2018 3:20 (and beyond) (Read 582 times)

pepperjack

pie man

If you're enjoying this i'll keep going?

Checking Kirui he won Chicago in 2016 with a significantly slower time, but looks like he was also wearing the shoes that year.  So maybe just in worse shape overall judging by a half time in 2016 (which looked to be a better weather year).  Rupp is the worst example out of the ones I listed, I think he'd have won the trials and possibly gotten the medal without an advantage the shoes may be giving him.  He's a generational talent, along with Shalane.  I was wondering how many non-US athletes were getting the shoes, a conspiracy nut could have a field day if they were mostly going to domestic folks.  They sure have milked Shalane's NYC win for every single drop they can playing that silly commercial every single break for televised track meets.

Honestly the LR explanation is that testing is working and it's evened things up.  But i'm just hoping it's not just that, cause that means pretty much everybody who was good, got that way artificially.

11:11 3,000 (recent)

oregonrw

A lot going on here.

I think the Vaporfly analysis is interesting, and I know people who run in them who swear they were the difference maker in their race. Maybe, maybe not. I think there is a psychological factor at work there, at least in part. I'm not doubting that the technology can make a (slight) difference, but I think people ascribe too much of their performance (and on the flip side, their injuries) to shoes. And while there have been some amazing American performances lately I think better training has probably accounted for at least some of that, particularly among the women. In the last few years there have been much stronger training groups in the US for women (Bowerman, the new-ish Hoka group, Molly Huddle's group in RI), and I think that's made a difference.  But who knows. I won't be trying them -- I'm still a big fan of the (apparently now retro) Adidas Adios.

I'm not sure I know anyone who runs a 3:07 full off a 1:30 half.

I've run a 1:32 half, but have never been even close to a 3:07 -- my fastest marathon is a 3:28.

Darkwave: Congrats on the back-to-back miles -- 20 minutes is a really quick turnaround.

Clever: My father has had frozen shoulder, which I think was the result of an injury that occurred while serving in tennis, and the cortisone shot helped a lot.  Hopefully that will be the case for you too.

PJ: Congrats on the new steeple PR!

rlk: So you have a team coach and a personal coach? How does that work if you have a team workout that differs from what your personal coach wants you to do? Seems weird about the mile repeats thing - I'd ask him.

Brewing: good luck getting in your workout Sat. I don't think it matters what week your mileage falls in, so long as it gets done and there are enough days between hard workouts.

Rune: Nice 1000s. What's your HM goal?

I'm working from home today, so will run 6ish at lunch. My week so far has been ok -- 6ish Monday, off Tuesday, 8 Wednesday, 10 yesterday.  I need to work in some speed this week, probably will do that on Saturday.

pepperjack

pie man

Cragg was with the Providence group with Huddle and Kim Smith previously and also Mammoth Lakes with Kastor's group before that.  She had a baseline marathon performance around 2:27 from 2011-2015 (underachieving times for sure).  She went to Bowerman before the 2016 trials and the result was the eye-poping race where she tugboated Shalene and then won.  She's followed it up with a World Championship Medal and a 5+ minute PR.  Better training is a possibility, as is performance enhancing.  But she also switched from Brooks to Nike.

oregonrw

But she also switched from Brooks to Nike.

And from Treacy to Schumacher.  I think the coaching change probably made a bigger difference than the shoes.

pepperjack

pie man

Is it all one or the other?  She can't have been helped by the coaching and the shoes both at some level?

Also, more responding to the theory that these groups are new and that's leading to unexpected results.

oregonrw

Is it all one or the other? 

No, and that's why I said a bigger difference and not the only difference. I'm not disputing that shoe technology has advanced and that's going to have some effect, but I'm not convinced that the shoes are THAT much better than what's already available. Like I said, I really have no idea -- that's just my speculation.

pepperjack

pie man

Well, while we were debating the women's Steeple record was just broken by 8 seconds.  So who knows about anything.

oregonrw

That was crazy -- 8 seconds!  And a new American record too, not set by Emma Coburn.

That'd be Courtney MF Frerichs from now on.

AceHarris

Was Max doing Hardrock 100? I thought he was, but don't see him on the live tracking.

Road Mile: 5:19 (2017), 5k: 17:09 (2021), 10k: 35:54 (2021), HM: 1:21:55 (2020), M: 2:53:18 (2021)

darkwave

Mother of Cats

That'd be Courtney MF Frerichs from now on.

What shoes was she wearing?

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

oregonrw

Things you learn when working from home and watching the Olympic channel:  European track meets have cheerleaders on the track! Literal cheerleaders, with pom poms!

What shoes was she wearing?

Umm, light blue?

Pics are too blurry; they are certainly Nike, but I can't even tell that.

pepperjack

pie man

If there were multiple studies that said the Bowerman babes recent success was due to shoes, I'd believe it at this point.

rlk_117

Resident Millennial

Things you learn when working from home and watching the Olympic channel:  European track meets have cheerleaders on the track! Literal cheerleaders, with pom poms!

right!!! bizarre, but then again look at those packed stands. track is their football, maybe? or almost? it's definitely way more important to europeans than it is to americans... -_-

max is doing something in Ouray soon, not sure exactly what. Hardrock (Silverton) is north of there. I'm sure what he's doing will be as freakish, if not more, as hardrock...

_________________________________________________
                                mile, 5:26 /5k, 19:34 /10k, 41:00 /13.1, 1:31:49 /26.2, 3:12:58