2018 3:20 (and beyond) (Read 582 times)

oregonrw

30ks: There are some around here but mostly trail races, and usually in combination with 50ks.  Not sure about road 30ks - I don't think I've seen any of those.

Nike: I assume FB is referring to the management purge that's going on right now due to the reported company-wide harassment/hostility towards women?

18 week marathon plans: Yes, they seem long to me too but I have had success with Pfitz's 18 week plan. I do feel a little burned out by the end however.

Matt: My last marathon I was up around 60 mpw and it was tough with work/family obligations.  70 would be nearly impossible for me.  I know people do it and I'm impressed but have no idea how I could.

Keen: I have two boys, 12 and 15 (though he will be 16 at the end of the month and then driving, which I can't wait for and am also terrified of.  It will definitely make life easier when he can get himself places).  I miss the days of stroller runs sometimes -- we had a double that I used for several years that saved me many days.

DWave: The marathon I was thinking I'd do in September is sold out (and I hadn't registered).  I'm thinking of waiting and running CIM -- I'd like a friendly course and in my own time zone -- so I'm guessing you recommend that one since you're returning to it?

OMR: Glad the alter G is still going well.  Do you have a timeline for when you'll try running on the roads again?

I ended up not running last night (I am really awful at running after work), so ran 7 easy this morning.  I'll run something short and easy tomorrow, then the "quarter marathon" on Saturday and longer Sunday.

Running Problem

Problem Child

keen Click me

Oregon I love CIM. I've run it twice. Well organized. USUALLY nice weather. Downside is the 4am bus ride to the start, parking around the finish, and trying to make dinner plans that weekend gets busy, oh and training for a December marathon means plenty of night/dark runs during the week. Upside is the crowd support along the course, there doesn't seem to be 1,000,000 people who do it so running tangents is possible, they have pace groups, and the finisher medal is pretty cool in my opinion. Nothing fancy I just like it. I cut beer out on Black Friday for that race because it's helped me PR both times.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

OMR

Brew:  PT is going well.  After today, we kind of have a benchmark for where I am at right now.  My knee started to hurt just a little at 90% body weight when running about 7.0mph, so I had to back off from that just a little.  At the end, he asked when my appointment with the surgeon was going to be, and when the surgeon thought I should be ready to run.  The surgeon said a month (which was May 6), but PT didn't start for about a week after surgery, so I'm a little behind that schedule.  Appointment with the surgeon is May 18th, so the PT is holding off giving me permission to run until after I get an official OK.

rlk_117

Resident Millennial

whoa, how did i get so far behind...

brew- "I'm slow enough that interval and repetition pace are the same" i don't think this should be the case for anyone, no matter their speed? they are different physiological systems. but i feel like dad or max or someone else might have better rationale.

omr- semester over and 80% bw?! winning!

a metric marathon actually sounds pleasant.

pj! on a bike! hooray!!!!
          PS happy bay area bike to work day! i left home with a near-empty backpack and by the time i got to work, it was overflowing with swag. what a time to be alive.

dwave i appreciate this writeup of your injury prevention work. those swiss ball hamstring curls are HARD. i do (some fraction of) this routine - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ice0OpPfoQA - and the single-leg hamstring stuff is where i can't keep up. and the ball-plank stuff, she just does it for too long....
          also, pistol squats are #goals indeed. emma coburn occasionally instagrams a video of herself doing them (for some reason i feel like PJ would know this too) and - not saying this in a creepy way - it is a work of art.

fb "Brew -- I think the average elite weighs about 130. You have have a long term goal." i've never felt so elite in my life!

also fb - eh, I was already very very unlikely to buy nike gear in general. i think i have one pair of nike shorts, and that's all i've ever owned of theirs. 

ckeen- awww!!! there's nothing better than parent/child runs Smile i used to bike next to my mom when she did her daily 4 mile jog around our neighborhood. when i was older, i'd run pieces of it with her.

i like dad's broad funnel approach.

30k is weird. the only one i've ever done or heard of was a trail race. up and down our local "mountain" (which max spent a lot of time on last weekend), so i ran that in the same time i ran the chicago marathon that year, 3:21. as oregon said, there was also a half marathon and 50k option at that race.
          NYRR has an 18 miler, but it is billed more as a tune-up event for NYCM (it is always about 6 weeks before the race - same weekend as 5th Ave Mile) than as its own race. also, three loops of central park. boooring.

mikeymike
          - hi! i don't think i know you. doesn't the boston buildup series have a lot of odd distances in 5k increments as well?

i agree with oregon. 18 weeks is too long for me! i like a solid base, which i don't really put a # of weeks on, and then 12 weeks of heavy focus.
          also, i vote for CIM! i've only run it last year, but the very next day i signed up for this year's version...  definitely a racer's race, which it  seems like would be a good fit for you. a lot of people to work with in our pace range. a very workable course, consistently great racing weather, etc etc.

mile, 5:26 /5k, 19:34 /10k, 41:00 /13.1, 1:31:49 /26.2, 3:12:58

darkwave

Mother of Cats

Oregon - I like CIM a lot, and highly recommend it.  Plus you'll get to meet several other forumites there!

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

Running Problem

Problem Child

Rlk: the difference for R and I paces are recovery for JD. 3 minutes of rest vs 1 minute changes things.  Hanson’s says speed work rest should be 50-100% of rest. Longer for beginners. So running longer intervals with longer rest, for me, seems to be the same pace as shorter sprints with shorter recovery. Maybe one of the other folks can shed some light. I’ll have to look at JD 400s but I think he said 88seconds for where I’m at with a 400 recovery.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

mikeymike

mikeymike- hi! i don't think i know you. doesn't the boston buildup series have a lot of odd distances in 5k increments as well?

Hi! I'm one of the OGs here on the running ahead dot com message board. There isn't really a Boston buildup series but there are several races that bill themselves as prep for Boston and fall at strategic points on the calendar in late winter or early spring. They're not all metric.

Runners run

fb-guy

CIM is a lot of fun and you might even get to meet JimE! You can get cold and you can get rain, but usually nothing that gets in the way of a fast run. There was the tornado of 2012 (40mph headwinds and a couple of inches of rain), but that's rare. The course profile really lends itself to a fast race, where the worst thing is an overpass around 19, and a net overall downhill. We've had some good pre-race dinners over the years.

m: 2:55:04 | 10k: 37:14 | 50mile: 9:35

Hi! I'm one of the OGs here on the running ahead dot com message board. There isn't really a Boston buildup series but there are several races that bill themselves as prep for Boston and fall at strategic points on the calendar in late winter or early spring. They're not all metric.

She might be referring to the clubct Boston build up series (http://www.clubct.org/Buildup/BBSked.html), a Fairfield co ct thing.

Come all you no-hopers, you jokers and rogues
                    We're on the road to nowhere, let's find out where it goes
                    pepperjack

pie man

In the era of the newsletter I linked, Cherry Blossom 10M was a tune up race for Boston.  Folks don't really run 10M races two weeks out from serious marathons anymore.

rlk -  mostly a steeple fan in general (liked Bridget best when she was active years ago).  But moderately obsessed with Emma's hometown. And nothing but respect for what's she accomplished.  Don't know a thing about those squats, however.

Running a 30k tomorrow.  Plus a little extra.  Hoping to finish.

11:11 3,000 (recent)

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

Brew - First off, you're a troll.  Second, I probably would have done the same to you. Lastly, I'm not sure if I should completely hate that video or be slightly impressed by it.

The R stuff is (as I understand it) mostly for strength and leg turnover, so rest can be as long as needed for a person to successfully complete each rep. I is basically V02Max stuff, so rests changed based on interval distances to help give a certain amount of time working that system in particular.

RLK - Getting DD1 to the point that she can ride her bike along with me on some runs would be great as well. We'd have to drive into OKC to do that on the path around the lake, which would limit it to weekends. Even so, it would be great to spend that time with her.

PJ - Good luck! Wait... how much is "a little extra"? Another 20k? Are you holding out on us?

CIM - Apparently this should be added to my racing bucket list.

5k: 17:58 11/22 │ 10k: 37:55 9/21 │ HM: 1:23:22 4/22 │ M: 2:56:05 12/22

Upcoming Races:

OKC Memorial 5k - April 27

Bun Run 5k - May 4

Running Problem

Problem Child

Brew - First off, you're a troll.  Second, I probably would have done the same to you. Lastly, I'm not sure if I should completely hate that video or be slightly impressed by it.

The R stuff is (as I understand it) mostly for strength and leg turnover, so rest can be as long as needed for a person to successfully complete each rep. I is basically V02Max stuff, so rests changed based on interval distances to help give a certain amount of time working that system in particular.

CIM - Apparently this should be added to my racing bucket list.

Would it be funny or scary if a troll doll and a beer showed up in the mail? Asking for a friend.

Glad you like it. I was thinking about you on my run wondering why you would hate alliteration. I thought of the song towards the end. The version with Daniel Radcliffe singing it is pretty cool. I can get pretty far in the song myself.

So are the roads not safe enough for DD1 to ride next to you, or does she want to see more than crows, cranes, and cattle?

Yes CIM should be a bucket race. Then again, B-town 2 Big Sur is also a thing. So is Mountains 2 Beaches which might be a better place to visit (warmer) than Sac-ah-tomatos in December. But at least with CIM you have a high probability to meet your online friends. I should have planned for a flat race in one of those fly-over states but I'd end up picking one with a huge hill.

Oh and I'll expect you to have lots of input on what the workouts JD prescribes are for in the next few months. Otherwise I'm going into it blind and I'll have to change paces (faster) every 6 weeks like he says.

rlk the JD printout I have puts 400m Repetition at 88 seconds (5:54 ), I pace is 95 seconds (6:22).  Going through past workouts, I did 8x400 with 400m recovery (3:30) one day. Another day I did the 5x800 (cut down from 6) with 2 minute recovery (standing still/walking) at 6:20-30 pace. This was when I still felt sick. I guess I can hit both the difference is recovery and I'm just completely confused on what my paces are. The really weird thing is the JD 2Q plan has interval and repetition paces in the same workout. Interval has a timed jog, Repetition has a distance jog. This is probably going to become the hardest plan to figure out. Week 2 workout is 4 easy, 5x(1 km I pace 3 min recoivery) + 4x(400 R w/400m jog) + 2 mile easy. Hit every gear I guess. Just like dad was saying he likes to do.

It's cool you rode with your mom during her runs. I envision doing similar activities with NeRP when he is older but it depends where we live. Some areas of town are better (running paths available) for trusting a kid (stupid drivers) to ride a bike with traffic.

Anyone heard from or seen Mr. Orange (nick) or Kev400? Are they taking time off or something?

VDOT 53.37 

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

Brew - I'd get a kick out of such a care package. Not sure who would drink the beer, though, since DW doesn't drink it and I don't drink at all.
                            The (paved) roads I run on are in really bad shape for the most part- pot holes everywhere - so riding a bike would be rough. Dirt roads are lower traffic and in comparatively better shape but harder to ride on. There's also no shoulder at all on any of these roads, it's either road or grass. Not something I'd want one of my girls on.

I think I can help with the JD workouts. I had the same reaction when doing the time-to-pace conversion on Repetitions as well. So long as you don't severely overestimate your starting fitness everything is doable.
                            It helped me to program the workouts into my Garmin Connect calendar and sync it to my watch. I left R stuff at "lap press" so I could have better control over those, but everything else was set just in case I needed reminders on paces/distances, etc.

5k: 17:58 11/22 │ 10k: 37:55 9/21 │ HM: 1:23:22 4/22 │ M: 2:56:05 12/22

Upcoming Races:

OKC Memorial 5k - April 27

Bun Run 5k - May 4

OMR

oregon:  Oops, missed your post yesterday.  Timeline:  After today (see below), I may start doing some real running tomorrow.  Good luck with the "quarter marathon."

rlk:  80%?!  nope...100%! 

Keen:  I was thinking the same thing about CIM.

6M on the AlterG for me this morning, ending with 5 x [2min @ 100% body weight, 1min @ 70%].  With absolutely no knee pain, I'm thinking I may replicate the 2min/1min portion on the pavement tomorrow, followed by a long bike ride.

AceHarris

Running with kids in the stroller is great and the kids seem to love it, but my oldest asks SOOO many questions when we run! When we hit a hill I have to tell her that I can't answer any questions for a while because I'm pushing 75 pounds up a hill.  Have you all seen the kidrunner?? Nothing like making you feel like a carriage horse to get you going.

CIM: I definitely want to run this one day. There's a very tiny chance I look to run it this year. I haven't picked a Fall/Winter marathon yet. Depends on how training goes once I add back some workouts. Should decide sometime in June. Right now it's Erie, Indy, or CIM.

My parents are visiting my brother in Sonoma, CA for Thanksgiving, but I told them we wouldn't be joining them because we don't want to travel / pay for a family of 5 to go to wine country with 3 kids that will be 4, 2, and 1. So, it feels a little lame to then travel to Sacramento 2 weeks later, although it'd be just me and the wife.

Brew: I just want the freedom to explore paces from A-Z again. I'm still slow and tight as I'm working on getting my base back.

DW: A lot of your injury prevention is what I've added over the last 6 weeks to get over this injury. TONS of glute work, core work, and keeping the hip flexors loose.

I should be able to do a pretty fun 9 miles this Sunday morning as we will be at my parents. They live in the valley just below the Appalachian Trail about 8 miles from the TN-NC line. Planning on 6 on the AT with 3 miles on the road back to my parents house.

Road Mile: 5:19 (2017), 5k: 17:09 (2021), 10k: 35:54 (2021), HM: 1:21:55 (2020), M: 2:53:18 (2021)