2018 3:20 (and beyond) (Read 582 times)

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Had one of those workouts this morning where I felt I finally got over another training hump.

3 x 2 mile with 3:00 rest, progressing pace each rep. According to my garmin, times were. These were done on a track. Really felt pretty smooth and controlled.

6:25/6:17

6:13/6:00

5:59/5:50

Shouldn't you be over with us in the Sub 3 forum if you're running these paces?

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

AceHarris

Jmac: Hopefully I'll join the sub-3 club one day soon, but the sub-3:20 group are the best imaginary friends I've got.

Road Mile: 5:19 (2017), 5k: 17:09 (2021), 10k: 35:54 (2021), HM: 1:21:55 (2020), M: 2:53:18 (2021)

Running Problem

Problem Child

Shouldn't you be over with us in the Sub 3 forum if you're running these paces?

HEY! Don't you steal our members.

Burning man Rule #4. Buying stuff in town this week means ZERO possibility of returning it. Even if it legitamely breaks and you didn't attend. I still don't understand the people who attend this...mostly the 50% that are brand new each year.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Jmac: Hopefully I'll join the sub-3 club one day soon, but the sub-3:20 group are the best imaginary friends I've got.

I feel this way about many people on these forums. I've said it before, but I'll say it again: we may have never met each other, but this is a tight-knit community.

You 3:20 folk have so many members, you can afford to lose a couple over to the sub 3 forum 

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

Speed Surplus

Had one of those workouts this morning where I felt I finally got over another training hump.

3 x 2 mile with 3:00 rest, progressing pace each rep. According to my garmin, times were. These were done on a track. Really felt pretty smooth and controlled.

6:25/6:17

6:13/6:00

5:59/5:50

Wow! I'll say that's a new level.

5:27 / 18:49 / 40:32 / 88:12 / 3:12

Running Problem

Problem Child

keen email you coach about a workout. 2E + 8M + 2 X (2T, 2 MIN E) + 2E and ask them if it's correct. Seriously...marathon paced miles then pretty much10K effort? TWICE?!!?!

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

Ace - Awesome workout!

JMac - No fair poaching our step-up-from-imaginary friends!

Brew - Any chance you could snag me a decent bike when Burning Man is through? Surely at least one in the stack they'll leave will be worth something.
                I hate to break it to you, but that workout is probably real! I have one similar: 1E, 10M, 2T + strides after. I'm probably going to miss what I would consider the capstone workout of this plan (it's scheduled for the same day as my tune-up HM): 1E, 5M, 1T, 4M, 2E - with the note "nonstop". This after the second VDOT bump, mind you. Maybe I'll try that one the weekend after. "Maybe".

The last part of the renovations to the local track has now been completed: the gates are up on the new outer fences. And they stay locked until ~7AM, well after when I'd need to be on the track (the gates for the interior fences immediately around the track are open, though). I'm beseeching the athletic directors to let me get in early, otherwise I may have to activate Solid Snake mode a couple times a week...

5k: 17:58 11/22 │ 10k: 37:55 9/21 │ HM: 1:23:22 4/22 │ M: 2:56:05 12/22

Upcoming Races:

OKC Memorial 5k - April 27

Bun Run 5k - May 4

OMR

Ace:  Wow, that’s an impressive workout.

For the first time while riding my bike this afternoon, I saw someone on an ElliptiGo.  First thing that came to mind was, “Hey, it’s Dad4JCZ!”

Running Problem

Problem Child

Brew - Any chance you could snag me a decent bike when Burning Man is through? Surely at least one in the stack they'll leave will be worth something.
                    I hate to break it to you, but that workout is probably real! I have one similar: 1E, 10M, 2T + strides after. I'm probably going to miss what I would consider the capstone workout of this plan (it's scheduled for the same day as my tune-up HM): 1E, 5M, 1T, 4M, 2E - with the note "nonstop". This after the second VDOT bump, mind you. Maybe I'll try that one the weekend after. "Maybe".

HA! They (burners) just leave them outside the Playa and a local bike shop takes the ones they can. There is a TON of clean up after Burning Man. It (BM) is pretty much a joke, to me, at this point and it's more about partying in the desert than anything. There might be a bike worth SOMETHING but I'm sure Craigslist has better offerings. Most of them are cruiser bikes used for a week that people want for free then ditch like it's a LimeBike and go back to traveling by vehicles for another 51 weeks. It's a little interesting, and a little annoying, to see local stores cater to burners. Stuff is moved from it's "normal" location to make it easier to access if you're unfamiliar with the store (costco, home depot, lowes, trader joes, Blockbuster, etc.) which means I tried to get as much as I could for groceries last weekend. I think the Playa opens Wednesday next week. This week is all the artists putting together their work like the 747 (I think) that's coming this year. I'd still like to see the art work but going into the desert with a wind storm and fresh alkali dust flying through the air isn't my thing.

thanks for the input on the workout. It already sounds like it sucks. I'm probably going to die. Marathon training sucks. The 5M 1T 4M sounds interesting...maybe easier. I'm still not understanding the point though.

VDOT 53.37 

Ace - jeez-oh-pete that's fast. I'd run a short race soon (just to be sure to cash in on that fitness).

You should cross post in the sub3.  Of course no one really cares how fast or slow you are... it's the attitude and participation that counts.

Yes... Where IS dad lately?

Ilana - smart to pull the plug on that 1/2M

seattlemax

Duke Of Bad Judgment

JMac: I think there's an option to upgrade your RunningAhead account so you can hang out with us instead of your smaller group.  Instead of enticing the occasional success story here over towards the dark side, you could hang with the smugly mediocre right here.

Ilana: So sorry to hear that you are having issues again.  It's good to... cough cough... play it ... cough cough ... safe though with injuries.

Brew: Have you been to Burning Man?  I haven't been able to figure that out - you have lots of opinion about it but then most of us like to talk on things we don't know 'bout.

Daniels M+T+M runs:  I've tried those.  Maybe even succeeded one back when I was an older younger masters runner.

Dakota Jones/Pike Peak: He was at the start of Ouray, talking to Sarah Lavender Smith (Trail Runner writer) when I introduced myself to her.  He looked familiar, and I almost accused him of being Dylan Bowman but thankfully I figured out who he was before I said hi.

PJ: What are you looking for in/near Chico?  Besides beer I mean.  Uh, professionally.

Rovatti: Optimism, while often misguided in my case, is free.  It's good to have that.

OMR: Congrats on your ultra run.

Ace: Kickass workout.  And congratulations to you on being actively recruited to a different thread.  And kudos to you for being wise enough to stick with what's working instead.

I got this one done quickly this time, because it's a little shorter than usual:  Squamish 50/50

Running Problem

Problem Child

max I have not been to the urn. I only see the before and after. I have talked to experienced burners who say it has changed. I also have found out people I didn’t think would go actually go. It’s a 10 day camping trip so I can see why someshow up later and leave early. I think the bad apples (here to trash the place l, party, and look for attention while shopping) can spoil it for the majority. I’ll leave out my opinions of the anti-corporate crowd I’ve encountered, or the ‘I’m renting the oldest (cheapest) RG I could find for a weekend and it’s polluting because it’s so old but I don’t care this week’ groups. With that said I still would like a day pass or something to see the artwork and sculptures people make. The alkali dust and wind storms I’ll pass on. I might even do the ultra out there if I got in. I just don’t have $400+ for one ticket plus parking pass to camp with like minded people. It’s why I’ve never had my own camping site at a NASCAR race over Halloween. Way too expensive and loud for my camping tastes.

its similar to the MTM, or the whole JD2Q training plan, which I’ve never experienced and have formulated an opinion on. I think trail running might be easier though.  It’s usually old people out there.

oh, and who needs to actually BE there? They live stream it thanks to millennials. Plus this. It's just like watching NASCAR from the comfort of my climate controled couch (CCC).

VDOT 53.37 

oregonrw

Hey all -- question for those who are doing/have done California International Marathon.  What hotel do you recommend?  Dumb me did not book a hotel, not realizing that other marathons besides that one in Massachusetts might also attract large numbers of people who book hotel rooms, and now it looks like plenty are sold out.  Especially the ones that are close to the expo.  CIM apparently has a deferral program this time around, so it's possible that some hotel rooms will open up when the deferral period closes in November.  So I'll keep an eye out for those, but in the meantime -- any suggestions?

Ace: Wow, great workout. I agree with whoever said go ahead and do a short race, just to see where you are and for the fun of it.

Clever: Good luck with HtC this weekend.  The smoke is supposed to clear out and the weather looks perfect for it.

Keen: Hope the AD lets you into the track -- snake mode sounds potentially injury-inducing.

We still have smoke problems, but as mentioned, it's supposed to get better tomorrow.  It's been pretty awful, though I think Seattle is worse (ours is better than Seattle, worse than Jakarta, which can't be good).  I've been doing a bit more treadmill running than I'd like, but at least it's getting done and I'm not totally scorching my lungs (I hope).  Training is going fine, nothing exciting, just moving along. I need to find a half sometime in Oct-Nov around here I think.

Running Problem

Problem Child

oregon: Since I'm bored at work and afraid of my workout later today....

I have stayed at the host hotel. Nothing really special. They didn't even have a mini fridge for me to keep food in and DW was slightly upset with the half marathoners waking everyone up on our floor as if they're the ONLY people in the hotel. I also stayed at the Holiday Inn just south of the expo/finish line. It is older and you have to pay extra for a late check out, but parking is in the parking structure next door, and it's not too far from the finish line when you're done. It also serves as the host hotel for the blind athletes (Jim knows one of them). The bus stop is just around the corner as well. The walk back, while slow (second marathon), wasn't bad and I was able to soak in the tub (sleep) for a while until I had to check out. I was fast enough in 2016 to not need a late checkout AND there was a cool bar/meet up area walking distance from the hotel we went to.

I had a friend stay near the start and he said there was a shuttle to take him back to the start. We live East of Sacramento so it made his trip home easier. You might be able to call them and ask how the shuttle back to the hotel works and see if it works with getting home any better. I believe they offer a complimentary checkout. The starting line is just about where Folsom Prison is (you can't see it ) on Folsom Auburn road.

Another suggestion, make plans for dinner NOW. It gets busy. I actually made this mistake the first year, but fortunately my wife has family in the area we met for dinner in Natomas. I told runners from my hometown to do the same thing. If you think you'll show up for dinner the night of you'll be eating around 10:00pm which reminds me...i need dinner reservations for Chicago!!!!!

VDOT 53.37 

pepperjack

pie man

Max - Chico is ‘civilization,’ although I’m sitting in a Starbucks in Willows so maybe I’m wrong,  Sac isn’t that far but I haven’t made it quite there yet (stopped in woodlands in the del taco and saw the ‘historic’ part of town).

found a site today walking our transects,  prehistoric this time.  Pestles, flaked stone,  other stone tools.  Could be thousands of years old.  This is my third week!

i brought clothes, but I’m not going to run.  Weird.

11:11 3,000 (recent)