2018 3:20 (and beyond) (Read 582 times)

fb-guy

For the record, I'm not convicting SH, I'm just jaded ...

At this point, it's hard not to be.

DW -- I don't do engineered food, but had noticed that pea protein was in lots of things -- including the new non-meat hamburgers that bleed. Big factory in Oakland. What about green stuff -- spinach, kale, chard, mustard? Can you do those? I can't. Before I realized the celiac thing, I worked with a nutritionist what said "eat lots of greens", and I said that I ate lots of spinach, and she told me that the problem was that I should be eating kale instead. I stopped working with her. haha. I think one of the basic food rules is that swapping similar things doesn't matter (Twinkies for vegetables, sure, but veggie for veggie, no). Too bad about those peas, though.

OMR -- Nice week and a smart decisions on Sunday. Everything is better with orthotics! Would you run/crawl Templars if Max comes?

CK -- good luck with the scan; it's always good to know and your family will be happy. The next time you are doing a long race and DW says, "I hope you're going to be OK", you can say "at least I got my heart scanned." And everyone will be happy!

Rune -- nice workout. Have fun pushing it up to the edge but not over with those workouts. M pace as a fun run. Sure. I didn't know that you could even work on a car on that point. Is that still allowed?

Max -- you are mad. 80,000 ft in 30 days = 2,666.6666 ft per day. I think.

Altras -- do you have a pair? Like 'em?

Me -- as OMR put it -- just feel worn out. Meh. That and lots of knots and a puffy achilles. yay. Going to try to hold on to 50+ mpw around 8:30 until something gives. I either crash or start getting stronger. Lots of foam rolling for the knots and puffy achilles. Temp in the 90s.

6@8:38

8@8:58 (tired)

8@8:18 (leaning forward, less up/down)

4@8:11 (short; kept DW company at doctor appt)

8@8:42

8@8:52 (tired)

8@8:10

50.2@8:34. Like last week and the week before that.

m: 2:55:04 | 10k: 37:14 | 50mile: 9:35

Arvind Balaraman

What is the duration between breakfast and the long runs/races.

Doing some catch up...

Breakfast each morning is brown rice mixed with either hemp powder or egg, and then salted and flavored with GUs, plus snacking on a GU gluten-free stroopwafel.   This is my pre-run breakfast  that is tried and true - digests well, passes quickly (especially if the GUs are caffeinated), and gives me plenty of energy.  I do have to be a bit selective with the GUs as I don't tolerate all of them equally well - some of the flavors (chocolate-mint especially) give me heartburn and aggravate my vocal chord dysfunction.  That's why I always note in my log exactly what I ate pre-run and whether it sat well.

Arvind Balaraman

Nice balanced week. Hope you feel better

Me -- as OMR put it -- just feel worn out. Meh. That and lots of knots and a puffy achilles. yay. Going to try to hold on to 50+ mpw around 8:30 until something gives. I either crash or start getting stronger. Lots of foam rolling for the knots and puffy achilles. Temp in the 90s.

6@8:38

8@8:58 (tired)

8@8:18 (leaning forward, less up/down)

4@8:11 (short; kept DW company at doctor appt)

8@8:42

8@8:52 (tired)

8@8:10

50.2@8:34. Like last week and the week before that.

Running Problem

Problem Child

rune I worked on the "Legs push you forward" a little bit during my Wednesday repeats (horrible ending) and tried to think/focus on the foot/toes pushing me forward. I think I am in the "pull legs forward" mentality of running currently. Great job on the marathon paced runs. I think my Sunday run is supposed to be around 7:17/mi for 8 miles. Then another 6 miles. I did 4 around this pace (unplanned) and while I didn't die it wasn't 14.

dw re:eggs before races. I've brought hard boiled eggs to CIM for breakfast along with bread and cashew butter (personal favorite) because breakfast was that before long runs. Just a thought in case you want to bring eggs to a hotel room. Without a fridge it's easy to keep them on ice.

max good luck, as always, on the 100. I saw the Strava run and I can see how you hit 79,000 feet of climbing. I think I hit 790 this year.

rlk Hope you're enjoying the vacation. Looks like some epic adventures. Oh and the Morgan Hill 5k looks like a BORING course. Yeah you see Main St. and it's worth watching the parade but other than that...ending a 5K with an uphill SUCKS. MyPizza is next to the finish line and is the best place in town for pizza.

fb-guy I've run in Altras for a year or so. I wore them for CIM both years I've run it. I never had complaints about them. A RB ONLY wears Altras and claims it's because no other shoe gives him enough room. I asked if he's ever ordered or asked for a WIDE shoe (anything other than D width) and he looked at me like I had rainbow hair. He asked me if any local stores had them and I told him to ask them not me. Any particular reason you're looking at them? The one thin I remember about them is they FEEL like they don't come up high enough on my ankle. Nothing bad, just...different.

arvind welcome back. I ate 3 eggs before my Sunday "long" run and it was probably 20 minutes after I ate. I have previously had problems eating and doing hard runs which I STILL need to figure out.

elisabeth how is healing going?

SC How's post marathon life?

LumoRun is going out of business. The app is going to work for another 9 months. At least they aren't fulfilling any orders anymore. Looks like I'm back to running by pace/feel and focusing on race results (come on 3:07 or faster!) as feedback/support for training.

Back from camping and glad it's over. It's annoying when people take up an entire walking/running/hiking trail and do NOT move more than a step over for oncoming traffic (insert "go back home" rant here) or just check their brain out 30 minutes before their destination. It's equally annoying to try and find somewhere to run 5 miles BUT I understand campsites aren't designed around running. UPSIDE is I got to mix trails with road and learn why I like really knobby (deep lugged) trail shoes. Thankfully we came home before I needed my "17 miles or 120 minutes" run. I'd have gone INSANE trying to find that much space.

Took NeRP out for a spin with his Hot Wheels (red Bob stroller) Sunday morning. DW told me when I was eating (planning on running in 15 minutes to beat the heat) I'd be in charge of him and she was going back to bed. "uhhhh....I guess I could take him...right?" He did well and fell asleep about 53 minutes (around mile 6.25) in and slept until I was back home thanks to a loud car exhaust startling him (about mile 12). My fear was he wouldn't sleep and I'd be 45 minutes from home with no way of getting him to relax or calm down. DW says I got lucky. It turns out he was up for 45 minutes around 3:30 which is why she went back to sleep. It was interesting running that long with it and by the end I was pretty tired. I think my run form was about the same since it was mostly flat running paths. I was a little surprised I could keep the pace (8:15ish) for as long as I did. Miles 12 and 13 weren't fun (uphill) but I wasn't going to let myself quit the 2 hour run unless I was going to finish the 17 (workout says pick the lesser of the two) miles after dropping him off at home. DW says I got lucky with him. I'll take lucky any day. It was kind of nice having a water bottle holder and I can see why BOB strollers cost so much. With Summer heat (95-110F; 35-43C) here I'll need to get more morning runs in when 70 miles is on the calendar next week. Oh, and I applied for another job (chemist) and I'D REALLY like to get this one. It would remove my 30 minute commute and I'd be working in town. DW says I'd have to pick up/drop off NeRP daily. I told her she killed my dream of riding a bike to work (~9 miles each way) daily. I don't cycle or consider myself a cyclist.

90 days until Chicago (poop/chocolate ice cream emoji)

My Week:

Weekly Summary
          Monday, Jul 02, 2018 thru Sunday, Jul 08, 2018

<tfoot> </tfoot>
          Day Miles Pace Duration Description Link
          Mon 8.8 8:15 1:12 That time we correlated running to lab experience strava
          Tue 5.0 8:25 0:42 That time I think I fell asleep running strava
          Tue 6.5 7:51 0:51 That time I learned the hard way. strava
          Wed 13.5 8:46 1:58 That time I had to start early to get everything done. strava
          Thu 5.5 9:03 0:49 That time we don’t need to SHARE the walking path. strava
          Fri 4.8 8:22 0:39 That time I’m sure you know why I stopped. strava
          Sat 5.0 8:18 0:41 Morning Run strava
          Sun 14.3 8:25 2:00 That time we rollin’ they hatin’ strava
            63.19 9:31 10:44    

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

OMR

fb:  There's a big part of me that wants to do Templars regardless of max going, but another part that wonders if my legs won't be strong enough to keep from falling off a cliff.  However, it's still not entirely off the table at this point.

Brew:  Solid week.

Dew point dropped back down to reasonable (<65) for us, so I took advantage and did a few tempo-ish intervals this morning (4 x 4min @ T, 3min recoveries).  First harder run longer than strides post-surgery.  Knee felt good after yesterday's rest, average pace on the T portions was 6:54.  Lots of work to do...

ilanarama

Pace Prophet

max - The fire is tamped down to smolder now and the air quality up there should be okay.  However now there is a new problem - the much-awaited rains have caused mudslides on the passes, and at the moment Red Mountain Pass is closed.  I'm sure it will be reopened by race day, but I do wonder if the trails have been, uh, rearranged at all.  (Are you coming through here?)

OMR - I do the orthotics+Kinvaras thing, too.

Hmm, any advice?  My orthotics are getting ancient and worn out. Dare I just go with Superfeet or similar, or must I go buy new $$$$ custom orthotics?

Rune - it always seems like it's steps forward and steps back, good workouts and hard ones.  I'm hoping to do a workout outside tomorrow for the first time in a long time, and I'm kinda nervous.

Brew - impressive strollering pace!  And the NeRP photos on the BoF were adorbs (and I don't even like babies).

Well, last week went pretty well, I guess, with 35.5 running and 25.4 biking miles:

Monday: 4.7 easy outside, hot; 2.7 cycling to the dentist and back.  (Emergency appointment, I'd broken a temporary crown while camping on the weekend.)
              Tuesday: 3.4 biking to/from rec center where I ran 1 easy, 1 with strides, 2x(2 hard, 0.25 easy), 1.25 easy = 7.5 miles on TM. Hard was a little harder than last week, but my HR was really only barely in the MP zone. 
              Wednesday: Independence Day! For fun I joined the local Hash House Harriers for a "hash", which is a social run in which two "hares" with a five minute head start lay a trail using flour and chalk, and everyone else comes running after. False trails are left at intersections which must be checked out, and when the correct trail is found an arrow is left to mark for later runners. At several spots along the route there were bags of ice, beer, juice, and snacks, and we all stopped to drink and wait for the group to catch up. It was silly fun, I drank 2 beers, and as one part of the route involved running across the (shallow) river I got to cool off a bit, too. Total mileage was 4.7 at about a 16-minute aggregate pace, but I'm still counting it!
              Thursday: 7.5 very slow and easy outside, because STILL HOT
              Friday: 8.3 mountain biking
              Saturday: 11 miles with 30-sec surges beginning at M6, on the (hilly) Thirsty Thirteen race course as an out and back. I drove up to the course because it's a bit higher and southwest of here, and I was hoping it would be less smoky than town (which was not as bad as it had been, but was still smoky). It was still quite hot, though, and unfortunately there is pretty much no shade, so I was feeling pretty bad toward the end. 950' total vertical, sort of stupid slow toward the end even on the downhill.
              Sunday: 11 miles mountain biking with 1100' elevation gain. Went early enough that it didn't feel too hot at all.

And today I demonstrated to myself just how much of a difference the temperature makes.  It's rained a bit over the past few evenings, so I was able to get out at 8 instead of 10:30-11 or go to the rec center treadmill.  My outside runs last week were in the 9:50-10:30 range; today I averaged 9:23, which is pretty much what my easy pace was (at the same HR!) last July, just before I got injured.  So I guess that means I've finally recovered.  (Then I did 6x10 sec hill sprints, which again, I've missed doing them because it's been too hot.  Yay for running early!)

I'm hoping we'll get rain again this evening so I can run outside early tomorrow morning.

mattw4jc

DW says I'd have to pick up/drop off NeRP daily. I told her she killed my dream of riding a bike to work (~9 miles each way) daily. I don't cycle or consider myself a cyclist.

I know of a guy who sometimes bikes with kid to daycare, drops off kid, continues on to work. Or just wait until NeRP is taking the bus to school.

Arvind Balaraman

Awesome Week. What is your goal for Chicago.

90 days until Chicago (poop/chocolate ice cream emoji)

My Week:

Weekly Summary

Day Miles Pace Duration Description Link
                  Mon 8.8 8:15 1:12 That time we correlated running to lab experience strava
                  Tue 5.0 8:25 0:42 That time I think I fell asleep running strava
                  Tue 6.5 7:51 0:51 That time I learned the hard way. strava
                  Wed 13.5 8:46 1:58 That time I had to start early to get everything done. strava
                  Thu 5.5 9:03 0:49 That time we don’t need to SHARE the walking path. strava
                  Fri 4.8 8:22 0:39 That time I’m sure you know why I stopped. strava
                  Sat 5.0 8:18 0:41 Morning Run strava
                  Sun 14.3 8:25 2:00 That time we rollin’ they hatin’ strava
                  pepperjack

pie man

Wenesday night track meet was tonight for some reason,  So I went up there and did a few things.  First was (D look away) the 1600 which just don’t have the gear for that.  Maybe just under 5:40 with a bit of a positive split,  Had a coughing fit for about 20 minutes after and that’s a bit disconcerting.  Then it was an hour or so before the 2 mile (an actual 2 mile) which is always fun.  Felt comfortable and had a fast teammate as a pacer for the first 5 laps so I was close to 6 minute pace,  Tim took off and I think I lost a little but still managed a finish kick which is so rare.  12:22i think.  And then a fun 4x200 at the end where we were 2:01 which was pretty close to the winning 800 time.  Ha.

But the highlight of the night was trying to practice a steeple barrier and completely eating it,  I think I stuttered just slightly and it threw me off. Or the flats aren’t the right shoe which is good to know now,  it was even ladies’ height not the full 36 inches,  Ha.

11:11 3,000 (recent)

runethechamp

DW - You're up and running again - literally. Nice week!

fb - Nice consistency in your running! If you want to keep your mileage up it seems like it's smart to keep your pace down with the niggles you have. And thanks for the advice. I'm trying to make sure I don't push too hard, although sometimes it's hard when my pace seems too easy in the beginning, and then I try to hang on to that pace for the rest of the workout. I get plenty of time to practice my threshold pace this week too. And m-pace wasn't that enjoyable this weekend when I did a bike ride the day before.

Brew - Nice work getting your miles in less than ideal conditions. And 14 miles at m-pace this week for you . Although when I look at my program I see I have 12 coming in 2+ weeks so I definitely have something to look forward to.

Dad - Solid!

OMR - Sounds smart to step back a little bit at this stage when you feel worn down. You're getting there though.

Ilana - Good luck with your workout. I (think I) know the feeling, although I was off workouts after my race this spring for a much shorter time than you have been. Good to see your mileage getting better and good to hear about the rain!

PJ - Sounds like a fun track meet! I keep telling myself I should try to run a mile for time to see what I can do, but haven't been able to figure out the timing yet. And I'm not sure where I could or should fir it into my program these days.

I managed to reach my goal of 50 miles last week, but Sunday's run felt pretty hard after I accepted an invitation for a bike ride on Saturday. After 60 miles in the saddle I was knocked out and useless for the rest of the day (that bike ride is included in the table below). Sunday's run was not as bad as I thought it would be but my legs definitely felt tired towards the end of the m-pace segments. Judging by my HR I was very close to the same effort as during my marathon in March, just off by a beat or two at the end, and at a pace 12 seconds or so faster than the race, with 75 degree weather, sun, and strong winds. So right now that pace (7:30) is not quite sustainable for a full marathon, but I think it will get there soon. I try to target 7:25 pace for m-pace but didn't feel bad about letting it slip a little bit last week. On the calendar this week: two runs with substantial tempo segments so I see I better embrace that pace.

Weekly Summary

<tfoot> </tfoot>

Day Miles Pace Duration Description HR Egain Link
                      Mon 6.7 9:35 1:04 3 hilly with the dog and then some flat stuff with strides 126 (66%) 607 strava
                      Tue 5.5 8:27 0:46 Afternoon Run 129 (67%) 145 strava
                      Wed 6.3 9:08 0:57 Warmup 134 (70%) 134 strava
                      Wed 7.7 7:54 1:01 Independence Day Tempo 157 (82%) 180 strava
                      Thu 5.2 8:55 0:46 Lunch Run 127 (66%) 103 strava
                      Fri 4.2 10:43 0:44 Evening Run 120 (63%) 115 strava
                      Sat 62.4 4:06 4:16 Morning Ride 125 (65%) 4959 strava
                      Sun 15.0 8:13 2:03 EMEME 146 (76%) 370 strava
                        113.0 6:12 11:41     6613  

5k: 20:32 (1/17)  |  HM: 1:34:37 (2/18)  |  FM: 3:31:37 (3/18)

Getting back into it

Hmm, any advice?  My orthotics are getting ancient and worn out. Dare I just go with Superfeet or similar, or must I go buy new $$$$ custom orthotics?

Dr Scholl's custom fit

rune ~ I saw the 113 before I caught that the bike ride was included (still a substantial effort) and my jaw dropped!

PJ

fb-guy

OMR, Max -- I think you should just both come here for a fun run in the vineyards and some nice red wine. Really.

OMR -- great the your knee seems to be really solid. Maybe a little surprising to feel so good so fast?

Brew -- that's a really nice week. Nice pacing, a 13 and 14, good miles. Excellent. All that and camping and a Big Wheels. Good luck with the new gig -- cycling the kid and back and forward and getting to work and back; yep, that will work.

Semi-custom orthotics/Dr. Scholl's -- I'd like to know more.

PJ -- the track meet sounds like a blast. How did you fail the steeplechase hurtle -- face plant? water? Just curious.

Ilana -- thanks for the info on how the heat impacts your pace and effort; I'm trying to work it out here. Am I just going to hell, or does the heat have something to do with it?

m: 2:55:04 | 10k: 37:14 | 50mile: 9:35

rlk_117

Resident Millennial

Back from absence! aka Colorado. Ilana is #blessed to live there.

brew- yeah, i didn't realize how far morgan hill is. not sure i'll be schlepping there again for a 20min race! it was fun since all the teams came together and there was a nice park area to hang out and socialize after. also, they gave strawberries out after the race and apparently had too many, so somehow i walked away with a 1lb clamshell of organic strawberries. yum. the course was certainly not exciting, but i think in a 5k, i'm not looking for that. it was nice that we were super familiar with it after warmup, there were no surprises, the turns were easy to cut close, and i like when the finish line is in sight for awhile - makes for good kick "planning" (not that i really had one).

also, nice LR with NeRP!

OMR- the comeback is happening!!

mattw4/brew- agree - lots of good options for biking with a kid, especially when they're still light Smile

PJ- nice job at track!! ha ha, i have never tried a steeple.

fb- i only caught part of this discussion. are we talking about GMOs? that's a .... topic, all right.

rune- that is a solid ride, all right! it looks like you turned around at an arbitrary spot by San Pablo rez - BF attempted Three Bears loop awhile back and it was after a bunch of dumping rain and the road was completely washed out. Is it still and is that where you turned around? 
                            I can sympathize with how you felt- my ride looks similar to yours (though more straight up and then straight down, less constant rolling) and I was pretty trashed afterwards and cut my LR the next day down a bit!

Ilana- Re. orthotics, I was once told by a semi-pro steepler that I should ditch my custom orthotics since they are forcing my feet to be super cushioned/structured, and I should gradually phase them out and strengthen my arches. Not sure if there's any research behind that opinion, but I did as she recommended and found myself not really needing them. As dad said, maybe the Dr Scholls could be a good middle ground to transitioning away.

ran a 5k on july 4th - 20:15. decent - my first workout since april was a few days before the race, so this was off of just miles. got to run all of it side by side with a teammate who's in a similar position, so that made it more fun! here we are, pretending we have turnover:

also, flag shorts, of course.

Jim may notice that my teammate and I have just passed his nemesis (white singlet). I don't think I have done that before - at least not in short races - and this was around mile 1. It looked like he went out pretty fast for what he ended up running.

Just got back from CO - BF and I went to Boulder with my teammate and her BF, and then the two of us visited my dad for a couple of days. lots of outdoor fun had - trail running, high altitude road running, a legit bike ride with BF (my longest distance ascent ever - but not quite biggest vertical gain, apparently our local Mt Diablo is a bit more), kayaking down the CO river ("maybe we should go all the way to Arizona, then we can finally do R2R2R!"), hiking, eating a lot, etc etc.

Also, true story, the four of us went out for beers one night with a certain Boulder-based pro trail runner who people here know I am fond of, and his GF. This was facilitated due to the fact that my teammate is coached by SC's GF, and teammate had never met Sandi before. SC had a moment of worlds colliding when he saw me walk up. I successfully kept my cool and it was very casual and fun. SC is socially awkward (as we can all tell by his youtube channel....) but he is somehow still rather extroverted, and makes a point to ask questions and make conversation with everyone in the group.
                            Back to reality now!

mile, 5:26 /5k, 19:34 /10k, 41:00 /13.1, 1:31:49 /26.2, 3:12:58

rlk ~ Cool! You look fast in that pic.

fb ~ Not much to say. You step up on a machine that 'maps' your foot and it gives you the best match. I found them to provide sufficient support, and much cheaper, durable , and flexible.

Running Problem

Problem Child

Awesome Week. What is your goal for Chicago.

3:07Sad30) or faster.

rune Sunday wasn't M pace. M is closer to 7:17 for me starting Sunday. JD said to increase it during training from what I remember and programmed into the training runs I programmed into my Garmin.

rlk Yeah, easy course. I'm a little surprised at the strawberries since Morgan Hill is known for it's Garlic. Oh and it's only a 75-90 minute drive one way to get there. I mean....it's not THAT far...if you compare it to a long run.  I am assuming you went to Avery Brewing. No group photos?

ilana THANKS! I can sometimes get some funny ones with him. Glad you're getting back to where you were a year ago.

matt His first grade school, unless we move, is about 1.25 miles away. I might just have to pick him up with his bike a few days. Riding him to/from daycare MIGHT work if I could fit it in. I'll have to get the job first. It's a pipedream right now.

PJ The steeple jump is 3 feet tall?!?!! DAMN! I won't be doing that any time soon. Sweet mile run. I don't think I have the gear for a 5:40 at ALL.

Tomorrow is my BIL's birthday. Since he has never had a slurpee (7-11) I think he's going to get one. They don't have 7-11s in Alaska so now that he is "in America" he can celebrate. It's also supposed to be 97F at 5:00pm and 88F at 8:00pm. I'm supposed to be doing some 10K paced miles and I have no clue how I'm going to survive. I might give the first 3 mile workout a shot and see how I feel. I'd feel a little bad/self conscious about skipping a workout even if it's practically100F outside. Thursday isn't looking any better. Sunday is the first Marathon paced (8@7:14-7:20, 1E, 6@7:14-7:20) workout I'll be doing (early morning) and even that seems a little intimidating only because I haven't run that pace yet and my FIRST M paced run went horrible. I don't know if I'd be able to get the T miles in before work just due to time. It's about 2 hours of running.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22