2018 3:20 (and beyond) (Read 582 times)

Running Problem

Problem Child

Moms on the run 10k. Local event. It goes through a residential neighborhood around 9:00am. I remember the last time I did the 10k some resident was PISSED the volunteer wouldn’t stop traffic so he could leave. They had signs up as well as mailed out flyers to tell the residents. Oh and it’s happened for like 17 years. It opened my eyes to what volunteers at races get to deal with.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

OMR

Dwave:  I'll chime in and agree that it would be great to see you do the full, but I don't want to jinx the weather by telling you to make the switch!  ;-)

The semester has, at long last, come to an end...so hopefully I can become a more regular contributer again.  For starters, I took a few more steps toward returning to running today.  PT added a some bounding and side-stepping...my first exercise with lateral movement.  He then gave me free reign on the AlterG, up to 80% body weight.  Played around with that, ramping it up from 55-80%, then speeding up a little and going back to 55% and repeating.  Last set was at 8:00/mile pace, with 3 minutes @ 80% BW to end it.  Total of 40 minutes and 4.6 miles.

darkwave

Mother of Cats

KK - excited to see what you do in the 5K.

Oregon - at one point we had a "quarter-marathon" around here also.  I never understood the point.  If a half is ~13.1 miles or ~21.1K, then my math says ~6.55 miles or ~20.55K.  Good luck!

Brewing - I have NEVER been able to figure out what people mean by x% less of pace.  Math is hard when not using a base of 10, so I just don't bother.

Ace - good to see you coming back!

Arvind - I really hope your time gets you in.  3:00 has worked some years.

Honestly not quite getting the Zwift appeal, but then again I'm probably not the target audience.

OMR - good to read about continued progress.

Hi to all others, and thanks to all for your endorsement of my bad idea (which was actually formulated pre-Rupp (BTW a teammate pulled a Rupp this weekend and won the Long Island Marathon 3 weeks after DNFing Boston at the half (wow I really abuse parentheticals))).

I officially switched this morning.  Long run schedule for next three weeks is 18 this Sunday, 16 with 2x5 miles at MP next Sunday, and then 20 the Sunday after.  Then taper.

Hit the track this morning for intervals.  3 mile warm-up (8:54 pace), then 2000, 4x800, 400 in 7:45, 3:01, 3:00, 2:59, 2:53, and 87.  4.5 mile cooldown (9:07).  Also injury prevention work and recovery swimming.

And no, you're not misreading stuff - my last 400 was slower than my last 800 (which I split 89/86).  I was trying not to hammer the 400 too hard, and ran it a bit too easy.  Ooops.  Fortunately marathon cycles, even miniature ones, don't rise or fall on a single 400.  Right?  Right?

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

Oregon - at one point we had a "quarter-marathon" around here also.  I never understood the point.  If a half is ~13.1 miles or ~21.1K, then my math says ~6.55 miles or ~20.55K.  Good luck!

We also have two Metric Marathons (26.2K) reasonably close. They have always intrigued me, but timing never works out.

then my math says ~6.55 miles or ~20.55K. 

Hmm, special Georgetown math?

Running Problem

Problem Child

I officially switched this morning.  

I feel like this brings out the best in you. You pick a race you’ve wanted to do and trained for the entire time but ‘last minute’ decided to do. I don’t even think you can back out and do a second race the same weekend per your usual backup. So you’re sticking with the backup being ‘kicking ass’ because there isn’t another option.

Also, DAMN you’re doing a lot of marathons. Unfinished business at CIM?

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

Pesto

oregon - good luck with the 1/4 marathon! We have one here in Austria and also in Argentina. I also find them strange. But not as strange as dad's metric marathons. Never heard of that.

DkW - yay on changing to the full at gmas! I was going to vouch for that too. Any goals in mind?

kk - good luck in the 5k!

Great weeks by SC (mileage PR! it's nice to see those numbers go up when you move a LR to Monday :P), DkW, brew, ace and kk

max - glad you survivied, ridiculous as usual.

BQ - I agree with Matt on trying to get at least -4:00 if possible. Hope you sneak in arv! I think I should be safe for 2019 with -8:48.

OMR - glad to see things continue to progress according to plan. And yay for the semester ending!

rlk - the shower comment was hilarious.

Hi to everyone else!

My week:

Monday, Apr 30, 2018 thru Sunday, May 06, 2018

<tfoot> </tfoot>
                Day Miles Pace Duration Description Link
                Mon 10.1 8:05 1:22 Lunch Run... hot! strava
                Wed 5.3 8:26 0:44 Lunch Run... not sleeping and heat is not a good combination strava
                Thu 5.0 9:00 0:45 Lunch Run with D strava
                Fri 7.5 8:39 1:05 Lunch Run with F strava
                Sun 13.1 7:42 1:41 Went for a LR and joined the Wings for Life World Run. It’s always fun to run in closed roads strava
                  41.0 8:14 5:37    

I think I'll stay at this mileage hopefully for some time while I acclimate to the heat and maybe slightly increase after a few weeks. My legs feel a bit heavy, not sure if it's the recent marathons or the heat,or a combination of both. Not really worried about it though. I did some 6x600 yesterday and felt quite good.

Have a good rest of the week everyone!

5K - 18:03 (5.18) | 10K - 37:58 (2.18) | HM - 1:20:45 (9.18) | FM: 2:57:59 (10.18)

AceHarris

Brew (or if someone sees this sooner than brew): can you re-post the link to the weekly run report generator thingy? I need to add the bookmark to my work computer.

Road Mile: 5:19 (2017), 5k: 17:09 (2021), 10k: 35:54 (2021), HM: 1:21:55 (2020), M: 2:53:18 (2021)

mattw4jc

I have bookmarks for two:

http://app.rundango.com/strava/viewweek

I think this is the one most people use.

http://rwol-weekly.appspot.com/weekly/

AceHarris

Thanks Matt

Road Mile: 5:19 (2017), 5k: 17:09 (2021), 10k: 35:54 (2021), HM: 1:21:55 (2020), M: 2:53:18 (2021)

pepperjack

pie man

Metric is so much nicer than a normal Marathon, not over 2 hours for a reasonable day.  I wish they were more common.

11:11 3,000 (recent)

Pesto

Metric is so much nicer than a normal Marathon, not over 2 hours for a reasonable day.  I wish they were more common.

I agree. The imperial marathon, for us metric folks, would be 42.195 miles. Something only max would dare to do.

5K - 18:03 (5.18) | 10K - 37:58 (2.18) | HM - 1:20:45 (9.18) | FM: 2:57:59 (10.18)

Arvind Balaraman

Hit the track this morning for intervals.  3 mile warm-up (8:54 pace), then 2000, 4x800, 400 in 7:45, 3:01, 3:00, 2:59, 2:53, and 87.  4.5 mile cooldown (9:07).  Also injury prevention work and recovery swimming.

And no, you're not misreading stuff - my last 400 was slower than my last 800 (which I split 89/86).  I was trying not to hammer the 400 too hard, and ran it a bit too easy.  Ooops.  Fortunately marathon cycles, even miniature ones, don't rise or fall on a single 400.  Right?  Right?

just curious. What is the injury prevention stuff?

Arvind Balaraman

I have bookmarks for two:

http://app.rundango.com/strava/viewweek

I think this is the one most people use.

http://rwol-weekly.appspot.com/weekly/

http://rwol-weekly.appspot.com/weekly/ never works for me

http://app.rundango.com/strava/viewweek works for me.

Thank you mattw4jc

Speed Surplus

"Fortunately marathon cycles, even miniature ones, don't rise or fall on a single 400.  Right?  Right?"

Sorry, one less-than-optimal 400 = doomed.

5:27 / 18:49 / 40:32 / 88:12 / 3:12