difficult to judge. Stryd is giving me numbers just below what I want to average for the race but it doesn't take wind into account at all. My heart rate stayed pretty level through here but in retrospect I think I overdid it a little, perhaps crossing closer to 15k effort than I should have.

During this stretch I quite slowly pass a handful of people, including a guy I talked to before my 10k, and who I ran in to half an hour before the race started. He had told me that he planned on aiming for 1:20-18 but that his car had been hit a week or so ago and he was a little sore from that. He said he was hurting from the wreck, but thought he'd make it just fine by slowing down. In the distance I can also see the local-to-me fast guy, who finished Botswana right about the same time as DWave.

Miles 7-10: 6:40, 6:36, 6:46, 7:02

Finally moving off of Classen we head back into the neighborhoods which brings some relief from the wind thanks to changes in direction and tree cover, and a few more spectators cheering us on certainly help. Mile 11 seems to just last forever. From my knowledge of the course I'm certain I should have already been past it, and in trying to keep my effort up I don't think to check distance on my watch. Cue mile marker 12. I some how completely missed the marker for 11, and the knowledge that I'm not fading like I've been starting to think I am is a good boost.

Right about here I catch up to my local fast guy. We have a quick chat and he tells me he went out way too fast (same 1:20-18 as the other guy) so soon after Botswana.

Turning the last corner to the final stretch (now into the wind again, though I don't notice it) I can see two people in front of me. The first is way ahead with no hope to catch him, but I pass the other guy with about 1/8 mile to go and recognize that this is the same guy who I was chasing during my 15k in March who gained a 30-40 second lead on me after the turnaround. I completely miss the mile 13 marker (I've never seen this or the mile 26 marker in the 3x times I've finished these races). My stomach quickly starts to go south and the thought that I may have immediate need of a trashcan comes to the front of my mind.

I cross the second timing mat, stop my watch and walk forward toward the closest volunteer who is holding out a bottle of water and thankfully my stomach immediately calms down. 1:28:01 official time, and the time on my watch. I walk ahead slowly while waiting for local fast guy and pulled-away-from-me-at-the-Beacon-Run guy who both finish pretty close behind and have a good chat about the race as we slowly work our way past the army of volunteers handing out post-race goodies.

Overall I'm quite happy with my effort level and performance during the race, though I certainly don't feel that my finishing time reflects my fitness. I'll certainly take the 11 second PR considering my previous record was on a day with near-perfect conditions and that entire course had less elevation gain than was on the bridge in mile 2 of this race. Taking a look at Stryd afterwards my average "power" across this race and my previous 15k is essentially the same, which gives me a good idea of what I should be able to sustain across these distances in the future, which can help with pacing. Temperature at the start of the race was a good 15 degrees warmer than the usual in the past couple weeks for the same time of day, and at the finish was close to 65. I really think my time on the treadmill in my warm-to-hot garage really helped me out with regards to this. I'll be sure to do this again for any future spring races.

What's next? I definitely want to try improving on my 5k PR before the heat really sets in, and I'd like to try running a mile on the track as well, though the latter scares me more. And I'm still considering my bad idea trail 50k. And of course I need to find a fall marathon upon which to mount an assault on my BQ time for 2020.

5k: 17:58 11/22 │ 10k: 37:55 9/21 │ HM: 1:23:22 4/22 │ M: 2:56:05 12/22

Upcoming Races:

OKC Memorial 5k - April 27

Bun Run 5k - May 4

oregonrw

Keen: Congrats on the PR and a great race! Really good race report too.

Clever: I'm thinking of running that same marathon, but the September version, so I'll be interested to hear what you think of it.

OMR: Glad the recovery is going well!

RLK: Sorry to hear the 5k wasn't what you hoped/trained for.  Three speed workouts a week would be a lot for me -- how long have you been doing that? I wonder if you just need time to adjust to it. Probably a good idea to get ferritin checked, maybe thyroid too?

Hello everyone I missed.

12 miles Sunday, 6 miles this morning. Last week I hit 45 miles for the first time since January.

The Portland Marathon has been cancelled for 2018.  The race director pretty much ran it into the ground over the last few years, between his cavalier attitude about a course error that led to hundreds running the wrong distance, his inability to coordinate with the city, and his malfeasance (he was "borrowing" money from the race, a nonprofit, and just agreed to pay a fine after an investigation by the AG's office).  There was a new board of directors who took over and was going to try to proceed, but they decided it was just too messy, I think.  2500 had already signed up, but at least they are getting a refund. Years ago it was a good race (though I never thought it was a great course).  Maybe someone will come in and start a new one.

seattlemax

Duke Of Bad Judgment

Ace: I really liked Endure.  I liked lots of things in it, but in particular a brief section where he says a) lots of of innovations lead to 1-3% improvements in performance b) when you do several of those things together it leads to ... 1-3% improvement c) which suggests it's brain/"placebo" not the innovations d) which makes me a little smug about choosing cheaper things than VaporFly shoes to stimulate my brain/placebo effect.

OMR: Good to know I can summon you, like Jim's Kat can summon CalBears.

McB: Nice recc for the NJ marathon!

Keen: Congrats on your small PR.

Dad: Some of the best things have happened as a result of my bad/worst decisions.

Clever:  If you park at the finish and follow the obvious wide trail uphill, you can't get lost.  There are ways to get on it further out i-90 but usually you have to park and then work your way up to it via another trail.  The mile markers were horrible in 2017 - I hit mile 3 around 29 minutes, and I averaged 7:27 for the race.  You run downhill at the same HR you'd run on a flat marathon, maybe slightly higher at the beginning due to the altitude (a few beats at the most).  But you do have to have some sense for the HR.  I'd try to figure it out in your training.  I would plan assuming it's by HR or feel, and if you get lucky the mile markers will help you.  I doubt you will get lucky but one can hope.

Brew/Jim's Kat:  I don't need pacers, my schedule/pass is highly unpredictable, and I'll be more willing than usual to drop halfway at this race just to avoid going backwards with rehab.  It would be fun to see you out there somewhere, but I don't want to prompt someone to come out and wait for me when I may have dropped long before.  Thank you though.  Especially NeRP.

Oregon: Woah!  That's big news about the Portland Marathon.  Too bad...

Running Problem

Problem Child

Max: will travel for beer, and photos, and maybe to be ace murdered while hallucinating about female runners. Strong will through Miwok. Just remember when the suck comes ‘he hates hills and tries to be a trail runner. Twice. And has a history of getting lost.’ and you’ll make it through. I’m a horrible guide but great entertainment which is what you need because it is supposed to be FUN and not work. No one smiles at work. Everyone smiles when they’re having fun.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

pepperjack

pie man

I was signing up for a 50k that's next week and looked at my ultrasignup results.  And the TWOT race is listed.  I had not seen any previous online evidence that I had completed the loop.  They do call it a '25' miler.  But it's more like 28 according to my watch.

Doesn't have my two lap finish at dirty German when I attempted three for a 50M two years ago, though.  Uberendurance has that result on their page, at least.

11:11 3,000 (recent)

CDR K ~ Congrats. Good report.

rlk ~ Understand your disappointment all too well. Sounds as if you've overcooked yourself and need an aerobic refresh:

https://www.runnersworld.com/race-training/when-speedwork-sabotages-your-gains

http://running.competitor.com/2014/07/training/the-balancing-act-speed-vs-endurance_52309

either i peaked a month ago, or 3 speed workouts a week (at least 2 on track) doesn't work for me, or maybe i have some iron issues?. going to talk to coach (not the one i've been complaining about - the other, our assistance coach Smile ) tomorrow and also get labs done this week. i'd be fine with a mini-break now to reset. as of now, i'm signed up for a road mile on sunday - we'll see about that - and i can't let the team down for Bay to Breakers centipede at the end of May.

Run easy for a week.  For me, I found that 2 quality sessions a week works best long term.   You are doing the smart thing to reset as digging a hole is the last thing you want to do.

PR's: Mar - 2:44;50  1/2 Mar - 1:16:59  10 Mile  58:03  10K - 33:30 (Back in High School)

On the comeback trail.

Strict WTF adherent

he's newish to running . . . i think he would've broken 19min.

Humpf.

RLK - You shouldn't listen to any of the advice you're getting here. Sign up for a color run instead. Wear a sparkle skirt. Find your true self.

Regarding NJM, I had dinner with one of the pacers and he echoed my statements about the beer tickets and said he had a similar issue with the porta potties in past years. I ran the same race with McW a few years ago in a similar time, and didn't have any of the same problems with hydration (not that we needed any that day). The whole production always feels a bit amateurish.

CK - Sounds like a solid result. Congrats.

PJ - I've had similar things happen with ultrasignup. Is it not normal?

Brew - We strapped down our first too, even though she basically didn't move until she was 16 months old. The next two didn;t get strapped, and they turned out fine. Kind of.

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

Thanks, all! Sorry to drop such a long RR... Maybe we need a dedicated thread in the sub-3:20 group for these and we can just link to them (for those of us who aren't blogging).

RLK - Bummer the race didn't work out like you wanted. 3 speed days a week is a lot, but then again you are younger than most of us. Hopefully you can sort things out.

Oregon - Whoa regarding the race. Are they talking about bringing it back next year, or are they just done? Or is it too early to know?

Got up late today, but still managed almost 5 miles. The temperature always seems to take a big jump up after the Memorial races every year.
                    My work has a team steps competition that starts tomorrow as part of a wellness/fitness thing. Given the general lack of physical activity by those at my work even some short runs should lead to a big advantage for my team!

5k: 17:58 11/22 │ 10k: 37:55 9/21 │ HM: 1:23:22 4/22 │ M: 2:56:05 12/22

Upcoming Races:

OKC Memorial 5k - April 27

Bun Run 5k - May 4

pepperjack

pie man

Ben - The surprise results or the lack of results?

I was mostly surprised because TWOT race wasn't an ultrasignup deal, I just emailed Antoinette the RD and showed up.  (checking now there are official results from 2017 on the race website, finally.  So that's part of it, I guess).

11:11 3,000 (recent)

Running Problem

Problem Child

McB "Fine" is acceptable. I mean...he's related to me. He is kind of at a deficit.

keen I'll read the paragraph you wrote to start this page when I don't feel like working much. Kind of in a productive mood.

rlk I agree with the "have fun running" because as much as I hate doing trails and hills it kind of helped me get OUT of race mentality and figure out what it is people do when they aren't running races every weekend or month. Maybe go watch max run around Miwok this weekend. Bring him a Pliny or something from Cellarmaker. Maybe hit up Mill Valley Beerworks after. Oh yeah, I was thinking about you when I watched a Sage Canaday video about my new toy. Mostly because every time I watch his videos I think about you.

Trail race photos. Bib 16. Proof it's possible for me to enjoy the day while missing 3 turns and climbing 3,300 feet in 13 miles. That's 16,246 gain if I did 64 miles out there (5 laps). Good lord that's a lot. Scroll to the bottom and see why it's called "Dead Truck Canyon". Ace could probably identify it.

Great luck max.

I acquired a LumoRun from my MIL. I've never seemed to care about a lot of technique while running mostly because I've always been able to PR everything. I'm curious to see how this works and I get to do it solo since everyone else wants to run hills.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

rlk_117

Resident Millennial

rune- that is good advice! my labs/healthcare has been a bit disorganized in the pre- and post-college transitions, but i'm trying to get a handle on it and actually start tracking things now. i last had labs in january and i good some blood drawn this morning for CBC+ferritin. i think it's probably not that, it's probably training-related, but still good to actually track those things!

ckeen- that is a long RR so i will give it the attention it deserves a little later! either way, that is a super fast time - big congrats. i also like the term "assault on" BQ - we should use that phrase more often!

oregon- yeah, i am thinking (after reading a bunch of magness + the article dad just posted) it's probably the training. i've reached the end of the window where only-speed training works, and now everything is crashing. bloodwork forthcoming too (see above).
                          congrats on the mileage progress!
                          i read that about portland! bit of a bummer, since that's an amazing running city and just a nice place. (I put SF, Boulder, and Portland in close footing for places whose lifestyle appeals to me / I could live there. Though I am not sure I could do Portland's winters after being spoiled by CA...). But I have heard a ton of crap about the marathon in recent years and agree with you that they could use an entire refresh. I hope someone else takes it on.

max- ha. calbears has been too busy running the same exact trail at the same exact pace and for the same exact distance every day to notice us over here Smile
                          hm, ok. if bf's hip is feeling ok for a Saturday hike, maybe we'll do that and try to estimate seeing you on SCA. i wouldn't think you'd drop by that point. distance (and steep ravine, cardiac, and randall climbs...) aside, the course looks awesome - the best of the headlands/Tam.

brew- RB and I once stumbled into Mill Valley Beerworks sweaty and dusty right after a Tam summit ... and then realized it's sorta fancy and walked straight out and went to Sol Food instead!

dad- full of wisdom, as always. TY for the resources!! i agree with that assessment, haha. taking it very easy this week and then next week will be some plain jane running.

dkgg- good advice. yeah, 2 workouts is my standard for typical longer distance things, but with the speed stuff we've added in thursdays as well which brings it to 3. I've always wondered in the past how people pinpoint what training "works" for them and what doesn't, since running/performance have so many variables. But I think I have finally pinpointed at least one thing!

mcB- ship your hotdog suit to SF? I think I'll borrow it for the Color Run.

mile, 5:26 /5k, 19:34 /10k, 41:00 /13.1, 1:31:49 /26.2, 3:12:58

rlk, for pinpointing, it is always a work in progress.  Go with what you know works for you and you kind of learn as you go.  I have made every mistake multiple times and still continue to find things that work better.  For me, the things that I respond best to that I know of as we speak are the quality sessions that I enjoy doing and fell good about them afterwards.  I hate the pain train of fast intervals and prefer the slow death.

Some people can handle 3 hard sessions a week.  For me the mental part plays a role as well.  Sometimes knowing that you have to do a hard session is stressful just thinking about it, doing it two days a weeks gives me that break to relax.

Two weeks ago I was supposed to have a big quality week and just was not feeling it.  I tried to start a hard session and it just wasn't there and bailed right away.  I felt that if I really dug deep that I could have finished them.  I decided to just run easy instead and the next week I had a great week.  Missing split times can play with your head.  Sometimes you just need to cut yourself some slack and remember that you are not a machine.  Sometimes there is no explanation why things don't work out and others they do when it shouldn't.

PR's: Mar - 2:44;50  1/2 Mar - 1:16:59  10 Mile  58:03  10K - 33:30 (Back in High School)

On the comeback trail.

Arvind Balaraman

My workout last week. slowly getting back

Sport Date Title Time Distance Elevation Suffer Score
                              Long Run Sun, 4/29/2018 Umstead evening run 1:31:21 11.44 mi 700 ft  
                              Long Run Sat, 4/28/2018 Sat LSD 2:21:51 17.04 mi 768 ft  
                              Run Fri, 4/27/2018 Easy 4 with 19.5 lb vest 34:22:00 4.06 mi - ft  
                              Run Thu, 4/26/2018 Easy 7 57:27:00 7.06 mi 325 ft  
                              Run Wed, 4/25/2018 RTR never ending hills 1:10:13 8.01 mi 405 ft  
                              Workout Tue, 4/24/2018 1 WU + 16X(400m, 200RI) +1CD 1:00:30 8.12 mi 121 ft  
                              Crossfit Tue, 4/24/2018 Core workout 30:00:00 0 mi - ft  
                              Run Mon, 4/23/2018 Easy 5 42:23:00 5.69 mi - ft  

Total   61.4    

Speed Surplus

How to get free photos of yourself running in six easy steps!

1. Go to the park to run.

2. Notice that there is a race that's almost over.

3. Run your usual route, away from the straggling racers.

4. Notice that a photographer is about to photograph you anyway, despite the fact that you don't have a bib and you are separate from the racers.

5. Give him a look that says, "Really?"

6. Check back in a few months for your photos!

5:27 / 18:49 / 40:32 / 88:12 / 3:12