2018 3:20 (and beyond) (Read 582 times)

Arvind Balaraman

wow solid week

My week: 64 miles of running, 18 "miles" of pool-running, and other stuff.

M. yoga and 8 "miles" of pool-running.
    T: 12.5 miles, including a track workout of 2000, 1600, 1200, 800, 400 in 7:55, 6:18, 4:35, 2:55, and 82.  Also lower body strengthwork and injury prevention and recovery swimming.
    W: 8 miles very easy to yoga (9:21), yoga, then 4.5 miles very easy (9:17) plus drills and strides.
    Th. Upper body strength-work and core, DIY yoga, and 10 "miles" of pool-running.
    F: 12.5 miles, including a track workout of 3200, 1600 in 12:51 (6:28/6:23) and 6:04.  Also lower body strength-work and injury prevention and recovery swimming.
    Sa: 10.5 miles very easy (9:10) and drills and strides,   Then DIY yoga and upper body strength-work and core.
    Su: 16 miles, including 2x5 miles at marathon pace - 35:14 (7:06//7:05/7:00/7:04/6:59 - average pace 7:03) and 35:12 (7:02/7:06/7:01/7:06/6:57 - average pace 7:02).  Also lower body strength-work and injury prevention and recovery swimming.

Running Problem

Problem Child

My Week

I trolled KJeen and his hate for alliteration. He came back with some good stuff though. Friday Strava cut my miles short. I felt like crap the whole time. It was possible due to current diet (whole 30) and Friday being the "I just want to sleep" day.

Thursday's workout sucked. 1,000m repeats at Interval pace using my current 10K race. 6:24/mi (4:00/km) was the goal. I fell flat on my face. Interval 5 was crap. 6:24, 619, 6:48, 6:33, 7:25. Either I'm not in JD 2Q week 11 shape or I bit off more than I can chew. The rest intervals were jog or a walk/jog/walk mix. For 400m repeats I did out/back and jogged the recovery (slowly) which ended being about 3:00 each rest like the 1,000m repeat rests. My understanding is T runs improve lactate clearance and R increases anaerobic endurance. I hit the 4x400m repeats almost no problem according to the clock (6:05, 6:07, 6:06, 5:58 last one, fast one). Maybe I need more work on the lactate clearing part of running. Maybe I took too long of a rest for the 400m so I was more recovered. I know my legs felt trashed later that day.

Saturday was a 6 hour drive with NeRP to visit family. Sunday was the same drive. Thankfully I found a local group to run with and get SOME kind of distance. Most of the roads we ran I drove (fast) as a kid so I wouldn't have considered running them early in the morning a safe thing. Nice group.

Last night I wanted ice cream so I drank 3 Le Croix Lemon flavored sparkling waters. It tasted nothing like ice cream but a 12 pack is $4 so it's cheaper and lasts longer.

Training starts too soon. Next Friday I have a relay (30 miles in 2 days with a few hours sleep between 7:00am Friday and 2:00pm Saturday) so I probably won't get TOO many miles that week early on. Chicago training SHOULD start Monday (18 weeks) but the relay sort of interferes with it. I'll probably go for a total of 56 miles and see if I can get the first Q2 workout in after Memorial Day weekend. It's really here.

Weekly Summary
      Monday, May 14, 2018 thru Sunday, May 20, 2018

<tfoot> </tfoot>
      Day Miles Pace Description Link
      Mon 6.8 8:44 That time I wasn't sure what the plan was. strava
      Tue 8.5 8:24 That time your days are numbered. strava
      Wed 7.5 8:06 That time WE WEnt with WEt WIndy WEather WEdnesday. strava
      Fri 6.6 8:57 That time Strava and I were 💩 strava
      Fri 2.0 19:59 That time Strava ate my lunch money strava
      Sun 12.0 8:37 That time I was a tourist in my own home town. strava
        43.4 9:05  

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

pepperjack

pie man

Sorry, couldn't resist posting this somewhere.

11:11 3,000 (recent)

Arvind Balaraman

Nice week BR. My chicago training starts on Memorial day as well.

My Week

I trolled KJeen and his hate for alliteration. He came back with some good stuff though. Friday Strava cut my miles short. I felt like crap the whole time. It was possible due to current diet (whole 30) and Friday being the "I just want to sleep" day.

Thursday's workout sucked. 1,000m repeats at Interval pace using my current 10K race. 6:24/mi (4:00/km) was the goal. I fell flat on my face. Interval 5 was crap. 6:24, 619, 6:48, 6:33, 7:25. Either I'm not in JD 2Q week 11 shape or I bit off more than I can chew. The rest intervals were jog or a walk/jog/walk mix. For 400m repeats I did out/back and jogged the recovery (slowly) which ended being about 3:00 each rest like the 1,000m repeat rests. My understanding is T runs improve lactate clearance and R increases anaerobic endurance. I hit the 4x400m repeats almost no problem according to the clock (6:05, 6:07, 6:06, 5:58 last one, fast one). Maybe I need more work on the lactate clearing part of running. Maybe I took too long of a rest for the 400m so I was more recovered. I know my legs felt trashed later that day.

Saturday was a 6 hour drive with NeRP to visit family. Sunday was the same drive. Thankfully I found a local group to run with and get SOME kind of distance. Most of the roads we ran I drove (fast) as a kid so I wouldn't have considered running them early in the morning a safe thing. Nice group.

Last night I wanted ice cream so I drank 3 Le Croix Lemon flavored sparkling waters. It tasted nothing like ice cream but a 12 pack is $4 so it's cheaper and lasts longer.

Training starts too soon. Next Friday I have a relay (30 miles in 2 days with a few hours sleep between 7:00am Friday and 2:00pm Saturday) so I probably won't get TOO many miles that week early on. Chicago training SHOULD start Monday (18 weeks) but the relay sort of interferes with it. I'll probably go for a total of 56 miles and see if I can get the first Q2 workout in after Memorial Day weekend. It's really here.

Weekly Summary
          Monday, May 14, 2018 thru Sunday, May 20, 2018

Day Miles Pace Description Link
          Mon 6.8 8:44 That time I wasn't sure what the plan was. strava
          Tue 8.5 8:24 That time your days are numbered. strava
          Wed 7.5 8:06 That time WE WEnt with WEt WIndy WEather WEdnesday. strava
          Fri 6.6 8:57 That time Strava and I were 💩 strava
          Fri 2.0 19:59 That time Strava ate my lunch money strava
          Sun 12.0 8:37 That time I was a tourist in my own home town. strava
          rlk_117

Resident Millennial

hi all! too behind to catch up, sorry Sad

pj- haha, that is great. a local news outfit wrote an article before bay to breakers. "the marathon route is ...."
            i also just started deena's book. really like how much of it is well-written biography.

max, scleverhttp://www.letsrun.com/forum/flat_read.php?thread=8825151 you've seen this ??? really effing scary.

also, woman in UK drives her car through half marathon course because she has to get to work.

http://www.letsrun.com/forum/flat_read.php?thread=8826329

horrifying.

this weekend was SF's annual footrace/party/nude parade/etc, so my team did our "centipede" races - bungee cord (white cords below) 13 of yourselves together and race! it is the most teamwork-y thing i have ever experienced in running, it's really quite amazing. a lot of communicating and checking in with each other and not doing race moves that are your personal instinct/tendency. also there are a few different formations for parts of the course - want to be in a straight line for the first ~mile and for the sharp turns at the end of the race, and then v-formation for the rest of it. tension on your bungee cord means someone is running too fast and pulling everyone else along - and getting your feet stepped on means someone behind you needs to slow down. 
            we always do it in costume - theme is usually a strong female figure. bonus points if you can spot rlk.
            Image may contain: one or more people, people standing, shoes, shorts and outdoor

we ended up doing 7:25 pace or so for the 12km (7.5mi) - a centipede is only as fast as its slowest runner - including a notable half-mile long uphill with 200ft of elevation gain. i was a little worried about my own capabilities going into it since i've been on a running respite for almost a month now. been doing like 20mpw and running 9min pace and loving it as a way to recover from burnout. pleasantly surprised to have low-7s in my arsenal when i need them, even if out of shape.

mile, 5:26 /5k, 19:34 /10k, 41:00 /13.1, 1:31:49 /26.2, 3:12:58

AceHarris

Quick drop by to drop off my week. Still making some progress. Trying not to rush things and "enjoy" the easy runs before getting back into workouts. The heat and humidity is here to stay for a while.

Rovatti: I laughed at Monday's workout

SC: sounds like the weather and low fuel may have got you on the LR.

<tfoot> </tfoot>
              Date Distance Pace Comment  

Mon May 14 

8:05 

Evening Run 

strava 

Tue May 15 

8:29 

So Hot, Need Shade 

strava 

Thu May 17 

8:32 

Working out some soreness from cross training  

strava 

Sat May 19 

8:13 

Why does taking a wrong turn always lead up a big hill? (I.e., 9.75mi mark) 

strava 

Sun May 20 

8:05 

Feeling good 

strava 
              Summary:

8:16

Road Mile: 5:19 (2017), 5k: 17:09 (2021), 10k: 35:54 (2021), HM: 1:21:55 (2020), M: 2:53:18 (2021)

bonus points if you can spot rlk.

5th from left?

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

Brew - I'm forgetting Daniels' rest interval times for I workouts, so I can't comment too much other than that Intervals are HARD. 1k I-paced repeats are a thing in the marathon plan? Great, now I have that thought hanging over my head for the next 8 weeks.
                  6 hours is a long drive with a NeRP-aged person.

RLK - The 'pede thing looks like fun, so long as it works out. I could also imagine it being miserable. Glad you're enjoying the running down time.

Ace - How's your littlest one doing? Glad you're making progress. I'm not happy to hear that the heat and humidity are sticking around in your AO because....

Just found out that I *might* being going on a work trip to Nashville for a week in mid-July. Which also happens to coincide with what will be either the first or second week of marathon training, depending on which race I target. Add that to a week away from my girls and I'm not thrilled about the prospect.

5k: 17:58 11/22 â”‚ 10k: 37:55 9/21 â”‚ HM: 1:23:22 4/22 â”‚ M: 2:56:05 12/22

Upcoming Races:

OKC Memorial 5k - April 27

Bun Run 5k - May 4

Speed Surplus

OMG pepperjack, A+ meme. 

5:27 / 18:49 / 40:32 / 88:12 / 3:12

Running Problem

Problem Child

Brew - I'm forgetting Daniels' rest interval times for I workouts, so I can't comment too much other than that Intervals are HARD. 1k I-paced repeats are a thing in the marathon plan? Great, now I have that thought hanging over my head for the next 8 weeks.
                      6 hours is a long drive with a NeRP-aged person.

Just found out that I *might* being going on a work trip to Nashville for a week in mid-July.

I have so much beer you could probably bring home. lol!

Yeah...starting in week 2. It's almost identical to what I just did too but with a longer warm up. SO not looking forward to it but I MIGHT try to sneak it in at work during a long lunch. I think Sunday is supposed to be 1 E = 6 M + 1 E + 6 M + 2 E and I'm assuming I'm supposed to use a current marathon pace (calculated off 10K) instead of goal marathon pace. I remember him saying to start where you're at and work your way up 2 VDOT values over 18 weeks. 1-6 current VDOT; 7-12 VDOT +1; 13-18 VDOT+2.

pj It is funnier because my niece runs the 800, her sister runs cross country and I'm the nut job running forever. The sprinter told me she ran 2.5 miles non-stop. Her sister called BS.

Skipped the run today. I just didn't feel like it. This week's miles are going to be low. Yard work weekend.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

rlk_117

Resident Millennial

mile, 5:26 /5k, 19:34 /10k, 41:00 /13.1, 1:31:49 /26.2, 3:12:58

pepperjack

pie man

When I did Caesar Rodney half a few years ago a guy form the city came and gave a nice speech, but he kept calling it a half mile marathon.

very medium track workout tonight.  Legs felt OK, which is a bit crazy only 10 days after a long run.

11:11 3,000 (recent)

very medium track workout tonight.  Legs felt OK, which is a bit crazy only 10 days after a long run.

1-2-3-4-5-4-3-2-1 minute (w/ 1 min recovery) fartlek tonight, b/w 10K and 10M pace. Legs felt KOd. No long run to blame either.

fb-guy

RLK -- great photo and glad it worked for everyone -- and that means everyone -- :-). Are you completely hidden in the back and aren't there 16 of you? I did the crazy race with my teacher when I was in 6th grade, which would be about 1972. It was crazy back then and the hill was already there.

Dad -- late on this one; congratulations on the college graduation!

Brew -- we went to help DD1 move when she graduated from college, and she said that she was nearly done and that it would be easy. Two days later we still loading.

PJ -- it's one of those 5K marathons.

SC and weather -- with summer around the corner, and people starting to feel the heat? Are you slowing down or seeing higher HR at the same paces? I gotta figure out hot weather this year.

Me. For a while, my workouts are going to say 8@8:30 every time. Very boring reading; nothing like Dad, Ace, Brew, etc.

Hey everyone!

m: 2:55:04 | 10k: 37:14 | 50mile: 9:35

mattw4jc

In 2014, a local running club attempted the world record for tethered runners in a 5k. They had something like 170 people and had to run/walk in formation. I think they were successful, but it has since been broken again by a group in Ohio.