2018 3:20 (and beyond) (Read 582 times)

Speed Surplus

Back from Chicago and catching up. Shoutouts in a minute. Meanwhile.

Runner's ear -- I use earbuds everyday, and if I don't keep them clean, I get runner's ear. An infected scab right where the earbud rests -- I can't tell if it's fungal (athlete's foot, jock itch) or bacterial. Or something else. I've tried tinactin, anti-bacterial, bactine, hand sanitizer, etc.

Does anybody else get this and what do you do about it?

Thanks!

Have you considered over-ear headphones? I can't wear earbuds because they won't stay in my ear. I got a pair of these and they've been great, especially for the price:

https://www.amazon.com/SoundBot%C2%A8-SB221-Bluetooth-Sports-Active-Secure-Fit/dp/B01AKSJUH0/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1528997025&sr=8-4&keywords=soundbot+bluetooth+headphones

5:27 / 18:49 / 40:32 / 88:12 / 3:12

seattlemax

Duke Of Bad Judgment

Ilana: Yep, Ouray.  Well, do what you can with those fire - counting on you and Bud Lite.

Ace: Funny, during my workout today I was thinking about people watching runners go by their house over and over.  On hill interval N, I noticed a Neighborhood Watch sign:  "We are watching you.  We report all suspicious activity to the police."  I wondered if a runner shuffling up and down a hill for more than an hour is suspicious.  (Actually, calling me a "runner" isn't really accurate given the pace of the shuffle.)  Seems pretty suspicious to me.

Running Problem

Problem Child

Just ordered a new sugar free electrolyte supplement. Showed up today. $3.25 for 3 packs to test out.

https://www.lyteline.com/

Oddly enough, I was thinking about Keen when I saw the tracking. Have you seen this stuff around town?

fb-guy My wife bought me a pair of YURBUDS years ago when I'd listen to music on runs. I just stopped one day but I occasionally use the earbuds....until apple discontinued a headphone jack.

max I saw a local running group posts mention NOT making the same loop over and over. I thought to myself about all the times I thought of being the "old guy at 6:00am every morning" and how some people might actually use runners as a reference point for being late to work. I have a cyclist I started using recently.

Kind of over work currently. Regretting not applying for another job I can convince myself I'd get BUT I'm also telling myself I get the benefit of training on lunch. It's just getting to a point at work where anything I say to potentially improve things will probably make things worse for myself. So hopefully I get my entry to the 4/20/20 marathon in Chicago. Saturday (2.5 hour driving out and back) should be fun. I might do a NeRP run since I'm thinking about it and the 2 hour run Sunday before the lake.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

OMR

Ace:  Are you a cross-over gait kind of guy?  I am, and one thing I've noticed recently from all of the core strengthening I've been doing is that I walk a little differently now, with my legs farther apart, so that the foot is more directly under the hip.  According to the Gait Guys, this is a good thing.  I'm not sure it translates into my running form, however.  Oh, and I'm going to suggest that you deserve the "NOTY" Award (Neighbor of the Year) for riling up those dogs.

ilana:  I hope you get some Bud Lite this weekend.

max:  My guess is that those people know your history and would think it weird if you ran by their house just once.

I ran the Cats Cradle 5K this evening:  $5, 5 kilometers, all of the money goes to charity.  No bibs.  No timing mats.  Before we started the RD said, "This is a run, not a race."  It's also not a 5K, but who cares.  2.97M @ 8:21/mile.  I haven't run slightly less than 3 miles that fast in a very long time.

Running Problem

Problem Child

Before we started the RD said, "This is a run, not a race."  It's also not a 5K, but who cares.  

This needs to be accepted by lots of people. Sometimes it’s a run just to be fun and you learn about the back of the pack. It’s 3 miles. It is the same mentality that we used on RLK. JUST CRUISE!  Get passed, look at the runner and think ‘they have been chasing me’ and realize 3 miles is really FAWKING far.

omr: way to get it done. So glad rehab is working. Just don’t start pushing miles because some number online says so.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

ilanarama

Pace Prophet

Hee, I ran a "5k" like that in April, my first "race" back, at 8:15 pace.  I'm faster than OMR! 

The HEPA air purifier that arrived on Wednesday has significantly improved my quality of life.

AceHarris

OMR: I’m fairly positive I have a crossover gait to some extent. The PT and orthotics have made a c hange similar to what you’re describing. I feel bow legged now, but stronger.

GOOD LUCK GRANDMA RUNNERS!!

Road Mile: 5:19 (2017), 5k: 17:09 (2021), 10k: 35:54 (2021), HM: 1:21:55 (2020), M: 2:53:18 (2021)

OMR

Hee, I ran a "5k" like that in April, my first "race" back, at 8:15 pace.  I'm faster than OMR! 

*sniffle sniffle* ...

Brew:  Thanks.  As for racking up the miles, I don't need some online number to tell me to push it.  I've got my own internal thing going on...such as checking out Western States qualifying races that are still open this fall and also take place before the cutoff for qualifying for 2019.

Ace:  Ha, I feel the same way, and I am slightly bowlegged to begin with!

Good luck to Grandmas runners!

darkwave

Mother of Cats

Thanks all for the good wishes.  Weather is a bit up in the air right now (*rimshot*).  Some impressive thunderstorms have rolled through this afternoon, and there's the possibility of thunderstorms tomorrow morning.

Temps could be anywhere from low 50s to high 60s, there's disagreement on whether we'll have a headwind or a tailwind, and it could be monsoons or mostly dry.  And maybe lightning...

Legs felt *really* good on my shakeout this am - better than they did pre-Boston.  I did 2 miles at 8:56.  I usually only do one mile, but I felt like I needed the second mile this morning to get my stomach settled, so went with it.

I think I'm in shape to break 3:05 if the weather plays fair, or faster with a tailwind.  But I just won't know what weather we're getting until the race actually goes.

I'm guessing a lot of people are having trouble getting here because of the weather.  I'm really glad I flew in yesterday.

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

pepperjack

pie man

11:11 3,000 (recent)

DkW ~ GOOD LUCK!

oregonrw

Good luck Darkwave!

thru half at 1:32:50

Update: 2:20:33 thru 20M, which is a 6:55 segment (13.1-20); projects <3:05!

fb-guy

Miss a week, and you miss a lot.

Go DW!!!

OMR -- Congratulations on everything. Race, miles, all of it. Anyways, great to hear about your progress. OMR. Ultra. Autumn.

OMR, Ace -- Love the gait guys, and everything you describe sounds right and good. I remember them talking about crossover and I consciously worked on it for a while. Now I'm trying to move the landing and push off load onto my thighs and it seems to be making my knees and achilles feel better. Or, I'm making it all up. And happy Ace anniversary.

Max -- the brain forgetting that the muscle was there and figuring out how to get it firing again was interesting. Are you going to be able monitor/feel that you are making progress?

McB -- what max and Dad said.

Keen -- we have roundabouts.

Jim and rlk -- you seem to be having way too much fun.

Ilana -- blah on the air, and glad the air filter got there. Very sad.

PJ -- spontaneous ultra and a bandanna thing.

Rovatti -- a true shit show and feeling terrible for you. Try shoes, try PT, try accupuncture, qigong. Something has to break your way.

SC -- glad you are pleased (not euphoric) and got your phone back (pretty sure I read that). Looks like a well executed race to me with a slight fade. Well done!

Brew -- whenever you hate training, remember that Chicago is a good looking city.

Dad, Oregon -- hello! Trying to not be that dweeb who doesn't know what the hell is going on!

Helping children move -- one day we did four pickup truck loads, drove all over the city, carried beds, sofas and desks up countless stairs and ended up eating in Chinatown at midnight. Fun times. But the apartment looks good and joy was felt by all.

Me -- got a new pair of shoes (same model) and they feel great. I think I really killed the other two pairs -- they each had 450+. Snuck in 30 in Chi-town and got run on Lakeshore way up north and way down south, and along River Walk. Pretty nice.

m: 2:55:04 | 10k: 37:14 | 50mile: 9:35

ilanarama

Pace Prophet

Just a few seconds under 3:03 for Dwave, WELL DONE!  Almost a 6-minute PR.

Also Nick (RunBikeNick) finished in 3:03:35!  Also a PR.

Kev dropped at 16 with knee issues, according to his Strava.

MOST IMPORTANTLY: I ran outside this morning!  It's (FINALLY!!!! YAY!) raining, so the air is filled with drizzle instead of smoke.  I think I saw every runner in Durango out there gleefully running in the rain.