2018 3:20 (and beyond) (Read 582 times)

pepperjack

pie man

Max looks to be in the mid 50s, heading back on a little out-and-back.  Elevation 10,700 feet.  A little easier to interpret the tracker now.

11:11 3,000 (recent)

ilanarama

Pace Prophet

Smax is around mile 80 now, I think - his tracker has consistently given weird info but I've been finding him on the elevation graph.  Two more out-and-backs to go.

I miscalculated my run and ended up just short of 40mpw this week, darn.

DWave, I tried Chirps.  (BBQ).  They're kind of bland.  I was hoping for more BBQ flavor, or at least more saltiness.

Running Problem

Problem Child

87.39. Only a half marathon to go. I expect him to be done in 2 hours. It’s all downhill or flat at this point. My favorite (not really).

edit: at 4:06 PST he is at 99.3 miles in. So the race is on at this point if anyone remembers Tahoe 200.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

pepperjack

pie man

I had a farewell thing with some friends and everyone was asking about the fires.  The worst ones aren’t near Mendocino, but there are two to west of upper lake it appears.  The other position I was considering was Shasta/Trinity and that is the one with the bad fire.

max finished and is recovering, I assume.

11:11 3,000 (recent)

Running Problem

Problem Child

I had a farewell thing with some friends and everyone was asking about the fires.  The worst ones aren’t near Mendocino, but there are two to west of upper lake it appears.  The other position I was considering was Shasta/Trinity and that is the one with the bad fire.

max finished and is recovering, I assume.

I have family who lived in the area and nephews who grew up in the area. Lots of face page posts sharing people offering to help relocate large animals and trailers full of diapers.  It’s pretty crazy especially with the Santa Rosa one last year.

Max is alive. Possibly texting in his sleep.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

Go Max! I missed tracking after Friday, and unfortunately it doesn't look like results are posted yet.

Chirps - I snagged a variety pack a while back. I also think the flavors were too subtle, but good otherwise, though.

Speaking of crickets, this place was oddly slow over the weekend!

Another week in the books! This past Saturday was the first official long run of the local running club. It only meets actively to train for the two big marathon/half marathons in Oklahoma - OKC Memorial in the spring and Route 66 in the fall. I ended up starting the LR with a group of 6-8, all but one of which I hadn't really talked to before but have seen a lot at local races, group runs, and of course on Strava.

The group fragmented within the first 1.5 miles or so, leaving me running with the one person in the group I hadn't at least seen around before. It wasn't until a couple of sub-7:30 miles (<4:39/km) that our conversation revealed that she was a former 5000m/10000m/XC runner in college, so I felt a bit outclassed.
              We finished 10 miles, which was all she wanted to do, and after a bit of conversation with everyone who we had dropped (and some catching my breath) I went out for a very easy additional 2 miles. I originally planned on 15-16 miles (12 was actually on the plan), but figured "quality over quantity" would be ok here. The surface we were running on was similar to that of my goal race (paved river trail) and some of the later miles ended up around goal M pace. Upon later review power, pace, and even HR were pretty spot on with what I'd like to see during the marathon. HR was a bit high, but it was also pretty warm and humid, completely unlike what I should see at the race, so I'm fine with it.

A thunderstorm relegated me to the treadmill for an easy run this morning since I had no intention of running repetitions in little ovals surrounded by lightning and tall, metal light poles and I also had no desire to replicate that same workout on the treadmill.
              I do think I'll try the higher-mileage thing on workout days - we'll see how that goes. Thanks to everyone here to gave some input regarding that.

Weekly Summary
              Monday, Jul 23, 2018 thru Sunday, Jul 29, 2018

<tfoot> </tfoot>
              Day Miles Pace Description HR Link
              Mon 13.2 7:45 10x 200m R + 6x 400m R, = distance recovery 145 (74%) strava
              Tue 11.1 8:09 A raptor kind of morning. 2 owls, 6 hawks, but no F-22's 137 (70%) strava
              Wed 10.6 8:09 1 owl and several new roads 138 (70%) strava
              Thu 10.6 7:36 Daniels 2T + 2T + 1T. This was a rough one. 159 (81%) strava
              Thu 2.0 8:43 Super-easy tready to get the tempo run out of my legs 137 (70%) strava
              Fri 10.3 8:32 1 bobcat (that was a surprise for both of us) + 2 hawks 137 (70%) strava
              Sat 12.3 7:41 Landrunners wk 1. Only slightly speedy. Pick it up next time, Alex! 😛 153 (78%) strava
                70.1 7:59

5k: 17:58 11/22 â”‚ 10k: 37:55 9/21 â”‚ HM: 1:23:22 4/22 â”‚ M: 2:56:05 12/22

Upcoming Races:

OKC Memorial 5k - April 27

Bun Run 5k - May 4

Running Problem

Problem Child

keen: great job getting the 70 miles this week.

pj safe travels.

A local 11 year old just placed 5th (all american) at some track meet in Iowa today. If I raced he would smoke me. His dad ran sub 3 in April this year.

Self diagnosed food poisoning sucks. I think the hot dog I had at the concert made me sick since I didn't eat anything Friday and I'm still uncomfortable enough in the bathroom to make running more than a thought. I THOUGHT I'd be better on Sunday with how I felt Saturday but apparently not. Oh and the massive amount of smoke covering this place. ":Unhealthy for sensitive groups" combined with 100F temps and my stomach trying to kill whatever is inside me with acid makes my 12 M pace miles on Wednesday OH so exciting.

In case you're wondering how Redding air quality is here you go.

VDOT 53.37 

Arvind Balaraman

Killer Week CK

Weekly Summary

Day Miles Pace Description HR Link
                  Mon 13.2 7:45 10x 200m R + 6x 400m R, = distance recovery 145 (74%) strava
                  Tue 11.1 8:09 A raptor kind of morning. 2 owls, 6 hawks, but no F-22's 137 (70%) strava
                  Wed 10.6 8:09 1 owl and several new roads 138 (70%) strava
                  Thu 10.6 7:36 Daniels 2T + 2T + 1T. This was a rough one. 159 (81%) strava
                  Thu 2.0 8:43 Super-easy tready to get the tempo run out of my legs 137 (70%) strava
                  Fri 10.3 8:32 1 bobcat (that was a surprise for both of us) + 2 hawks 137 (70%) strava
                  Sat 12.3 7:41 Landrunners wk 1. Only slightly speedy. Pick it up next time, Alex! 😛 153 (78%) strava
                  runethechamp

Keen - Whoa, nice week! If you look at my weeks you will see that my workout days are significantly longer than the other days. Can't tell you yet how well it works though 

Brew - Food poisoning sucks big time. I got it once after a race, most probably because of the pre-cut fruit I ate after the race, and it was no fun at all. IT took me a few days to fully recover.

Max - Congrats on finishing a seriously long race! Looking forward to hearing more about it.

DW - Thanks, we got the medical issues all sorted out over the weekend, but it made for an interesting workout week for sure.

The fires up north in California are really scary. I can't imagine what it would be like to live through something like that 

I managed to reach my 50 mile goal for the week but it was not easy. Ran close to 11 easy miles on Saturday, and followed up with 2x6 miles at m-pace during my workout yesterday. Today all I want to do is take a nap as I'm super tired and sore all over. To prepare for my HM on Saturday my plan was to move Wednesday's workout to Tuesday, but I'm really not sure how that will work with only one easy day between two hard workout days. I will see how I feel tomorrow (and maybe check and see if JD has noted tomorrow's workout as one you can skip if you feel particularly tired).

Weekly Summary

<tfoot> </tfoot>
                    Day Miles Pace Duration Description HR Egain Link
                    Mon 6.0 10:03 1:00 Seattle is hot these days! 132 (69%) 410 strava
                    Tue 5.0 9:38 0:48 More forest, less sidewalk with Sam 128 (67%) 335 strava
                    Thu 11.4 7:54 1:30 Headlamp Tempo 146 (76%) 186 strava
                    Sat 10.8 8:32 1:32 Running towards the fog 138 (72%) 265 strava
                    Sun 17.0 8:00 2:16 M-pace galore 149 (78%) 368 strava
                      50.2 8:31 7:07     1564  

5k: 20:32 (1/17)  |  HM: 1:34:37 (2/18)  |  FM: 3:31:37 (3/18)

Getting back into it

Arvind Balaraman

Nice week Rune

Keen - Whoa, nice week! If you look at my weeks you will see that my workout days are significantly longer than the other days. Can't tell you yet how well it works though 

Brew - Food poisoning sucks big time. I got it once after a race, most probably because of the pre-cut fruit I ate after the race, and it was no fun at all. IT took me a few days to fully recover.

Max - Congrats on finishing a seriously long race! Looking forward to hearing more about it.

DW - Thanks, we got the medical issues all sorted out over the weekend, but it made for an interesting workout week for sure.

The fires up north in California are really scary. I can't imagine what it would be like to live through something like that 

I managed to reach my 50 mile goal for the week but it was not easy. Ran close to 11 easy miles on Saturday, and followed up with 2x6 miles at m-pace during my workout yesterday. Today all I want to do is take a nap as I'm super tired and sore all over. To prepare for my HM on Saturday my plan was to move Wednesday's workout to Tuesday, but I'm really not sure how that will work with only one easy day between two hard workout days. I will see how I feel tomorrow (and maybe check and see if JD has noted tomorrow's workout as one you can skip if you feel particularly tired).

Weekly Summary

Elizabeth78

Recovery Phenom

A Few Easy Miles to the Beginning or Ending of Workouts via Keen

I definitely think this is the best way to add mileage and NOT adding doubles. I like to maximize my recovery time so if I am doing doubles, then I'm really sacrificing recovery. But hard workouts are when it's supposed to be hard, so adding on mileage at the beginning or end would be better. In the summer, I would add it afterwards so you don't overheat before the hard stuff starts. In the winter, I would add it beforehand to get a nice warmup in. When I started working with my coach he gave me long workouts with at least 30 minutes of additional easy running and it worked really well. And then my easy days were truly short and easy by comparison.

Fun or Interesting Reads via AceHarris

Boston Bound by me!  It's not really fun, but hopefully it's interesting. Regarding Harry Potter, I read the first 5 as they came out and then stopped. And then, last year, I started reading them all again and now I am 1/3 of the way through book 7. I don't  have a lot of time to read so it's slow going.

Commander: Thanks for the perspective on the dirt trail. The marathon is otherwise "perfect" in terms of location, weather, and course profile so I am just going to go with it. Even it if slows me down a little, it's worth it to not have to train hard in August. And the options for December marathons are limited.

Brewing: UGH- that is really frustrating about the parking lot. I always leave concerts a little early to avoid that but man, I can't believe they held up traffic.

Rune: I've found that consistency is really the number one determining factor in making gains. So kudos to you. And it's awesome that your HR is lining up with your goals so early in the cycle.

Darkwave: I read your blog about timing the workout. Sounds like you had a good approach and it was fun.

Max: Cheering for you!!!  Hooray!!!

- - - - - - - -

Here is my week. I am now confident that I am "out of the woods". This illness, which I have had multiple times in the past, can trick you into thinking that you are all better and can resume normal life and running, and then a relapse happens. So you have to be super cautious coming back. When I ran the 5K as a training run last Sunday (not yesterday but a week ago Sunday) I felt confident that I wasn't going to relapse and that has held true! It's kind of boring not doing any speed work, and I think my coach will start prescribing that next week. So just one more week of boredom.

<tfoot> </tfoot>
                        Mon 3.0 9:31 Morning Run strava
                        Wed 4.2 9:03 No walking strava
                        Thu 4.5 8:51 A few strides at the end strava
                        Fri 4.6 8:44 Morning Run strava
                        Sat 6.8 8:53 “Long” run strava
                        Sun 3.3 8:59 Morning Run strava
                          26.4 8:58  

26.2 x 31 (3:15:34 PR)

13.1 x 35 (1:30:58 PR)

Author of the book Boston Bound

Running Problem

Problem Child

Weekly Summary

To make it worse the air got EVEN WORSE. It's now bad for all. Great time to have marathon training. Heat, the whole west coast is burning to the ground, and I can't even eat food from a concert. Nice week.

VDOT 53.37 

runethechamp

To make it worse the air got EVEN WORSE. It's now bad for all. Great time to have marathon training. Heat, the whole west coast is burning to the ground, and I can't even eat food from a concert. Nice week.

Ugh, I remember we got smoke from the Napa fires here last year and it was miserable. Still just an annoyance compared to those in the middle of it. I ended up using the air quality monitoring website actively to figure out when and where I should try to get my runs in.

Elizabeth - Good to see you are working your way back. And yes, the one thing I am workoing really hard with this cycle is making sure I stay consistent. I think my HR aligns well with my goal for the race this upcoming weekend, but based on yesterday's run I still have some work to do before the full marathon in October.

5k: 20:32 (1/17)  |  HM: 1:34:37 (2/18)  |  FM: 3:31:37 (3/18)

Getting back into it

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

Brew - Bummer about the food poisoning and the fires/smoke. Hopefully both clear up by Wednesday!

Rune - I should probably put this in sub-90, but I'm on this browser tab, so.... You've got a LONG way to go before October, so there's plenty of time for that work. Plus there's the weather differential between now and race day.
                              What's your goal again for this weekend?

5k: 17:58 11/22 â”‚ 10k: 37:55 9/21 â”‚ HM: 1:23:22 4/22 â”‚ M: 2:56:05 12/22

Upcoming Races:

OKC Memorial 5k - April 27

Bun Run 5k - May 4

oregonrw

18 weeks until CIM.  Training starts...soon.

Pepperjack: good luck on your move to the west coast!

Rune: Very nice week.  The MP pace miles that you're running -- are you using MP from current races or is that goal pace?

ilana; You didn't run the extra to get to 40? I am tempted to do that sometimes, as dumb as it is.

Keen: Nice week! And that's great you had company on your LR -- I agree, quality beats quantity sometimes.

Brewing: Sorry to hear about illness, smoke, and heat. We get smoke off and on depending on how close the fires are. It can be pretty bad.

Elizabeth: Glad your recovery is continuing!

I had a pretty brutal 5k on Saturday night. It was 90 degrees at the start, so I was not expecting much, but it was still slow even by my standards. 1:45 slower than my PR from a few years ago (though also 50 degrees warmer). I did win my age group, so it pays to be old. The race was at Nike so lots of fast people were around - Gwen Jorgenson and Kate Grace ran it, though I saw them at the turnaround and they weren't racing.

I think 9 total Saturday with the 5k (3.1 at 7:15 pace), 5 easy yesterday and 6 more this morning. According to Jack Daniels, 90 degrees adds 15-20 seconds per mile, so I'm going with that (but that doesn't explain the winner running a 14:30!)