Wed - 2 easy and weights, plus 6.9 easy

Thurs - 8 slow

Fri - 6.3 hills and weights

Sat - 3.7 dog

Sun - 11.3 easy

Total - 50

pepperjack

pie man

dwave- WOOOO congrats! that is stellar!!! excellent work.

my team has a history at the olympic trials - we have never missed one since the team was born (so 1984 was the first opportunity). yesterday we got our first OTQer for the 2020 cycle, with  2:42 at grandma's. this is a gal whose PR was 3:00 a year ago and like 3:30 a few years before that. felt more exhilarating seeing her result roll in than when we watched Desi win Botswana on TV ... serious feeling of team <3! there is a solid crew right behind her who will likely snag their tickets to Atlanta over the next 1.5 years. pretty exciting. also, fun fact, her mom ran the OT marathon too (1984). i wonder if there is any other mother/daughter combo in the same event at the OT.

some good running stuff i've read recently that y'all might enjoy:

https://tempojournal.com/article/city-guide-tracktown-usa/

https://lopemagazine.com/2018/06/14/women-steeplechase-history-emma-coburn-courtney-frerichs-jenny-simpson/

http://citiusmag.com/trevor-dunbar-father-essay/

That was actually a Letsrun question recently without an answer.

On the flip side someone has the incredible hot take that point to point courses shouldn't be OTQ eligible, which is so stupid it's almost humorous.  So, typical LR.com

My week was 2 on Monday, 5 on Wednesday, and 6 on Saturday.  Plus my watch said 9 miles walked on Tuesday thanks to the parade. And a bit of a pleasure cruise on the bike yesterday.  That's a lot of cross training for me.

edit: I can see McBen's post now.  Hi.

11:11 3,000 (recent)

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

Max - Best of luck with getting that muscle to work again, and on your upcoming Bad Idea.

Ace - I could deal with a hawk being my spirit animal. I'm a fan of raptors in general. It has always interested me that hawks will almost always just watch me run by rather than flying off or just ignoring me. Bravo on the consistency.

FB - I second SClever's suggestion. I like Trekz, personally. Sound quality isn't as great as a more "normal" pair of earphones, but they do leave your ears completely open.

Ilana - Intervals on a treadmill are tricky! Glad you finally got to run outside later, though. Hooray for the air purifier!

Brew - I haven't seen that stuff before, but I'm interested. Let me know what you think if you've been able to formulate an opinion yet.

DWave - Awesome job!! So fracking excited for you.

RLK - Congrats to your incredibly speedy teammate.

McB - Nice week.

Lower-than-expected mileage this week, but still decent. Wednesday night the family and I went to my parents' place as my grandparents' were having a small 60th anniversary celebration on Thursday. Between staying up late chasing lightning bugs and star gazing with DD 1 & 2 (my parents live in the country and the lack of light sources nearby makes for very dark skies) I frankly wanted to sleep in rather than get up at 05:30 to go for a run. I skipped this morning, too. I'm really feeling the need to go for a run now, though.
        I did break out my hydration vest for the LR so I wouldn't have to setup a water stop for myself and do small loops or an out-and-back, which really makes me want to do an ultra. Without having to stop to refill a water bottle I felt like I could just run forever if I wanted to. Silly, I know. And probably especially so to the real ultrarunners around here.

Weekly Summary
        Monday, Jun 11, 2018 thru Sunday, Jun 17, 2018

<tfoot> </tfoot>
        Day Miles Pace Description HR Link
        Mon 10.1 7:47 12x 200M R, 1E in the middle 149 (76%) strava
        Tue 10.1 8:27 1 rabbit, 1 hawk, & 19 free wheeling cyclists. Where'd they come from? Are they lost? 136 (69%) strava
        Wed 10.1 7:57 Loop de loop de loop de loop... 142 (72%) strava
        Sat 15.1 8:35 Red dirt, hills, and straight lines 144 (73%) strava
          45.4 8:13      

5k: 17:58 11/22 │ 10k: 37:55 9/21 │ HM: 1:23:22 4/22 │ M: 2:56:05 12/22

Upcoming Races:

OKC Memorial 5k - April 27

Bun Run 5k - May 4

rlk_117

Resident Millennial

That was actually a Letsrun question recently without an answer.

who do you think posted that? Wink

first thread i've ever started, i think. and given the first reply was typical 12 y/o infant boy garbage, it'll probably be the last.

mile, 5:26 /5k, 19:34 /10k, 41:00 /13.1, 1:31:49 /26.2, 3:12:58

Speed Surplus

Congrats DW! What a run.

Nice weeks by Dad, Rovatti, Ace, Keen, and McBen.

I've had 7 days off, and today I'll get back to work. Good thing it's going to be 90 outside...

5:27 / 18:49 / 40:32 / 88:12 / 3:12

pepperjack

pie man

I was thinking maybe Kirsten, mother of Neely Spence could have been a possibility, but all I see for here is merely a 17Tight lippedx 5k PR.

edit: supposed to be x  x  but I like the mr yuck so i'm not changing it.

11:11 3,000 (recent)

Running Problem

Problem Child

gpops great job out there.

dwave I'm inclined to find you a moose mug (literally) and mail it to you. Do you get an actual mug? Good luck with sub 3 too. CIM should be good for that.

keen It tastes similar to diluted salt water, which it should, because you're adding concentrated salts to it. Worked fine on the Saturday run with NeRP. If you want it to taste like flavored anything I'd suggest adding flavors. I started looking at Tailwind but that's not comparable to me. Two different products. This stuff has no sugar (whole 30 compliant) so it would be a better replacement for Gatorade. It was worth the $3.25 to find out what it was like. It's the second electrolyte replacement I've found without sugar.

rlk I think it's cool your team has sent someone to all of the OTQ. Did someone you know get engaged or something? Gearing up for the Morgan Hill 5K or are you going to skip it and stick with "not racing every weekend" running?

omr awesome week! I can see attempting to qualify for WS is motivating you to get out there. Keep doing what you're doing.

rune I think I'm 2 weeks ahead. I believe I'm in week 16 (90% of peak mileage) right now. So far I'm really happy with my performances with his workouts. They don't seem TOO difficult AFTER I finish but I'm treating the "3 min rest" as jog/walk recovery. I'm not sure if this is correct BUT it's helping me keep up training paces. The 5x1,000m then 4x400m/400 recovery is an interesting one and I was intimidated at first. Currently part of my plan is to increase the paces after 6 weeks because at the beginning/explanation of the plan he says to pick a pace and increase it once after 6 weeks and again after another 6 weeks. We shall see how it goes. I have my first 8M run Sunday. The book says 7:24 and the next VDOT (50) would be 7:17. I MAY target 7:20.

My Week:

It went well although I couldn't get away from work during my runs. I had a few conversations that stuck with me, then I'd think about responses I could/should have made during my run, and I'd come back to work with a "who cares" attitude. It started to bug me and I almost skipped Friday's run entirely. I just lacked motivation but I'm glad I did it later in the day (not AS hot). I am going to attempt doubles this week for two reasons. First, when I have to do 70 MPW it will help to NOT have to do 10 mile runs every day. Second, I think it's the only way I'll get a day off to recover or go to lunch with friends or do something other than run. Third DW is leaving Friday - Sunday and I'll have NeRP. If I get my miles in early I can take Saturday off and have family watch him during a workout Sunday. Mostly because I don't want to skip the workout, but I don't want to wait until DW gets home. She is mostly afraid I won't wake up to him crying between 12:00-2:00 am because I sleep through it now. I joked that he might be sleeping through the night when she gets home. Downside...apparently he got his arm in the crib slots the other night and wasn't happy.

My Sunday run was interesting. It rained for the first hour of the run (chaffed nipples SUCK) then cleared up the rest of the day. I was glad I had the run done early but for the first hour I considered turning back and grabbing a coat, waiting out the rain, or running on a treadmill. I took expired (october 2017) cliff shots with me and took 2 at mile 5 (40 minutes) but forgot about them (plan was 5, 10, 15ish if I'm doing 16 miles) and felt fine. Either something is going GREAT for me right now or I haven't hit the fatigue point. It occurred to me I should be using some kind of fuel during long runs to prepare for Chicago. I don't feel like I "NEED" fuel during a long run but I know I'll be using something come race day. I'm still mixed on training with supplements. Oh, and every run I've done this week has started with my left lat/Rhomboid Major hurting. It goes away around a half mile but it's enough to make me afraid each day I won't be able to finish the run without pain. It makes me want to find more time to do some TRX during the week.

Weekly Summary

<tfoot> </tfoot>
                Day Miles Pace Duration Description Link
                Mon 7.7 8:17 1:04 That time we should front load the miles strava
                Tue 9.5 8:42 1:23 That time I smelled better BEFORE the run. strava
                Wed 6.0 8:10 0:49 That time it was all a bunch of 💩 strava
                Thu 6.0 8:19 0:50 That time you'll have to get over this. strava
                Fri 6.0 8:08 0:48 That time I said 6. strava
                Sat 6.0 8:23 0:50 That time we took out the 3 wheeler. strava
                Sun 15.0 8:04 2:01 That time I unlocked a new achievement. strava
                  56.2 8:18 7:46    

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

rlk_117

Resident Millennial

brew- you translated my  cryptic strava title! yes, the emojis signified: OTQ at grandma's, engaged, stanford graduation

i will probably do the morgan hill 5k just to see where i am. just doing mileage right now - slowly inching my way back up. ran 13.4mi yesterday which was my longest in awhile!

Running Problem

Problem Child

brew- you translated my  cryptic strava title! yes, the emojis signified: OTQ at grandma's, engaged, stanford graduation

i will probably do the morgan hill 5k just to see where i am. just doing mileage right now - slowly inching my way back up. ran 13.4mi yesterday which was my longest in awhile!

I figured if YOU got engaged you'd either have a photo or tell us.

I just saw I spent 7 minutes LESS this week running but I ran about 2 miles further.  I'm not sure what to make of that. I also realized I need to figure out what I'll eat this weekend. I'm going to die.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

Alistair2466

Greetings;

I am a 52 year old, male runner having completed 7 marathons, qualifying for last years Boston Marathon with a 3:27:32.

Last August while training for a fall race I broke down with Achilles tendonitis in both ankles. After almost 9 months of rest (achilles are still not 100%) I have just started training for the 2018 Mohawk-Hudson Marathon in October.

My goals is to finish this race, run a respectable Spring 2019 marathon and then re-qualify for Boston at the 2019 Wineglass Marathon next fall.

rlk_117

Resident Millennial

I figured if YOU got engaged you'd either have a photo or tell us.

I just saw I spent 7 minutes LESS this week running but I ran about 2 miles further.  I'm not sure what to make of that. I also realized I need to figure out what I'll eat this weekend. I'm going to die.

haha. yes, i will find some quirky way to inform Big grin

probably less elevation compared to (presumably) previous week?

sorry, i've been bad at keeping up. what is this weekend?

dex8425

Congrats DW! I love Duluth.

Also, RLK, I saw that 2:42 of your teammate on IG. Congrats to her.

I was up in northern WI, not far from Duluth, and thought of the runners and figured I'd check in.

Get that mileage up, OMR! Doing WS100 would be awesome, good luck with that qualifier.

Jim E

Max - Wow that sounds tricky with the hamstring non-engagement thing. Do the drills, I guess.

FB - I can't say I've ever had jock itch im my ear, no. I do find that other chafe-y things are a whole lot better if cleaned regul
                            arly. I throw my phone belt in the laundry from time to time.

Ace - If you are not neighbor of the year, take consolation in that dog-lady is not in the running either.

Ilana and OMR are racing each other now?

Yay Dwave! Yay Dwave!

Rovatti - Is the Moose Mug still a physical thing, now that RWOL is no more?

rlk - Go Team! Morgan Hill is my 5K PR. Just sayin'.

Alastair - Hi and welcome, be patient with the return to racing fitness. Voice of experience speaking.

Chi-town lurks on the horizon, so I'm doing workouts from Daniels 2Q. Yesterday was that one with 18 miles, 10 of them at Tempo: 5 mile warmup, 4 miles T/4mins rest, 3 T/3min rest, then 2 T/2 rest, 1 T/cooldown. The paved trail I was on had gradients, so tempo was  more of an effort than a strict pace. Which part of that was the hardest? The freaking cooldown! I stopped twice for a breather. I was done, but I still had to get to the car. I drove straight to the nearest diner, inhaled an omelette, and felt muuuch better.

Arvind Balaraman

hearty congrats DW. This is awesome. Looking forward to sub-3 in CIM

Arvind Balaraman

Awesome Week BR, you are Chicago strong now.

Weekly Summary

Day Miles Pace Duration Description Link
                                Mon 7.7 8:17 1:04 That time we should front load the miles strava
                                Tue 9.5 8:42 1:23 That time I smelled better BEFORE the run. strava
                                Wed 6.0 8:10 0:49 That time it was all a bunch of 💩 strava
                                Thu 6.0 8:19 0:50 That time you'll have to get over this. strava
                                Fri 6.0 8:08 0:48 That time I said 6. strava
                                Sat 6.0 8:23 0:50 That time we took out the 3 wheeler. strava
                                Sun 15.0 8:04 2:01 That time I unlocked a new achievement. strava