2018 3:20 (and beyond) (Read 582 times)

pepperjack

pie man

I am 100 pages in, but so far it's decent.  Enough biography to balance the inspirational spiel (schpiel?).

11:11 3,000 (recent)

My week:

M: colonoscopy (oooof)

T: 1h elliptical, weights

W: 1h bike, weights

Th: 1h elliptical

F: urd

S: 1h pool running

S: 1h pool running, weights

My gimpy calf was getting aggravated by the elliptical&bike and started to swell, so I went switched to the pool.  Time does not fly by while pool running.

2 week vacation starts tomorrow.

Hey to y'all!

Strict WTF adherent

OMR - Hooray for progress

Rovatti - Sounds like quite the adventure. Enjoy.

My week:

Mon - 6.1 hills

Tues - 6.3 easy

Wed - 2.3 easy

Thurs - 15.5 easy

Fri - 6.3 hills

Sat - 7.6 slow

Sun - TURD (Unexpected urgent care visit with kid #3, who is as fine as she'll ever be)

Total - 44.1 miles. Taper (?) time?

fb-guy

Back from a house-hunting trip and way behind, but I got to run on the promenade in Antibes -- which was fun. Hey all! This thread is a busy, happy place.

Rovatti -- enjoy your trip, and answer my last email!

OMR -- so good to see you back out there.

Terrible about the mountain lion.

Max -- always fun hear what you are up to. Take care of your golden; our older Lab made it to 13 and 1 month and she was happy the whole time. Lab #2 is coming up on 11 and can't jump up on the bed any more. I need to pick her up.

Who knew Macchu Pichu had a marathon?

Brew -- good luck with the Chicago cycle. That's exciting, and a great race. Chicago beckons; we're helping DD2 move into a new apartment in a couple of weeks. Renting UHauls is fun.

WS qualifiers -- aren't the TNF Challenge (50 miles) and Headlands 50 qualifiers to get into the lottery?

Me. Over the past two weeks I might have found my sweet spot. I can do 8@8:30-ish without overdoing it, and so far, I can do it every day without feeling wiped out. We'll see if I can keep it up, but for now I'm all in on base building.

Hello everybody! Lots going on. Good things.

m: 2:55:04 | 10k: 37:14 | 50mile: 9:35

Back from Charlottesville and my son's graduation from the University of Virginia! Wahoowa!!!

SMax ~ I'd start by saying "don't run fast/hard" rather than "run slow." And if you feel like you're pushing, back off a little. In the context of a team/HSers, we used to do a "tennis ball fartlek" where we'd do just jog and toss ball back-and-forth; every time you drop the ball you ease up ... very playful and not hard. Also, getting the boys to run w/ girls always works. Finally, I'd start w/ really small chunks of 'slow running' -- do a couple laps around the sports field very easily before we hit the track (and repeat for cool down), eventually you start to adjust.

pepperjack

pie man

The WS qualifying races page is sortable by distance, location, time limits, etc...  Very well-designed.  Looks like like only about 50 domestic races on the list these days, and only about 10 of those are less than 100M, all 100k or more.  I remember JFK used be to one with a not-so-impossible time limit, along with the 50 (52!) at big horn when I did it (I was hours away from the time there which was the same or similar to JFK)

I built a ramp for Kali when she got older, she still jumped up and down from the bed frequently, though.

11:11 3,000 (recent)

Running Problem

Problem Child

Rob: Monday results yet? Also, I giggled at FURD (Ford with a southern accent) probably more than most.

keen: if they’re both multi day trips with only an hour difference I guess my only other question or focus would be if there is stuff for the family to do. Relatives, amusement park, massive online friend gathering kind of things. Rollers vs 1downhill I wouldn’t think would ruin too much but the only I have to compare it to is a local marathon (3:25 PR I THINK) and CIM (3:13) rollers with some downhill. If they’re around the same timeframe I guess you could also see what training would be like for the family. Better to end early or start late? Family trips that would avoid a 20 mile run because of when taper week is etc. kind of things.

McBen: did you mail enough snow globes and police oil to your turn around aid stations?

rlk: I saw the company bus off 80 this weekend. I almost took a photo of NeRP in front of it.

To send to a friend of mine.

my week included NeRP having a few “melt downs” but not exercising the nuclear option this weekend. He is much larger than babies his age (or older by like 30% of his age) so he might actually grow up to be 6’4. I learned to pack a pack n play even though he isn’t mobile (sleepi) and my uncle I said hilarious being retired (he made a mock hotel suite including news paper, mints, towels, welcoming note and jokes about workers being on strike. No invoice thought). Hooked up with a local running group for some miles and realized my “hometown” has changed so much in 15 years I probably wouldn’t like living there anymore. Plus I’d probably be a cyclist (Specialized only) and at least some of the older stuff never changed.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

OMR

rovatti:  I've got your Monday workout coming up in about a month.  Not looking forward to it.

FB:  8:30 sounds like a sprint to me right about now!

max:  I've been "forced" to slow down, but I don't recommend using that tactic.

My week...

M:  6M AlterG
                  T:  4.5M -- 10 x (3min run, 2min walk), then 8.3M cycling
                  W:  5.8M -- 10 x (4min run, 2min walk)

T:  5.3M -- 9 x (4min run, 2min walk)

F:  Rest & final appointment with the surgeon

S:  3.1M -- 7 x (3min run, 2min walk)

S:  32M cycling

Total:  18.7M running/walking.

A couple of things stood out this week.  1)  I can't run on pavement three days in a row or my knee will act up, so this week will be alternating days of running and cycling.  2)  Meeting with the surgeon went well, although when he went over his notes, he indicated that there was one area that he had labeled as Grade 3 cartilage damage.  Said he was concerned about that area for the long term.  I asked what he meant by that, was he talking about 10 years from now, and his response was something along the lines of "Well, hopefully."

darkwave

Mother of Cats

My one big recommendation for the colonoscopy prep: Cliff Shot Bloks in Margarita flavor.

They don't interfere with anything (no bad dyes, etc), they help with some of the electrolyte loss during prep, and they're a heckuva a lot more palatable than lemon-lime jello and whatever prep solution you're using.

Trust me on this one.

Yoga and 8.5 "miles" pool-running this morning.

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

Max - When I first started running at an appropriate easy pace was really uncomfortable on my knees. Nothing to do with not being able to cover a certain distance since running a little faster didn't have the same effect. After a couple weeks of running I was able to slow down without that same discomfort.

FB - Bravo for finding that sweet spot.

Brew - Pack n plays are great for stuff like that. My hometown is almost exactly the same as when I graduated, so that's not something I could relate to.

DWave - Noted. Yet another solid week. Well done.

OMR - Good to hear about the progress. Hopefully that cartilage area doesn't come up anytime soon.

Finally hit 50 miles/80k for the first time since tapering for my HM. Not much in the way of workouts (temps/humidity are tough on me!) and no long runs. DD1's soccer season is now over, so that should free up Saturdays for longer runs. DD2 turned 4 yesterday. Simple party in a local park - lots of fun was had by all. I'm not old enough for my middle child to be that old! And DD3 cut her first tooth!
                      We had our first ~60F/15.5C day in well over a month, which was nice for a LT run today. Ran this one on the track since my headlamp died Friday and I don't have a replacement yet.

Work has started a nation-wide team "steps challenge", tied to some small-ish monetary awards based on performance. Nice idea to get people moving, but it kind of defeats the purpose when they let people manually enter in how many steps they "think" they have, without using a watch/activity tracker. It's nice that they're funding some new running shoes for me, though. 
                      As an off-shoot, some of the guys in the office have started a "25 pushups every hour" contest. No incentives other than GAINZ and bragging rights.

Monday, May 14, 2018 thru Sunday, May 20, 2018

<tfoot> </tfoot>
                      Day Miles Pace Description HR Link
                      Mon 9.3 8:02 1 deer (1 stride), 1 hawk, 2 buzzards. That can't be a good sign. 157 (80%) strava
                      Tue 9.3 8:26 5 cranes & 6 hawks.Today is a better day already, despite accidentally eating those gnats just before mile 2. 145 (74%) strava
                      Wed 9.4 7:53 Ten Junk Miles: Long Run #54 143 (73%) strava
                      Thu 9.8 7:29 8mi M-effort. Not my finest work. 161 (82%) strava
                      Fri 9.3 8:15 2 deer (2 strides), 1 crane, and moving another OBT off the road 147 (75%) strava
                      Fri 3.1 8:13 Runch time in Watopia 136 (69%) strava
                        50.2 8:01

5k: 17:58 11/22 │ 10k: 37:55 9/21 │ HM: 1:23:22 4/22 │ M: 2:56:05 12/22

Upcoming Races:

OKC Memorial 5k - April 27

Bun Run 5k - May 4

Speed Surplus

Been reading the thread but no time to catch up at the moment. Dropping off week quickly and then will be back later.

Yesterday's 18 miler was maybe the toughest run of this cycle, even though I've done longer (18.5 with more hills) and faster. It was hotter and I was a bit depleted at the start of the run, so that probably contributed. The HR is not accurate though - had two separate blocks of time totaling 40 mins or so where it went up to 180 (from, like, 138). Probably true HR around 140, so not a big cardio effort. Just physically demanding.

<tfoot> </tfoot>
                        Day Miles Pace Duration Description HR Egain Link
                        Tue 7.1 8:39 1:01 Slower than expected, but very easy effort 137 (74%) 477 strava
                        Wed 7.3 8:30 1:02 Easy miles, not junk miles! 131 AHR 👌 132 (72%) 285 strava
                        Thu 1.2 8:30 0:10 To the top 131 (71%) 43 strava
                        Thu 2.0 6:56 0:13 Downhill MP effort test (FAIL, too fast) 143 (78%) 0 strava
                        Thu 3.2 8:25 0:27 Back to work 143 (78%) 175 strava
                        Fri 7.5 8:45 1:05 Put all the usual routes in a blender 134 (73%) 385 strava
                        Sat 4.0 8:17 0:33 Hot and short 140 (76%) 107 strava
                        Sun 18.1 8:27 2:32 No food and just a little water. Not easy. HR wrong OF COURSE 149 (81%) 424 strava
                          50.4 8:27 7:06     1896

5:27 / 18:49 / 40:32 / 88:12 / 3:12

Running Problem

Problem Child

Keen: work did fat bits (digital wristband step counter) a couple years ago. People started walking. Contest over, walk-in over. As for headlamps, REI has a sale right now. I’m eyeballing a $53 Petzl with a rechargeable battery. I also have a black diamond Storm, I think, so I kind of want to try another for night running. Plus having a back up is nice and they’re handy for repairing cars. Good job on breaking 50. It was a struggle for me with Saturday driving. Wasn’t DD3 built mid October?

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

SClever - Have you tried turning the optical HR off/on during the run? This has helped with mine the few times I've had HR issues that weren't caused by blood vessel constriction in the cold.

Brew - DD3 came fully-assembled a week before Christmas.
                            Despite it dying on me (after a couple years) I loved my Black Diamond Sprinter, mostly because of the red blinky light on the back. My new one was delivered today!
                            I don't see my company ever springing for even a cheap Fadbit for employees.

The local LRS just sent out an email about their 2nd (now annual) road mile. Evening start on a Friday for the "elites" (sub 5 for men, sub 6 for women) and an open event late the next morning for mortals. I'm strongly considering this. Ignore the fact that the last specific race I "considered" was a 50k. Winner was 4:29 last year.

5k: 17:58 11/22 │ 10k: 37:55 9/21 │ HM: 1:23:22 4/22 │ M: 2:56:05 12/22

Upcoming Races:

OKC Memorial 5k - April 27

Bun Run 5k - May 4

Running Problem

Problem Child

SClever - Have you tried turning the optical HR off/on during the run? This has helped with mine the few times I've had HR issues that weren't caused by blood vessel constriction in the cold.

Brew - DD3 came fully-assembled a week before Christmas.
                              Despite it dying on me (after a couple years) I loved my Black Diamond Sprinter, mostly because of the red blinky light on the back. My new one was delivered today!
                              I don't see my company ever springing for even a cheap Fadbit for employees.

The local LRS just sent out an email about their 2nd (now annual) road mile. Evening start on a Friday for the "elites" (sub 5 for men, sub 6 for women) and an open event late the next morning for mortals. I'm strongly considering this. Ignore the fact that the last specific race I "considered" was a 50k. Winner was 4:29 last year.

Ace had his kid first. I guess it's handy we did things in alphabetical order. Ay, Bee, Kay. 4:29 is cruising.

SC I hope you have my luck with the HRM. I can't say it's ever been wrong when I've needed it to be (race day) but you seem to be pretty prepared for this year. Good luck and enjoy the taper soon.

fb-guy I moved 20 hours (with mom...horrible idea) to college once. I then moved 4 hours to college. It's convenient to have a truck (chevy S-10) as it limits what you need to bring.

VDOT 53.37 

Arvind Balaraman

Been reading the thread but no time to catch up at the moment. Dropping off week quickly and then will be back later.

Yesterday's 18 miler was maybe the toughest run of this cycle, even though I've done longer (18.5 with more hills) and faster. It was hotter and I was a bit depleted at the start of the run, so that probably contributed. The HR is not accurate though - had two separate blocks of time totaling 40 mins or so where it went up to 180 (from, like, 138). Probably true HR around 140, so not a big cardio effort. Just physically demanding.

Awesome Week SC