2018 3:20 (and beyond) (Read 582 times)

oregonrw

The kidrunner! Wow, I hadn't seen that before.  There's no way I could have run with that.  I would have spent my whole run looking backwards to make sure they weren't flying out of it.  Once when my oldest was 4 or 5 and my youngest was 1 or so I was running back up a hill to our house (Charles Street, Pepperjack).  It was a long hill, and not really fun on any day, much less pushing 75 pounds or so, and my oldest suddenly piped up and said, "Mommy, why are you walking?"  I wasn't.

CIM:  Thanks for the reviews -- I think I'm in.

OMR: That's good news -- I hope the run tomorrow goes well.

Ace: Have a good run on the AT - that would be cool.

4 easy miles this morning, "quarter marathon" tomorrow.  My legs aren't feeling great right now, maybe from additional mileage lately, but we'll see how it goes.

darkwave

Mother of Cats

CIM:  Thanks for the reviews -- I think I'm in.

Woo!  *chants "one of us" like they did in The Lost Boys*

12.5 miles for me today.  3 warm-up (8:54), then a 4 mile tempo on the track in 25:44 (6:25/6:27/6:29/6:23).  4.5 miles cooldown (8:52) and injury prevention work and recovery swimming.

I'm happy with the overall time of the tempo, but not happy with how I ran it.  I misjudged slightly in the first mile and then had to back off in the second and third miles to maintain a relaxed hard effort.    I'll blame it on a combo of returning from break and acclimating to warmer temps/some humidity.

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

AceHarris

I signed up for a race!  Figured I'd start a little shorter than 26.2, so I signed up for our local Milefest. It's a 1 mile race on 6/21. Pretty excited about it, even though I won't be in race shape.  They moved it from the neighborhood it was in to this small airport on an island in the TN river just 2 miles from downtown. Lots of fun reasons to run it.

1. Out and back on a runway - first time to ever actually RUN on a RUNway.

2. Sponsored by a brewery...automatic fluid repletion.

3. Food Trucks...yum!

4. It'll be over quick.

Road Mile: 5:19 (2017), 5k: 17:09 (2021), 10k: 35:54 (2021), HM: 1:21:55 (2020), M: 2:53:18 (2021)

darkwave

Mother of Cats

Ace - that sounds really fun.  I love road miles, but have never done one on a runway (or any race on a runway).  I hope it's not a sharp turn for the out and back - that could be tricky at mile pace.

10 very easy (8:55) plus drills, strides, upper body weights and core.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

pepperjack

pie man

PJ - Good luck! Wait... how much is "a little extra"? Another 20k? Are you holding out on us?

It was 20k extra.  And that's pretty much how it worked out, probably 2:45 for the first 30k and 2:45 for the last 20k.  But I finished and that was the goal.  And a got a mini growler and a hat.  It's a trail race inside philly proper, but it really does consist of about 90% trail.  Just no mountains, and that's ok.

I never want want to wear shoes again, however.

Hope everybody is doing well.  Runway miles are cool.

11:11 3,000 (recent)

Running Problem

Problem Child

Race done. Didn’t die but thought I was going to. Top 10 overall. 42:11. 6.15 GPS miles. 6:52/mi Garmin average. Surprised myself today. I think this is also a new personal record for the 10K.

edit: checked a race predictor. It says 3:20:10 using today’s race. Not cool.

second edit: previous 10k PR appears to be in the 44 minute range.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

darkwave

Mother of Cats

Brewing - congrats on the PR!  And PJ - congrats on surviving!  I think Oregon was our other racer this weekend.

My week:  66 miles running and 18 "miles" pool-running, plus other stuff.

M: yoga and 8 "miles" pool-running.
                T: 12.5 miles, including 2000, 4x800, 400 in 7:45, 3:01, 3:00, 2:59, 2:53, 87. Also injury prevention work and recovery swimming.
                W: 8 very easy to yoga (9:19), yoga, then 4.5 very easy (9:07) plus drills and strides.
                Th: upper body strengthwork and core and 10 "miles" pool-running.
                F: 12.5 miles, including a 4 mile tempo in 25:44 (6:25/6:27/6:29/6:23).  Also injury prevention work and recovery swimming.

Sa: 10 very easy (8:55) plus drills and strides.  Then upper body strengthwork and core.
                Su: 18.5 progressive - first 6 at 8:56, next 6 at 7:41, last 6 at 7:01 (plus a tiny cooldown). Also injury prevention work and recovery swimming.

mattw4jc

The kidrunner! Wow, I hadn't seen that before.  There's no way I could have run with that.  I would have spent my whole run looking backwards to make sure they weren't flying out of it.  Once when my oldest was 4 or 5 and my youngest was 1 or so I was running back up a hill to our house (Charles Street, Pepperjack).  It was a long hill, and not really fun on any day, much less pushing 75 pounds or so, and my oldest suddenly piped up and said, "Mommy, why are you walking?"  I wasn't.

Funny. Oregon, perhaps you could just turn around in the harness and run with the kid in front of you. :P

Kidrunner is an interesting idea for sure. I don't think I would like the waist harness deal though.

They should make a cargo version too as I could see some environmentally conscious millennials (aka RLK) using that to bring home the groceries.

But, at $895, I don't see this replacing the push stroller. One nice thing about strollers is the storage for snacks, water, etc.

Strict WTF adherent

It was a long hill, and not really fun on any day, much less pushing 75 pounds or so, and my oldest suddenly piped up and said, "Mommy, why are you walking?"  I wasn't.

That's cold

PJ - Dirty German? I thought that was this weekend coming up. I guess it's a good thing I didn't try to run it.

Ace - The good thing about runways is that they're reliably flat and straight. The bad thing is that they get stupidly hot in the sun. So naturally, the National Guard here hosts a 5k that finishes on a runway. In June. At noon.

This week brought a near-constant stream of tasks that kept me from running as much as I wanted:

Mon - 6.5 easy

Tues - 6.4 hills

Wed - 7.3 easy

Thurs - TURD

Fri - 8 hills

Sat - 12 easy

Sun - 2 hills

Total - 42.2

pepperjack

pie man

Yes, Dirty German. It felt early this year.  But that was fine as I want to get back to training pretty soon.

Although if I do another full or ultra before the middle of June I will be a maniac. Also I can join that club.

11:11 3,000 (recent)

PJ & Brew ~ Congrats. Well done.

rlk ~ Yes, 'R' pace is roughly mile; 'I' pace is about 4K pace.

Shout out to my stepson, who graduated Summa Cum Laude from William & Mary this weekend.

My week:

M) 7.5 & ElliptiGo 45'

Tu) 11 w/ 40' fartlek (2' @LT/3' steady) & ElliptiGo 45'

W) 7.5 & ElliptiGo 45'

Th) 10 & ElliptiGo 45'

F) ElliptiGo 45' & 7.5

Sa) 14

Su) 7.5

Total: 65 + '30' on the Go

Running Problem

Problem Child

My mother mentioned the kid runner a few years ago. She said how great it would be because I don't have to push it. I hadn't heard of it and she showed me the kick starter. Uh it's not available mom. Do you know what kickstarter is? The funny thing is my Bob stroller needed an alignment. Apparently there is a screw on the front wheel that can adjust the front wheel when locked. Why you'd ever need it to pull left/right is beyond me but it's an option.

ace running on a runway sounds cool. There is a mile race here in September. I've considered doing it to see if I can get a 6:00 mile. Is parking for everyone going to be "Park across the bridge and walk 2 miles to the start."?

My niece ran her first 4x400m this weekend. She is a 1-200m sprinter. She told me she felt like throwing up after the race and still felt sick later that day. From what I gathered I think she went out at race pace for the first 200m and rode the struggle bus for the second. She did PR her long jump. Off to write a short story about 6.15 miles.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

AceHarris

Brew: Congrats on the PR! Way to push it! And in regards to parking for the island airport race, there's a few spots, but it'd be more convenient to get there via kayak, haha.

PJ: I'm jealous of your new growler. Nice race!

My Week:

Sunday's run was a lot of fun. 6 miles on the AT then a 3 mile descent back into "town". Ran the last 1.5 with some pace (7:13, 6:58 pace for the .5). I think my legs may finally be trying to get back into shape.

<tfoot> </tfoot>
                            Date Distance Pace Comment  

Mon May 07 

8:20 

Lunch Run 

strava 

Wed May 09 

8:19 

Morning Run 

strava 

Thu May 10 

8:22 

Easy 6 

strava 

Fri May 11 

8:27 

Morning Run 

strava 

Sun May 13 

9:01 

That was fun! 

strava 
                            Summary:

8:34

Road Mile: 5:19 (2017), 5k: 17:09 (2021), 10k: 35:54 (2021), HM: 1:21:55 (2020), M: 2:53:18 (2021)

Speed Surplus

Congrats on the 10k PR, Brew! You can probably continue lowering your PRs in the 5 and 10 for a while if you get back into 3:12 or faster shape for Chicago.

PJ - 30k... plus 20k extra?  Does not compute.

Ace - Runway mile sounds awesome, but I am also skeptical about the turnaround... I ran a half marathon that started on a runway once...and then crossed the Tacoma Narrows bridge.

My week:

It started getting hot here, and I (mostly) welcome the change. I'm not a great hot weather runner, but I was just sick of the endless gray and wet. It should be cool at the start of my marathon, though, and I'm hoping to finish before it can warm up too much down the hill in North Bend. The historical forecast is for a high of 70 at the finish, but it shouldn't reach anything close to that by 10am - I'm hoping it'll still be in the 50s.

On Thursday, I thought I'd just throw a couple miles of tempo into my run - expected to see something like 6:40 on the clock after the first mile of effort and it was 7:03 . So I backed off the next day, doing just a 30 minute run. Of course, I unexpectedly felt great on that run.

On Saturday we had some friends over and I had a little too much beer with dinner - so I couldn't get out for my long run early in the morning... which meant that I had to run in the heat... which meant that I cut my 18 miler down to 11. Maybe I'm just beginning my taper?

Actual question: What should my next few weeks look like on this WTF plan? After last week's practice run on the actual marathon course, I've been feeling more confident. Like, maybe I've put some hay in the barn. With the idea of preserving that hay, how should I proceed so that I can feel fresh on race day, 6/10?

<tfoot> </tfoot>
                              Day Miles Pace Duration Description HR Egain Link
                              Tue 7.1 8:33 1:01 Hot loop 141 (77%) 483 strava
                              Wed 7.4 8:28 1:02 Flies are out to get me 138 (75%) 181 strava
                              Thu 6.9 8:04 0:55 Two miles of "quality" not even approaching HM pace - not sure why so sluggish 163 (89%) 238 strava
                              Fri 3.7 8:08 0:30 Short one after feeling sluggish yesterday 138 (75%) 106 strava
                              Sat 7.6 8:16 1:02 Getting hot... 142 (77%) 253 strava
                              Sun 10.6 8:18 1:28 Too much beer the night before + hot temps = this 141 (77%) 154 strava
                              Sun 0.6 7:48 0:04 Hill skip 134 (73%) 0 strava
                                43.9 8:19 6:05     1415

5:27 / 18:49 / 40:32 / 88:12 / 3:12

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

Oregon - That comment from the oldest is just brutal!

Ace - That sounds awesome, and I'm really jealous that you found a mile race, rather than a mile "fun run".

PJ - Called it! Saw the run on Strava, good job. Nifty that you can get a trail race that long inside city limits without doing a ton of 1mi loops.

Brew - Awesome job on the PR. And you've got a while to build up more of a base before the real training starts.
                                My Thule needs a bit of adjusting from time to time as well. Similar adjustment method.

Looking forward to the novel.

McB - Nice week despite the distractions.

Dad - Great week and congrats to the step son.

Random tidbit: A couple of the local HS kids finished 2nd and 7th in the state final 3200m over the weekend.

Me - Nothing noteworthy from a weekly standpoint. I skipped my weekend LR as part of a Mother's Day gift to DW so I ended up with a touch over 49 miles.
                                I really think the weather has now hit the point at which I need to start carrying some water with me on my runs. It was ~75F, humid, and windy - a good 5 degree jump from what I was used to. I had to push a little harder than I wanted to get back to the house by a certain time (it turns out I didn't even need to do this), but I feel like I've dug myself into a bit of a hydration hole today that'll take a while to get myself out of.

5k: 17:58 11/22 │ 10k: 37:55 9/21 │ HM: 1:23:22 4/22 │ M: 2:56:05 12/22

Upcoming Races:

OKC Memorial 5k - April 27

Bun Run 5k - May 4