2018 3:20 (and beyond) (Read 582 times)

AceHarris

CK and his magical break the internet powers!! That’s impressive.

Brew: I think it depends on type of injury in regards to recovery and getting back into legit training. After having a second review of my MRI by ortho, they noted edema at my rectus femoris tendon which likely meant my pain was due to bad tendinitis. With no serious injury and gradual ramp up of miles, I feel comfortable getting back into training. I won’t add any workouts until I hit 40 miles a week.

And speaking of PT, I have really “enjoyed” my time at the PT. Typically they make me hurt for 30-40 minutes of treatment, then 20 minutes where they stretch me out (this is the best part), then 40-50 minutes of training. The training is fairly intense, I’m usually sweating through my shirt by the end of it. My legs are definitely stronger. It’s crazy how different they feel on impact now. I guess actually working out all those stabilizer muscles helps.

Road Mile: 5:19 (2017), 5k: 17:09 (2021), 10k: 35:54 (2021), HM: 1:21:55 (2020), M: 2:53:18 (2021)

pepperjack

pie man

Max - I've studied the qualifying lists a lot, can't help but talk when it comes up.  Of course I picked the one that was more like a 100.  The 23 hour time should have been a big hint.

11:11 3,000 (recent)

darkwave

Mother of Cats

DkW ~ I keep reminding myself that "humidity is the poor man's altitude" (And, it beats the pollen, so there's that.)

Hate to say it, but I've never bought that (my coach say something similar when my asthma is flaring)  I don't think training in humidity triggers the same adaptations as altitude.  I'd love to see evidence/research proving me wrong, though.

I also think we pay way too much to live here and call the local climate "poor man's altitude."  I'm pretty sure Albuquerque and Denver are cheaper....

Off to play with runalyze.  And figure out where I can run on Sunday that is flat, not flooded, and asphalt.

12.5 miles today.  3 mile warm-up (9:03), then 3200, 1600 in 12:51 (6:28/6:23) and 6:04.  6 miles after (8:53)

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

seattlemax

Duke Of Bad Judgment

I have a question.  Well, I have a lot of questions, but I have one that I want to ask here:  What, if anything, should you suggest to someone who says "running slowly is uncomfortable/feels bad"?  My son says this, and a friend says this.  They both run too fast on their easy runs.  I always want to believe that they don't care enough/aren't trying hard enough/think that running faster is better - basically they are slackers.  But there are those people who are extra sensitive to a loose thread or a chair that doesn't feel right, and it's pretty stupid to tell them they are wrong.  Maybe it really is uncomfortable.

Ideas I've come up with to help make a slower pace feel less rotten:

- reverse surges: for one minute every mile slow way down

- the weekly hell run workout - run the slower pace once a week during a shorter run

- aim for small improvements.  If 8:50 is too fast, practice (reverse surges, whatever) at 9:30 and then aim to run at 9:00 instead of 8:50.

- explain all the science of how slower helps them adapt better for endurance (and bore them to tears)

- tell them to grow up/stop slacking

Am I missing anything?  Are there people whose form falls apart between marathon pace and easy pace?

darkwave

Mother of Cats

Point 1: Running slower isn't always the answer.  Different types of runners thrive at different easy paces, and I personally train with a few people who would get very stale if they ran their easy days as relatively slowly as I do.

Point 2:  That being said, there are many more people who run their easy days too fast than too slow.  And anyone who claims that they can't run 2 minutes slower than their marathon pace on their easy days is either a 4:00+ marathoner or someone who really needs to slow down.

Point 3:  The only real way to know one's best way to run easy is to experiment over a season or two, or at least a few weeks.  Do you perform better in your races when your easy runs are slower?  Or not?  How you feel during an easy run is not a good indicator of how beneficial it is for you - it's racing that counts.  It's much more comfortable for me to run my easy runs a bit faster than I do.  But I don't, because I know I don't personally perform as well in races when I train like that.

Point 4:  Yes, running slowly is uncomfortable and feels awkward.  You have to really work to maintain good running form.  And that's one of the benefits of running slowly - it's an extended form drill that pays benefits late in a race, when you start to feel uncomfortable and awkward for different reasons.

Point 5:  Running slowly is like flip turns in swimming - in order to get good at doing it, you just need to suck it up and do it.  I like to do strides after my slow easy runs.  Not just because strides are good for you in all sorts of ways, but also because they're a reward for having successfully ridden the brakes for 10 miles.  And to the extent one needs reassurance that they haven't somehow lost their ability to run fast during the past 60-90 minutes, the strides will provide that comfort.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

AceHarris

max: just have them do 150 squats before the run, that should slow them down. I also like the “bore them to tears option.”

Road Mile: 5:19 (2017), 5k: 17:09 (2021), 10k: 35:54 (2021), HM: 1:21:55 (2020), M: 2:53:18 (2021)

Running Problem

Problem Child

Max: I know a guy in the same boat (runs too fast) but he runs his 2.8 mile loop. Before he moved it was two miles. I asked if it was as hard as he could run.  Yes. Oh well run so you can talk. Nope. Same guy told me he is afraid of Sudden Cardiac Arrest on his run and ‘it came out of nowhere’. He is 27. I gave him plenty of advice about running slower but farther. Honestly the ‘slower hurts more’ might be true but is there a ‘I don’t want to run for more than xx minutes’ in there somewhere? Would tell him them to run for time be better than distance or pace? 30 minutes out and back? The squats before a run is a great idea though. Like when I use to lift weights and run after.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

pepperjack

pie man

Reading Deena Kastor's book.  Much, much better than Suzie Favor-Hamilton's.  I might have been at the TAC Nationals in Raleigh she talks about winning in '85.  Definitely ran meets there around that time.

edit: is making me want to go for a run and also eat.  I already ran today, so...

Strict WTF adherent

Maybe people look at a guy who runs 200 miles on purpose and just do the opposite of what he says.

Seems sensible to me.

Speed Surplus

Um... holy shit. This is basically at the end of the course that I'm running in a couple weeks.

http://www.oregonlive.com/pacific-northwest-news/index.ssf/2018/05/1_dead_1_injured_in_washington.html

5:27 / 18:49 / 40:32 / 88:12 / 3:12

pepperjack

pie man

Looking up low key races to do before the middle of next month and found one in New York with a web address that is 'roadsarepoision.'  Might do it for that reason alone.

Running Problem

Problem Child

Maybe people look at a guy who runs 200 miles on purpose and just do the opposite of what he says.

Seems sensible to me.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

oregonrw

Um... holy shit. This is basically at the end of the course that I'm running in a couple weeks.

http://www.oregonlive.com/pacific-northwest-news/index.ssf/2018/05/1_dead_1_injured_in_washington.html

Something: I read about that this morning and wondered about the tunnel marathons. I thought it was close by. What a sad story.

darkwave

Mother of Cats

Ooof.  That is scary.

PJ - I take it you recommend the book?  I was worried it was going to be bland and inspirational - two things I don't particularly enjoy.

McBen - excellent point.

I seem to have inadvertently registered on the German version of Runalyze.  Hilarity has ensued.

My week: 64 miles of running, 18 "miles" of pool-running, and other stuff.

M. yoga and 8 "miles" of pool-running.
                              T: 12.5 miles, including a track workout of 2000, 1600, 1200, 800, 400 in 7:55, 6:18, 4:35, 2:55, and 82.  Also lower body strengthwork and injury prevention and recovery swimming.
                              W: 8 miles very easy to yoga (9:21), yoga, then 4.5 miles very easy (9:17) plus drills and strides.
                              Th. Upper body strength-work and core, DIY yoga, and 10 "miles" of pool-running.
                              F: 12.5 miles, including a track workout of 3200, 1600 in 12:51 (6:28/6:23) and 6:04.  Also lower body strength-work and injury prevention and recovery swimming.
                              Sa: 10.5 miles very easy (9:10) and drills and strides,   Then DIY yoga and upper body strength-work and core.
                              Su: 16 miles, including 2x5 miles at marathon pace - 35:14 (7:06//7:05/7:00/7:04/6:59 - average pace 7:03) and 35:12 (7:02/7:06/7:01/7:06/6:57 - average pace 7:02).  Also lower body strength-work and injury prevention and recovery swimming.

fb-guy

I have a question.  Well, I have a lot of questions, but I have one that I want to ask here:  What, if anything, should you suggest to someone who says "running slowly is uncomfortable/feels bad"?  My son says this, and a friend says this.  They both run too fast on their easy runs.  I always want to believe that they don't care enough/aren't trying hard enough/think that running faster is better - basically they are slackers.  But there are those people who are extra sensitive to a loose thread or a chair that doesn't feel right, and it's pretty stupid to tell them they are wrong.  Maybe it really is uncomfortable.

Concentrate on form -- like golf or tennis.

m: 2:55:04 | 10k: 37:14 | 50mile: 9:35