2018 3:20 (and beyond) (Read 582 times)

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

SClever - Rain in Seattle? Say it ain't so! 

Hopefully the fire situation in CA gets under control quickly.

Good weather again for a tempo run (3mi + 2mi) this morning. I really struggled with my tempo last week (2x2mi + 1mi), so it felt great to not only do well but feel like I could have tacked on another mile or so. Next week will probably be back to our typical summer weather, though.

Two things are making unexpected comebacks at the office: pokemon go and nerf wars.

5k: 17:58 11/22 │ 10k: 37:55 9/21 │ HM: 1:23:22 4/22 │ M: 2:56:05 12/22

Upcoming Races:

OKC Memorial 5k - April 27

Bun Run 5k - May 4

pepperjack

pie man

I’m going to the barracks in willows instead.  Not sure what I’m going to be doing, the Ranch Fire is burning something like 75,000 acres.

11:11 3,000 (recent)

Running Problem

Problem Child

SClever - Rain in Seattle? Say it ain't so! 

Hopefully the fire situation in CA gets under control quickly.

Good weather again for a tempo run (3mi + 2mi) this morning. I really struggled with my tempo last week (2x2mi + 1mi), so it felt great to not only do well but feel like I could have tacked on another mile or so. Next week will probably be back to our typical summer weather, though.

Two things are making unexpected comebacks at the office: pokemon go and nerf wars.

Is the next one a 3T 2T 1T with 3min, 2min, 1min rest? It's a fun one if it is.

The weather hates me. 100F forcasted for Wednesday through Friday. 4x2 mile at threshold pace. FAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWKKK! 

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

OMR

Hey to everyone, hope all are well.  PJ, I can't imagine heading to northern CA right now.  FB, hope your Achilles is under control.  Brew, sorry the weather hates you...but I think it hates all of us right now.  As for the rest of you, I've tried to keep up on the reading, but haven't been contributing like a good forumite, so you all have my permission to just ignore the rest of this.  ;-)

I've been pretty absent for about a month, because running has been pretty absent.  Nearly four weeks ago, after my first "slightly faster run" and next day follow-up recovery jog, my calves just kind of seized up (more severely in the left than the right).  They both felt how my quads typically feel after a marathon.  Since then, I've been working on some gait issues, because I think I'm still compensating for the meniscus tear last December.  Made a few modifications, and ran a little over a mile today.

Curious to see how it feels tomorrow...

pepperjack

pie man

I'm in Nevada.  There are mountains everywhere.  I think there are, I can't see much.  Just haze.  Still kicks Ohio's butt all over the place.

75,000 is a fun piece of history.  It's at least double that now.

11:11 3,000 (recent)

Running Problem

Problem Child

I'm in Nevada.  There are mountains everywhere.  I think there are, I can't see much.  Just haze.  Still kicks Ohio's butt all over the place.

75,000 is a fun piece of history.  It's at least double that now.

Nevada IS the most mountainous state. It is going to get harder and harder to see those mountains. IF California could stop burning itself I'd appreciate it. Fergeson fire started this weekend and Yosemite is fully evacuated. Mendocino is also going to be hard to see anything and it's now the 5th largest in State history.

Gardnerville, NV Air Quality 403

Carson City 145

Reno 107

I could see ash on my run this morning. I can smell it sitting at my desk. My throat kind of hurts. I didn't plan on fires ruining training.

My week was lame. It might be similar this week. Marathon training sucks.

Oh and today is actually the first day I'm cutting out alcohol. I went back and forth many times. Kind of had a life change.

Weekly Summary
              Monday, Jul 30, 2018 thru Sunday, Aug 05, 2018

<tfoot> </tfoot>
              Day Miles Pace Description Link
              Thu 7.2 8:15 That time California can keep its Proposition 65 air strava
              Fri 7.5 7:56 That time I missed every single mile. strava
                14.7 8:06    

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

Brew - No, that same 3T + 2T repeats itself (and gets faster in 3 weeks). I might add in that extra mile into a workout before the pace increase if I feel up to it.
                It sucks that CA is messing with your training.
                Life change? Hopefully nothing serious. Does this mean you'll be getting a new username?

OMR - Welcome back. Good luck working out the gait issues.

Last week was pretty good for me, definitely helped out by some cooler weather. Things on that front are likely go to back to "normal" for this time of year for the current week.
                The family and I drove a few hours away to visit DW's grandmother Saturday, so the LR was pushed to Sunday. Ended up seeing more people than I thought I would around the lake, including the only other Daniels guy I know of in the general area. I ran most of my miles with him, and getting to talk training was pretty nice.
                DD3 woke up super-early this morning, so I pushed my workout to (hopefully) tomorrow to take her with me and let DW get some sleep. That failed since she couldn't get back to sleep and ended up making bows for our girls almost the entire time I was running. DD3, however, slept the entire time. Looking forward to that workout tomorrow. Until now all of my workouts have been single intensity - either Reps or Tempo. Now I get to mix the two!

Weekly Summary

<tfoot> </tfoot>
                Day Miles Pace Description HR Link
                Mon 11.2 8:03 In the garage watching the best display of lightning I've seen in a long time 124 (63%) strava
                Tue 16.2 7:49 Reps by moonlight. 14 x 200M R, 1E, 8x 400m R 141 (72%) strava
                Wed 7.5 8:54 Easy stroller miles with DD3. 132 (67%) strava
                Thu 16.4 7:46 Daniels' 3T + 2T 147 (75%) strava
                Fri 9.3 8:31 2 hawks & 1 unopened, dented can of "everything rhymes with orange" IPA in the road. 134 (68%) strava
                Sun 15.4 7:57 Miles with the other OKC Daniels nerd 146 (74%) strava
                  76.0 8:04      

Upcoming Races:

Bun Run 5k - May 4

Arvind Balaraman

Killer Week Keen

Weekly Summary

Day Miles Pace Description HR Link
                  Mon 11.2 8:03 In the garage watching the best display of lightning I've seen in a long time 124 (63%) strava
                  Tue 16.2 7:49 Reps by moonlight. 14 x 200M R, 1E, 8x 400m R 141 (72%) strava
                  Wed 7.5 8:54 Easy stroller miles with DD3. 132 (67%) strava
                  Thu 16.4 7:46 Daniels' 3T + 2T 147 (75%) strava
                  Fri 9.3 8:31 2 hawks & 1 unopened, dented can of "everything rhymes with orange" IPA in the road. 134 (68%) strava
                  Sun 15.4 7:57 Miles with the other OKC Daniels nerd 146 (74%) strava
                  Running Problem

Problem Child

keen possibly new user name. Figuring out what I'd want to sell off and what I'd want to "gift" my step-father. Apparently I've spent a good amount of money on brewing gear over the last few years. $80 here, $100 there, it starts to add up. It is interesting how you don't have teh 3T, 2T, 1T in the plan like the 56-70 MPW plan. I would have assumed the workouts were mostly the same. At least I got some miles in this morning.

Air quality currently 155. I'm not going out in that. When I can't see the mountains around me I'm going to call it unhealthy. If I run early in the morning I can't see anything anyways so it's obviously safer.

VDOT 53.37 

AceHarris

Brew: bummer on the stressful week. Hopefully this week is better.

Keen: I laughed at "the other Daniel's guy". Very nice week! Are you liking the longer workout days and the shorter rest days? Did DW make you a bow too?

OMR: Bummer about the calf. I hope you have a speedy recovery!

Finally replaced my 10+ year old headlamp. I could finally see on my morning run!! Loving the lumens!.

My Week:

5x1200 was supposed to be 4:35 and work down. Held steady at 4:34.

Long run went well. Averaged 8:10-8:15 for 14 miles then 4 at GMP or faster (6:49, 6:48, 6:41, 6:53)

<tfoot> </tfoot>
                      Date Distance Pace Comment  

Mon Jul 30 

8:35 

Keeping it EZ. Legs were tight and sore.  

strava 

Tue Jul 31 

8:36 

Warmup  

strava 

Tue Jul 31 

6:57 

5x1200, 1:00 rest 

strava 

Tue Jul 31 

8:48 

Cooldown  

strava 

Wed Aug 01 

8:15 

Sleepy 8 

strava 

Thu Aug 02 

8:11 

Up 

strava 

Thu Aug 02 

7:21 

12x200 w/ 200 jog rest (avg 39)

strava 

Thu Aug 02 

8:12 

CD 

strava 

Sat Aug 04 

7:57 

14 easy, 4 MP or faster, 0.5 recovery 

strava 

Sun Aug 05 

8:39 

Multi-purpose Stroller Run 

strava 
                      Summary:

8:05

Road Mile: 5:19 (2017), 5k: 17:09 (2021), 10k: 35:54 (2021), HM: 1:21:55 (2020), M: 2:53:18 (2021)

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

Brew - Good that you've finally gotten some miles. I can't imagine having that air quality (or lack thereof) around here.
                        I've thought the differences between your plan, Rune's, and mine have been interesting if nothing else. I also would have figured they'd be more the same. I'm not sure whether or not to consider the differences a good thing or not.

Ace - He literally is the only other person I know of in the OKC area who follows Daniels. When I first officially met the guy (rather than just Strava stalking each other) he brought it up since he recognized my workout titles on Strava.

Around here most people seem to make their own plans - usually based off the "get to the start line" level plan the local running club puts out - or they're super-fast, 80+ MPW people who tend to have a coaching service.
                        Nice week. What headlamp did you get? It's probably about time for me to break mine out in the mornings, but there's so little traffic that I haven't been bothered to yet.

I am really liking the longer workout days thing. The extra easy miles don't seem to make much of a difference in fatigue at all. I think that puts me at "risk" of running 16+ on workout days but then still getting 10+ on easy run days, especially once the weather cools down some. For some reason I'm envisioning 7-9 in the morning and 3-4 or so on lunch.

I did not get a bow, but I'm sure my girls would get a kick out of sharing theirs with me. On more than one occasion I've gone to the store with a bow in my hair, having forgotten it was there.

Upcoming Races:

Bun Run 5k - May 4

ilanarama

Pace Prophet

Brew - cutting out alcohol for good, or just for temporary?  Hopefully it's the good kind of life change.  When we had our fires the advice from the local health organization was that visibility under 5 miles = unhealthy air.

Speaking of unhealthy air, PJ, crossing my fingers for you (and, well, all the CA people).  What a disaster.

Ace - "Loving the lumens" - hee!

OMR - sad fistbump of solidarity.  I hope you get your gait issues figured out and can be out running again soon.

CK - yay for cooler weather!  Enjoy your multipace workouts.

I didn't mention that last week during my mountain biking I started feeling an ache where my sfx was last year.  It's been bothering me mostly after running/biking and at night - actually it aches most at night - but not during, so I'm thinking it's not a recurrence (hoping!) but just inflammation (I googled Osteitis Pubis and that actually sounds worse than a stress fracture, but it's not in the center of the pelvis, so I'm hoping it's not that!).  I've got an appointment tomorrow with the PT who helped me fix my back issues, so I'm hoping he can get my hip flexibility and mobility going again and fix this problem, but I'm a bit disheartened and down about the possibility of yet another injury.  Anyway, after biking 66 miles Monday-Thursday I ran 24.8 Friday-Sunday.  Today I am taking off because I'm trying to be smart and I hurt a lot overnight, but I'm not happy about it.

I did write up our Telluride bike trip if anyone wants to see crappy photos of smoky mountains (though not the Smoky Mountains).

Running Problem

Problem Child

ilana for good. I hope your PT goes well.

keen  Glad you and DD3 got some miles in. NeRP does the same "sleep for the majority of the run" thing so as long as he keeps doing that we can go out more. When he starts wanting to see things, or talk, we're going to have issues. LOL. Is the "Other Daniels" guy doing the 2Q? Oh and Strava titles are important. Your plan for 7-9 then 3-4 on lunch kind of mirrors what I did for a week, and my plan for tackeling 70 MPW. Morning miles in better weather means getting out the door by 4 (for me) then I can grab another 6 on lunch. It really didn't seem as hard as I thought. IF only the weather would let me do it now. I was even considering my Wednesday workout in the morning and showing up late to work just so I could get it in. Did the other Daniels guy mention training paces/distances for some of these workouts? I've considered switching 2T to 10 minutes like max said.

Air quality 225 (very unhealthy). Hopefully this means it's the fire being put out and we're getting hammered with smoke for just a day. Saturday was like that and Sunday was clear enough to run. Still nothing compared to the 400+ Colorado hit last year. What is the definition of "prolonged or heavy exertion"? Asking for a friend. The stupid thing is the air quality at home is only 108 (unhealthy for at risk people) so I could justify getting in lunch miles.

After last week, and this week's outlook, I might have to pull the treadmill into the house to get training in. NeRP would lose his kennel until the smoke clears. I'd need a conversion for T miles to MPH which shouldn't be too hard to find.

VDOT 53.37 

Arvind Balaraman

Wishing a speedy recovery

Brew - cutting out alcohol for good, or just for temporary?  Hopefully it's the good kind of life change.  When we had our fires the advice from the local health organization was that visibility under 5 miles = unhealthy air.

Speaking of unhealthy air, PJ, crossing my fingers for you (and, well, all the CA people).  What a disaster.

Ace - "Loving the lumens" - hee!

OMR - sad fistbump of solidarity.  I hope you get your gait issues figured out and can be out running again soon.

CK - yay for cooler weather!  Enjoy your multipace workouts.

I didn't mention that last week during my mountain biking I started feeling an ache where my sfx was last year.  It's been bothering me mostly after running/biking and at night - actually it aches most at night - but not during, so I'm thinking it's not a recurrence (hoping!) but just inflammation (I googled Osteitis Pubis and that actually sounds worse than a stress fracture, but it's not in the center of the pelvis, so I'm hoping it's not that!).  I've got an appointment tomorrow with the PT who helped me fix my back issues, so I'm hoping he can get my hip flexibility and mobility going again and fix this problem, but I'm a bit disheartened and down about the possibility of yet another injury.  Anyway, after biking 66 miles Monday-Thursday I ran 24.8 Friday-Sunday.  Today I am taking off because I'm trying to be smart and I hurt a lot overnight, but I'm not happy about it.

I did write up our Telluride bike trip if anyone wants to see crappy photos of smoky mountains (though not the Smoky Mountains).

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

Ilana - Hopefully the appointment with the PT goes well. Odd that it aches most at night but not during activity.

Brew - Right now the Other Daniels Guy, hereafter known as "ODG", is base building before starting to train for CIM. I think he's going to do 2Q. The fast guy from my town as well as the local ~2:20-2:30 guys are also all running CIM.
                                Outside of throwing the training alphabet around (T, M, E, I, R) we didn't talk paces. He did mention miles instead of minutes for T workouts. I'm also considering switching to minutes instead of miles, but I'm thinking of doing that based on weather. If it's really hot/humid I can easily/quickly edit the workout on my watch from the Garmin app to be for minutes instead of miles, otherwise I may leave the miles since the workout volume is still in line with Daniels' recommendations compared to my weekly volume.

If you have the book there's a pace to MPH converter in the section on treadmill training. For me a given pace on the treadmill is always easier than the same pace on flat land, unless I turn the incline up to ~2%. Workouts that aren't R don't seem too bad on a treadmill to me.

Arvind - Thanks!

Upcoming Races:

Bun Run 5k - May 4