2018 3:20 (and beyond) (Read 582 times)

rlk_117

Resident Millennial

max- " ran for 45 minutes with that Ben G guy starting on the SCA trail.  At that point he was doing a fun run because he had no bib.  I would have introduced you.  You should have come out.  I cried when I realized I wouldn't see you. "
    ughhhhhhhhhhhhh regret. ugh. i need to start stalking him on ultrasignup so i don't miss him around here! saw him here when he did a solo tour in 2017 - was incredible, but a trail run together would be even moreso. 😍

oh, i guess it would've been nice to see you, too.

mile, 5:26 /5k, 19:34 /10k, 41:00 /13.1, 1:31:49 /26.2, 3:12:58

AceHarris

brew: If it's any consolation, I'm looking forward to your workout today, even if you aren't. Enjoy the pain!

Road Mile: 5:19 (2017), 5k: 17:09 (2021), 10k: 35:54 (2021), HM: 1:21:55 (2020), M: 2:53:18 (2021)

oregonrw

I have no input on 100 mile races.

Brew: Good luck with your workout today.  Is this the beginning of training for Chicago?  What plan are you following? (Sorry if you've said before, I don't remember and that workout doesn't look familiar.).

Max: Glad the injury is getting better.

Hello everyone else!

7 miles this morning with 8x400 that felt not so great.  I'm tired this week.

Running Problem

Problem Child

Ace: there is a running joke me and my running buddies have. I call it "motivation". Apple made an emoji of it. It isn't accecptable for children to make this "motivating" gesture. I'm sending you motivation. I'm glad SOMEONE is looking forward to it. Oh and my stomach feels empty. This should be awesome.

Oregon Kind of. This is a JD 2Q workout (shortened for time) but "official Chicago Marathon Training" starts in June. 18 week plan. I just figured I should do some kind of speed/LT/interval workout while waiting for training and what better option than doing something I'll do in a few months? I mostly shortened the warm up (8 miles) to fit with running on lunch.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

ilanarama

Pace Prophet

Brew – That “American Fitness Index” only counts cities, and it looks like also major city-suburbs, which is why Aurora CO and Mesa AZ make the map while Boulder (and Durango) don’t. I don’t know what SLC’s excuse is, though! (Also, their mapping is pretty bad. Don’t try to find Albuquerque or Aurora in real life using it.)

Matt – Unless you do the White Rim in a day you need support; we always do it self-supported with one vehicle for every 4-6 people, and we take turns driving.

And I wouldn’t call it epic (that’s reserved for the San Juan Hut trip we did from Purgatory to Moab over 7 days, oog) but it’s definitely a lot of challenging riding, with steep loose climbs and descents and a goodly amount of sand. Here’s my trip report from last year’s ride.

Keen – I would take a lot more than if a course is considered “fast” into account, but in general I agree with what Dwave said.

Dwave – I think you win for longest approach for shortest thrill! (In the Flatirons west of Boulder there’s a rock climb named LAST – Long Approach, Short Thrill – which is exactly what it says on the tin.)

Smax – Yay, you keep me out of the basement of lowest average pace!

Well, I registered for a half marathon.  It's not until August, and as you might guess an August half is not exactly going to be a PR attempt.  On the other hand, it ends at Ska Brewing and includes a ticket to that afternoon's San Juan Brewfest. (I ran this half a few years ago, coincidentally also as my first race back after an injury).

AceHarris

I've been debating whether to try and run Erie marathon to shoot for a BQ - 5:00 and qualify for 2019 or wait and run Indianapolis in November and shoot for 2020. My injury seems to be resolved and I'm progressing, but not sure if an early September race is too early for an all out marathon effort.  Any thoughts on this?

Ilana: San Juan Brewfest sounds like a great reason to run 13 miles!

Brew: thanks for the motivation, however, I'll be sticking with easy runs for the next couple weeks. Can I store this motivation for later use?

Road Mile: 5:19 (2017), 5k: 17:09 (2021), 10k: 35:54 (2021), HM: 1:21:55 (2020), M: 2:53:18 (2021)

seattlemax

Duke Of Bad Judgment

WS qualifiers (since this is a marathon thread): Yes, as the world has now pointed out, there are plenty of non-100 mile qualifiers, all over the country and world, including the Gorge Waterfalls 100k up here that I do some work for every year.  I'd take responsibility for spreading misinformation, but I'm going to blame my friend instead.

Running Problem

Problem Child

Brew: thanks for the motivation, however, I'll be sticking with easy runs for the next couple weeks. Can I store this motivation for later use?

You can try but some times it is difficult using this motivation when you've forgotten what "motivated" you. Oh and it sucked. Kind of.

Since I don't want a RB commenting or seeing what I did it's possible to see it in my training log. Average 1,000m was 6:08 pace with a 2:50-3:00 walk/jog/walk recovery. The last 1,000 made me think I was going WAY too fast (did you know my 5K PR is like 6:37 and I'm doing T work with a 6:20 goal? I didn't) for the first three and I almost quit the workout. The odd intervals had a slight headwind and end on a gradual uphill that looks flat. Seriously, the last interval felt as hard, or harder, than the last mile of the 10k. I thought Threshold workouts were supposed to be AT 10K-HM Pace?!?!?!

4x400m with 400m jog (12-13:00 pace) recovery. Averaged 88.25 seconds (Moving Time 1:27 1:31, 1:30, 1:25). I did out and backs so I could minimize the effect of downhill/headwind. I figured it would be best this way. Times were 1:30.7, 1:31.1, 1:30.9, 1:28.9. I'm not sure if I should go off this or Moving time.

Either something was up with the HRM during my repeats or I just have the most randomly calm heart rate for 400m repeats. Using GPS was OKAY but like keen said earlier, using GPS for track intervals makes 1 or 2 seconds REALLY matter.

Ilana The Mexican Logger sounds right up my alley. Also, the Pinstripe Red Ale...mmmmm....beeerrrr....(home simpson)

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

darkwave

Mother of Cats

Yay!  for a Smax sighting.

Brew - sorry for the mistaken birthday reference - I thought I saw that somewhere.

Ace - Erie can be warm - Indy Monumental is probably the safer choice, weather wise.  And gives you a bit more time to ease into things, though I don't think you've been out that long, so maybe not a concern.

Hi to all others.  10 "miles" pool-running, upper body weights/core, and DIY yoga.

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

OMR

max:  I should probably join the 3:20 Strava group now that I'm back on Strava, and now that it may be a true statement that my running career hasn't come to an end (although I may stick to races that are no more than 4 minutes long).  Is there a link?  And no need to double-up on the kudos.  My current running endeavors are at most worth half a kudo.  But if things improve, I may be looking for a WS qualifier...

runalyze:  Oh no, not another website to tell me how out of shape I am in!

McBen:  "being alone with me for 14+ hours" -- ha!

Brew:  Of all of those shoes, I've only run in the Saucony Rides.  The Saucony shape happens to fit my foot pretty much perfectly, so they are always my go-to shoe for races.

Ace:  I would probably opt for Indianapolis, because otherwise, I know I would probably push myself too hard and re-injure myself.

9 x (4min running, 2min walking) for me today.  Four minutes seems like the upper limit of what I can run right now.  If I could run a sub-4:00 mile, I would be OK with that.

Ace ~ I'd opt for Indy; Erie has always tempted me, but weather/warmth scares me off. Elizabeth and NACN have both done really well there (Indy) too.

DkW ~ I keep reminding myself that "humidity is the poor man's altitude" (And, it beats the pollen, so there's that.)

SMax ~ Epic post of shout-outs.

Oregon ~ I'm w/ you; I know nothing about 100 mile races ... well, maybe if I went through the BBTM calendar, I could find 100 one mile races.

Running Problem

Problem Child

Ace: I’m not a PT, I didn’t stay at a holiday inn but I sometimes read stuff about injuries on the inter tubes. I wouldn’t start training for a marathon as soon as I got back to running. Would you advice your patient to start doing 15 mile runs next month and getting to 60 mpw as recovery from injury?

VDOT 53.37 

pepperjack

pie man

My year (2015) Erie weather was fine.  I think even in the 40's at the start.  The course is all trees, so there is shade and that's a big help.  And the lake moderates things quite nicely.  I have not completely ruled it out myself, and i'm the first person to fret about heat.

11:11 3,000 (recent)

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

Brew - RA keeps messing up the links. I put "www.shoekicker.com" and it moves it to "/shoekicker.com". I'm giving up on that. Or making a post in the tech support forum.

Ilana - I look forward to your triumphant return to racing.

OMR - https://www.strava.com/clubs/282259

5k: 17:58 11/22 │ 10k: 37:55 9/21 │ HM: 1:23:22 4/22 │ M: 2:56:05 12/22

Upcoming Races:

OKC Memorial 5k - April 27

Bun Run 5k - May 4

mattw4jc

For external links, add in the the http - http://www.shoekicker.com

I imagine the editor here automatically makes a link a "relative link" (one that is on this site) unless it has the http in it. That also seems to make it automatically open in a new tab/window or whatever.

But, I'm going to ShoeKicker and trying to use it. I put in a shoe, size and Men's, but clicking the "Show me the best price" button does nothing. Looks like CK broke it somehow.