2018 3:20 (and beyond) (Read 582 times)

pepperjack

pie man

How many barriers would that be.  4/mile maybe?  I'd be climbing over after one.

11:11 3,000 (recent)

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

OMR - Yeah, sub 3:05 is a target. I made good progress in the spring and am heading in to my next cycle with a far better base than I've ever started with. 3:05 won't be easy, but barring injury I think I'll be able to make a strong attempt.

DWave - Seeing you mention the leg spring stiffness reminded me to check the Stryd page for my race. LSS is usally ~9.8-10 for me in my usual shoes, or a touch higher for hard efforts. Wearing the pink racing shoes it was in the 11+ range, though. Interesting.

Dad - Nice workout.

The race went pretty well. It was warm and humid, though not as bad as I thought it would be, with about a 10mph/16kph wind that was a tailwind for ~1k to the midpoint turn, then naturally a headwind back to that 1k/4k point. Yes, this race only has kilometers marked, something that only this timing company does around here.
      People seeded themselves oddly well, except for the 6 year old who thought he could hang at sub-18 pace. One of the super-fast guys did something to his calf before the 1k point and hobbled back to the start - I ended up passing him on the way back at around the 4.5k point.

I ran just by effort / stryd and things felt really good to the turnaround, where I passed the only person I would - an 18:2x 5k guy who's coming back from a leg issue. Thing were a bit slower on the way back due to the wind (though the cooling effect was nice. About the 3k point I started having some GI issues. The closest porto-johns are at the start/finish and I was caught in an uncomfortable place between "running is the fastest way to get there" and "GI issues will probably go away/lessen if I stop running". I settled on a bit of a middle ground and backed off the effort a little and made a sudden right turn after finishing (19:07) to head to the porto-potties and all was well after that.

I'm a little bummed I didn't go sub-19, but I did get a PR out of it and overall I'm happy with it. I did like the new shoes. They were far less noticable than my usual training/racing shoes, if that makes any sense (I use different pairs of the same model for each).

I found out recently that I'm going to have a heart scan soon. My mom has been freaking out about this type of thing recently since her brother had a heart attack a couple weeks ago (he's fine, just had a small stent put in) at the same age (59) at which my grandfather had open heart surgery. She and my dad both have gotten scans, and my brother and I have both been informed we're getting one as well. Since these are pretty cheap ~$50 out of pocket, possibly totally covered by insurance) I figure there's no point in objecting, even though I don't have any of the risk factors for heart disease (except family history, but if you go back far enough everyone has that).

5k: 17:58 11/22 │ 10k: 37:55 9/21 │ HM: 1:23:22 4/22 │ M: 2:56:05 12/22

Upcoming Races:

OKC Memorial 5k - April 27

Bun Run 5k - May 4

rlk_117

Resident Millennial

Kinvara are cushy recovery shoes for when your feet hurt. :-)

haha, i busted a metatarsal wearing kinvaras, back in the day! set myself up in big, cushy brooks for awhile after it healed...

PS. shelby MF houlihan !?!!!

mile, 5:26 /5k, 19:34 /10k, 41:00 /13.1, 1:31:49 /26.2, 3:12:58

Running Problem

Problem Child

keen congratations on the PR. Your GI issues remind me of a Wednesday workout I recently had. Fortunately your race was shorter.

Random running today. I believe it’s easy to spot who is in the area for vacation and where they are from. The people next to me were here 12 days and they live in town. Both sides of me.

Just easy yunning for this week week and I should be able to hit the goal. The 5x1k repeats started gettin harder and harder so I cut out the 6th (I REALLY didn’t want to quit this) because it wouldn’t have been NEAR the pace (7:20 not 6:20) and while it would have been threshold effort I don’t feel like it would have had the same training effect. I ended up being 1/2 mile short but for some reason I would have been OVER the 14 mile prediction according to the training plan with 18 minutes of jog recovery. Apparently that doesn’t count to JD2Q.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

CDR K ~ Congrats.

rlk, et al ~ Do we feel good Shelbo is clean?

rlk_117

Resident Millennial

dad- i saw the LR thread asking the same question. i really want to believe she is. her progression makes sense given her background, and we have seen her dominate at each level she's been at. if she drops a 3:55 next week, i'll wonder, but until then...

also none of jerry's people have been so far. i like to believe this stuff goes in packs and is heavily training group/coach based.

mile, 5:26 /5k, 19:34 /10k, 41:00 /13.1, 1:31:49 /26.2, 3:12:58

ilanarama

Pace Prophet

Keen - congrats on the PR even if it wasn't sub-19.

Age grade - I was just using the Masters Athletics one.  The Howard Grubb calculator gives me only 77.31%, guess I'm not really that awesome after all.

Brew - data is fun!  I agree with Rune, think about your body positioning and your legs.  I always try to concentrate on the old chi-run idea of being pulled forward from the navel.  Not that it actually helps me, because as soon as I think of something else, I'm back to crappy form.

Dwave - that's great you have your food sensitivities dialed in.  I think that's a valid usage of chain restaurants (which I otherwise tend to avoid).  I have difficulties with restaurants (lactose and fructan sensitivities) so it's often a crapshoot.  So to speak.

We ditched town and went to Wolf Creek Pass for some dayhiking on the weekend, so last week was only 26 miles of running, but also 25.5 miles of hiking with bunches of elevation gain.  https://ilanarama.dreamwidth.org/167320.html if you want to look at pictures.

ETA: I almost forgot to mention, on Independence Day I joined the local hash group, which I've never done before. It was...entertaining. Across town, up the "sky steps" and then off on a trail, down a stupid steep trail, up a stupid steep trail, stop for beer, back down, across to the paved rec trail, and then...across the river for beer.  Pretty sad that our river is only ankle deep this early in the year, but it was refreshing, anyway.  4.7 miles averaging 16 minute pace, go me!

runethechamp

Dwave - Thanks for the details of how you do things before a race. Seems like you put a lot of thought (and maybe trial and error) into figuring it all out. I do find the overall plan interesting, and might try to experiment with that myself to make sure I don't have a repeat of my last marathon in Amsterdam.

Keen - Great race and congrats with the PR. I just realized I had a similar experience last year in a HM, was hoping for a better time but still set a PR, and initially I was a little bit disappointed, but then realized a PR is always good, especially on a less than ideal course (which I also had).

Brew - I think you did the right thing cutting that last interval.

Ilana - Nice photos! That's a lot of time on your legs as well so I think that hiking makes up for a lot of miles running.

Racing flats - The flattest shoes in my collection right now are some Boston 6s (feel free to roll your eyes DW ). I do like them though (used them for Wednesday's tempo workout), and since looks like there are lots of good deals out there on the Adios I might pick up a pair to see what they are like.

Houlihan - Nice kick at the end (although not as crazy as on that 5k). I think I choose to not question anyone with regards to doping unless they come out of nowhere to suddenly win everything.

I finally got to do a threshold workout under "normal" conditions on Wednesday (first one was on a treadmill, second one in super windy conditions). 2x2T+1T, preceded by 6 miles easy (and before that, 3 hours on my back under a car with my oldest son, helping him replace the alternator on the car he is driving). Managed to keep a 6:56 average pace on the T segments, although it seemed to me that the last mile of the second 2-mile segment was harder than the last 1-mile segment. Looking at my HR it seems like I was at the correct effort level (although my HR seemed very high for the warmup miles), but my legs sure felt heavy at the end. Might have something to do with all the easy miles at the beginning, and the hours spent under the car . And the workout ramps up next week already with 3x2T... And that's not even close to the workout Jim was doing the other day. I guess this is a case of "what doesn't break you makes you stronger" or something like that. I might even be looking forward to tomorrow's more leisurely m-pace workout.

5k: 20:32 (1/17)  |  HM: 1:34:37 (2/18)  |  FM: 3:31:37 (3/18)

Getting back into it

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

Thanks, all!

Brew - Tough workout. Particularly when on the roads I'm fine with workout segments being ok from an effort standpoint, even if pace is way off. I've noticed that JD doesn't seem to account for the jog recoveries in estimated mileage for a workout.

Ilana - Sounds like a great mini-vacation - great pics, too!

Shelby - I don't know enough about her to say anything other than "wow, that's fast".

5k: 17:58 11/22 │ 10k: 37:55 9/21 │ HM: 1:23:22 4/22 │ M: 2:56:05 12/22

Upcoming Races:

OKC Memorial 5k - April 27

Bun Run 5k - May 4

fb-guy

Two thoughts on food for those of us in the celiac, lactose intolerant, dicey stomach crowd.

Peas -- green, fiber and digestible (at least for me).

Olive oil -- digestible goodness, goes well with everything.

That, and salt. Pink salt.

m: 2:55:04 | 10k: 37:14 | 50mile: 9:35

seattlemax

Duke Of Bad Judgment

Long time...

Aged Shot Blocs: Yeah, been there done that one.  Don't pop a couple of those in your mouth as you start to bike up a steep hill.

Darkwave: "Shedding excess fitness" is a thing?

OMR/FB: I liked the Templiers video.  There's a mountain just to the east that has a seriously steep climb up it where you end up on a narrow steep ridge - sustained 40% grade for the top mile.  I came down that the other day and a couple times I looked down at the "trail" in front of me and used an expletive.

Seriously!?!: We're talking the impact of bowel movements on body weight here?  Maybe it hasn't been a long time after all...

FB: Do you run in Altras too, or do you just go through a cycle of compressing the toes in a narrow toe box and then expanding them while you do your nails?

Keen: Congratulations on the freebie heart scan.  What could go wrong?

Well, I can't say that was the most thorough reading ever, but I did get through 10 pages and the night is still young.

Probably all you need to know about me is 1) Ouray 100 is in less than 3 weeks.  2) Strava says I did ~79000 feet of climbing in June (and that wasn't even inflated due to those Mt. Everest runs I did on the beach at Santa Barbara in April).

darkwave

Mother of Cats

A few shoutouts....

CK - congrats on the race.  And yes sub-19 is right there.  I'll update the chart in a bit.

FB - that's a firm NO on peas from me.  They do a number on my stomach similar to garbanzo beans - I just don't digest them well at all.  It's a pain, because pea protein is in a lot of stuff.

On Shelby H: I wonder if she's not unfortunately experiencing the peak year of her career in a year that everyone else is de-emphasizing because there are no Worlds or Olympics this year.  That may be part of why she looks so exceptional.

My week: 55 miles, 17 "miles" pool-running and some other stuff.  I eased back into stuff this week with hill work and some aerobic running. I'm planing on staying away from the track for a bit longer, and just doing hills plus some road mile races.  I'm also subbing in a shorter long run at aerobic pace (7:30-7:50 ish) for my normal long runs with marathon pace.  I've done a LOT of MP work this year, and I don't see any reason to touch that pace until the next marathon training cycle starts.

M: yoga+8.5 "miles" pool-running.
                          T: 11 miles - 5 miles warm-up (9:19), then 8 short hill strides of 60-70 strides each, with 2:30 jogging downhill recovery.  3 miles cool-down (9:28).  Also injury recovery work and recovery swimming.
                          W: 8 miles very easy to yoga (9:19), yoga, and then 4 very easy miles (9:14) plus drills and strides.
                          Th: upper body weights/core and 8.5 "miles" of pool-running
                          F: 10 miles - 3 miles warm-up (8:52), then a workout of 6 circuits of running hard uphill for ~2 minutes, 90 second recovery, a ~200m downhill stride, and another 90 second recovery.  3 mile cooldown (9:43).  Also injury prevention work and recovery swimming.

Sa: 10 miles very easy (9:06) followed by drills, strides, upper body weights and core.

Su: 12 miles aerobic (7:43).  Also injury recovery work and recovery swimming.

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

For the record, I'm not convicting SH, I'm just jaded ...

My week:

M) 6 + ElliptiGo 45'

Tu) 6 + ElliptiGo 45'

W)  9 w/ 10x400m (90, 88, 89, 91, 92, 92, 95, 91, 92, 93) w/ 200m + ElliptiGo 45'

Th) 9 w/ aerobic progression + ElliptiGo 45'

F) 5.5 w/ 6 x 1' pick-ups (tempo pace)

Sa) 11 w/ 4 tempo (6:26, 23, 21, 15) + 4x200m (40, 39, 38, 36)

Su) 6

Total: 52.5 + '20' on the Go

OMR

Keen:  I think you've got a good shot at <3:05.  Good luck with that heart scan!

Kinvaras:  Slap a pair of orthotics in them, and they are extremely cushy foot pillows.

ilana:  Cool pics.

max:  Do you like the video enough to want to run it?

Dwave:  Bouncing back from Gmas, I see.

My week...

M:  7.5 @ 8:34 w/strides

T:  2.6 @ 9:26

W:  9 @ 8:52

T:  6.7 @ 9:05

F:  8.1 @ 8:48 w/strides

S:  6.5 @ 9:15

S:  Rest

Total:  40.4.  By Sunday, a rest day seemed in order, as my knee was popping a bit more than I would like, and I just felt worn out.  Meh.

Running Problem

Problem Child

Who is this Shelby we speak of? The only Shelby I know by name is actually named Carrol and made racecars (Carol Shelby) and has a museum in Vegas.

Dw: so are you taking the RLK approach to running for a few weeks? Run for fun and not for fame? Also, were those drywall anchors or was the shelving mounted into a stud? From the photos it appears to be drywall anchors.

max: saw the ‘failed’ attempt. You’re going to smash that race. I’d come hang out but my race is flat so I don’t need Hill training.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22