2018 3:20 (and beyond) (Read 582 times)

OMR

Ace:  70/70...ugh, that sounds awful.  Good luck!

AceHarris

Today was tough, but not all bad.

The short of it: legs felt okay, stomach was a mess, didn’t push mentally. Conditions were tough. Essentially a 13 mile hill workout.

1:28:13, 8th OA.

Road Mile: 5:19 (2017), 5k: 17:09 (2021), 10k: 35:54 (2021), HM: 1:21:55 (2020), M: 2:53:18 (2021)

OMR

Congrats, that's a great run in those conditions.

darkwave

Mother of Cats

Ace - it's just impossible to run to your potential in those conditions.  IIRC, the course was hilly as well?  My theory is that hills and humidity compound - hills tempt you to overreach a bit on the uphill, and then you can't recover from that overreach because of the humidity.

Turning back to your question about why I did an up-tempo mile yesterday?  My last workout was on Tuesday, and I'm racing on Sunday.  For me, that's too long of a gap between fast running efforts, so we sneak in a mile uptempo two days before the race.  The point is not to develop fitness, but just to keep stuff primed without incurring fatigue.

5 miles very easy (8:51).  Gonna do some DIY yoga later today before hitting bed very early.  I have a 3:10 am train tomorrow morning to NYC (arrive at 6:40 am, my heat goes off at 9:10 am).

Edit: RLK - thanks for the tip about the timing clocks.  Since they have a separate heat for women 40-49, I do intend to start at the front.  But I'm most likely going to ignore the clocks anyway - they won't give me any useful information.

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

Keen - Belated congrats on your sub19 SK!

rlk - excellent corporate challenge pace. (I've done several of those....  They used to do 3.2 miles, then changed to 3.5 miles... strange)

Ace - nice time in tough conditions (or any conditions for that matter...).  I'm sure you could go well below 1:25 on a good day.

DW - cool weather with a possible slight tailwind tomorrow.  I'm going to try get there.

OMR - nice week

McB - long time!  Have you been training?

oregonrw - (speaking of oregon...) You've got to see "Wild Wild Country" (a documentary on Netflix about a cult in Oregon) ... the best thing I've ever seen!

Were are FB and Dad lately?

Hey to everybody!

pepperjack

pie man

I’m in Sac.  I thought I’d be able to find a group run in the morning, but there seems to be a 10 miler that overrules all those things.  I mean, I’d love to do a 10 miler but it’s not happening this weekend.  So might just solo along the river.

i did find a flat road up where I’m staying which I didn’t think existed,  so I might get more runs in up there.

Also, talked too much trash about heat and elevation and got burned by possibly both on Monday.  The ridge was pretty exposed and I gattaca’d a bit too much and was just drained.  I sat under the shade of the only tree for about a mile in either direction for like 2 hours, even fell asleep for a while.  Then slowly made my way back over the next couple of hours (was 4-5 miles from where I’m staying).  I was out all day and really needed water and to cool down.  Don’t think I was totally back to normal until Friday, but I got through work ok.  Have done crazier stuff since getting here so I am a bit confused by it all.

11:11 3,000 (recent)

Running Problem

Problem Child

Pj I would check out fleet feet and see what they have planned. Honestly I’d be shocked if they weren’t having a group run at all.

I ran a PR. It is easy to PR a distance when you’ve never race it. I guess rlk’s coach is correct...runners cannot run the mile at anything other than race pace and/or effort.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

pepperjack

pie man

Fleet feet says buffalo stampede all day on their calendar.

rlk_117

Resident Millennial

brew hahaha

PJ- try SRA or i think buffalo chips.

mile, 5:26 /5k, 19:34 /10k, 41:00 /13.1, 1:31:49 /26.2, 3:12:58

pepperjack

pie man

“the Buffalo Stampede ...is one of the five events the Buffalo Chips Running Club sponsors each year”

i mean, I appreciate the ideas, but there’s a nice website that lists all the running groups in town and I clicked on most (I figured moms on the run and bgr aren’t quite for me) and they don’t have Sunday runs or are preempted by this thing.  Which is also pretty cool that it exists.

ilanarama

Pace Prophet

Congratulations Ace and rlk!

I ran 9.2 miles this week! *dancing banana*

DW cruised down 5th ave today in ~5:3x and looked smooth down the stretch.

Congrats!!!

darkwave

Mother of Cats

DW cruised down 5th ave today in ~5:3x and looked smooth down the stretch.

Congrats!!!

Was great to see you!

On train back to DC now.  Race report is here:wellimtryingtorun.blogspot.com/2018/09/race-report-fifth-avenue-mile-s

Posted it from my phone, so anything weird on it is probably autocorrect fail.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

darkwave

Mother of Cats

Also, I'll be efficient and post my week from the train:

49 miles running, 18 "miles pool-running, and some other stuff.

M: upper body weights, core, and 9 "miles" of pool-running.

T: 10 miles.  2.5 warm-up (9:22), then 400/800/1200/1200/800/400 in 1:38, 3:04, 4:35, 4:29, 2:53, 83.  3 cool down (9:42). Also leg strengthwork and recovery swimming.

W:  7 miles very easy to yoga (9:27), yoga, and then 5 very easy (8:52) plus drill and strides.

Th: upper body weights, core, and 9 "miles" pool-running.

F: 9 miles, including one mile up-tempo (6:18) and light injury prevention work.

Sa: 5 miles very easy (8:48) and DIY yoga.

Su: 3.5 warm-up,  mile in 5:36, half mile jog back to gym.  Later, changed shoes and did 8 very easy (9:02)

Speaking of speedy women in the 5th ave mile today...

6 women in the 50-59yo group ran AG% over 90.

I've never seen that much depth.