2018 3:20 (and beyond) (Read 582 times)

fb-guy

m: 2:55:04 | 10k: 37:14 | 50mile: 9:35

My week:  I said goodbye to my PT and did a club workout (my 1st workout since January):

M: 1h XT

T: 9 with hilly tempo 2x5K @ 7:30

W: 1h XT

Th: 1h XT

F: 4 easy

S: 6 easy

S 9 easy

total = 28

Tuesday's tempo was telling: 7:30 is my tempo pace (oooof), and I had soreness in the knees for the rest of the week (not used to the pounding).   A good week, nevertheless.

Running Problem

Problem Child

brew- not a ton of difference between those. if it were me i'd go with option A. more confidence with a few more miles at M pace, and 2 additional miles at that pace shouldn't stress you too much with a month out. also, wait, if M pace isn't marathon (goal) pace, what is it?

It's been 10 seconds slower. It's something I held on to after Hanson's training with the approach you don't touch ACTUAL pace until race day. JD said I should have been doing actual M (and corresponding R, I, and T) pace starting 2 weeks ago. Oh and it's 3 weeks out. .

Since Chicago has zero reliability, from my understanding, on GPS I'm leaning towards the 8M for the practice and confidence. Since elevation is a thing I can't change I'll deal with it and MAYBE it helps me more. As dwave said...race conditions and everything. I wish I had two pacers at different speeds to see how it goes. I still haven't decided if I'm going to hold back with 3:10 or charge it with 3:05.

2:01:39. I wonder what was in his bottles and if I could get some of it.

dwave taper starts this week. 56 for the next two weeks then about 40 leading in to the race which might be lower due to travel.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

Running Problem

Problem Child

No word on max having finished or not. No live tracking, I don't know if he took the SPOT tracker, and results aren't posted yet.

My Week:

Honestly unsure what to make of it. MY mile time makes me feel like it's possible. Missing one workout because the weather sucks was already hard enough. Today's workout became unsustainable for the second time (first was the initial attempt at week 1) but it's possible due to the wind picking up which doesn't help trying to keep PR pace for 14 miles. When I was about 15 seconds behind goal pace I pulled the plug. I didn't feel like suffering through another 4 miles to say I put in marathon effort. I drank full strengthe Gatorade Endurance every 22-23 minutes and a Gatorade vanilla gel every 45. I think this might have been too much sugar and I am leaning towards switching to GU because I can't remember a time I've had a problem with them. I'll need to buy enough to travel with prior to race day. I think alternating water and gatorade may have helped keep the stomach in check as well. The slog home was unenjoyable.

Technically the week is 58 because JD puts Sunday at the start (18.25 miles)  and Strava apparently doesn't have my 7.73 mile run on Monday.

Weekly Summary
          Monday, Sep 03, 2018 thru Sunday, Sep 09, 2018

<tfoot> </tfoot>
          Day Miles Pace Description Link
          Tue 7.1 8:14 That time we are going to have a good week. strava
          Wed 14.6 9:06 That time those kids have no idea how true that song is strava
          Fri 7.0 9:02 That time it’s either long or hard strava
          Sat 1.0 8:41 Morning Run strava
          Sat 1.0 5:38 That time I beat an All American. strava
          Sun 17.5 8:27 That time the road goes on forever but the party never ends. strava
          Sun 0.8 8:52 That time I didn’t win anything. strava
            49.0 8:38    

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

fb-guy

Time to start doing more sit-ups.

m: 2:55:04 | 10k: 37:14 | 50mile: 9:35

Speed Surplus

Kipchoge

5:27 / 18:49 / 40:32 / 88:12 / 3:12

Speed Surplus

Oh, I guess I should post my week. Just registered for Bangaladesh so I may need to get serious about training soon. About half of this is cycling - the pace is usually the giveaway.

<tfoot> </tfoot>
                Day Miles Pace Duration Description HR Egain Link
                Mon 18.4 4:11 1:17 How is there always a headwind on the bridge?! 138 (75%) 1014 strava
                Tue 6.0 8:21 0:50 Buncha Nintendo loops 141 (77%) 144 strava
                Wed 18.6 3:41 1:08 Much faster going this direction 142 (77%) 791 strava
                Thu 9.2 4:10 0:38 Other version of morning commute test. This one's better 135 (73%) 349 strava
                Thu 3.6 8:27 0:30 EZ run coming of EZ am partial bike commute 139 (76%) 0 strava
                Fri 6.4 8:16 0:53 Perfect running weather today 143 (78%) 220 strava
                Sat 1.1 8:24 0:09 WU 129 (70%) 0 strava
                Sat 2.1 8:29 0:17 6x400 w/ ~1:15 rests. 85.8, 83.7, 84.8, 85.2, 85.6, 84.0 124 (67%) 0 strava
                Sat 1.1 9:57 0:11 Sluggish CD 136 (74%) 90 strava
                  66.5 5:21 5:56     2608

Running Problem

Problem Child

Oh, I guess I should post my week. Just registered for Bangaladesh so I may need to get serious about training soon. About half of this is cycling - the pace is usually the giveaway.

PFF....I'd fun run Bangaladesh if you're in. Maybe even use it as a supported long run for an ultra marathon. IF I'm in I'll coast it with you.

VDOT 53.37 

Pesto

Hello everyone!!!! It’s been quite a while. Just wanted to drop

by to say hi to  everyone. I’ve seen what many of you are up to on strava, but life has gotten in the way of visiting this lovely forum more often.

Also wanted to say two things:

- i registered for Botswana! So I may see some of you next year.

- wow Kipchoge!

I do apologize for disappearing so abruptly. I can’t promise anything but I’ll try to drop by more often, at least to say hi even if I can’t really contribute much. Hope y’all are doing great!

5K - 18:03 (5.18) | 10K - 37:58 (2.18) | HM - 1:20:45 (9.18) | FM: 2:57:59 (10.18)

Katia77

Made it almost half a mile today.

Anyone else hesitant to seek medical help for injuries because you know the answer will be to visit a physical therapist eight times per week at a cost of several hundred dollars? Just me?

Was totally guilty of this. Had 2 visits with a PT, one with a chiro. He wants to try dry needling but wanted to wait until 1) i've run again and 2) I was further out of the first trimester.

With the PT, as seems to be the trend, a huge problem is obvious weak glutes. What else would it be?  I had a small pregnancy issue that caused the OB to tell me to take some time off running but today she said I could see how it goes, so I think I'll do that later this week, air-quality permitting Smile.

Good to see some of the injured crew getting back out there!

PRs: HM: 1:32:59 (2015); FM: 3:18:36 (2017)

darkwave

Mother of Cats

Great to see some appearances by recent absentees!  Hi - y'all!

Amazing solo time trial to a world record - just amazing.  My friends who ran Berlin this year said it was actually a bit warm and sunny this year - not ideal - though they were out there at least 43 minutes longer than he was (one of my teammates got her OTQ!!!!).

Oregon - pleasantly surprised to learn you know Chemlab!  Concert was good, but I'm still hurting.,

My week:  59 miles and 18 "miles" pool-running.

M: yoga and 7 "miles" of pool-running.

T: 5 miles very easy to gym (9:40), upper body weights/core, and then 4 miles very easy home (9:02) plus drills/strides
                        W: 12 miles, including 16x400 at 10K pace (6:17) with 100m float recoveries averaging 34 seconds (too slow).  Also injury prevention work and recovery swimming.
                        Th: upper body weights/core and 10 "miles" of pool-running.
                        F: 6 miles easy to yoga (9:02), yoga, and then 5.5 miles very easy (9:05) plus drills/strides

Sa: 16 miles progressive, split as first 4 at 9:06, next 6 at 7:46, last 6 at 6:59.  Also injury prevention work and recovery swimming.

Su: 10.5 miles very easy (9:21)

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

Speed Surplus

PFF....I'd fun run Bangaladesh if you're in. Maybe even use it as a supported long run for an ultra marathon. IF I'm in I'll coast it with you.

Can you still qualify for Bangaladesh 2019 at Chicago 2018? I know it's coming up in a few weeks, right?

Running Problem

Problem Child

4/20/20. I think the window closes this week or next for 2019. If I believe what is online my ‘getting in’ time will be pushing BQ-5 minutes. People have already discussed 2021 (125th running) being even MORE popular.

Can you still qualify for Bangaladesh 2019 at Chicago 2018? I know it's coming up in a few weeks, right?

VDOT 53.37 

Strict WTF adherent

Only if registration is still open, which it won't be.

So the answer seems to be buns of steel.

Let me see if I can dig up a VHS player.

My week:

Mon - 4 easy

Tues - Weights

Wed - 4.5 easy and 2 easy

Thurs - TURD

Fri - 0.5 easy (ouch) and weights

Sat - More weights

Sun - Off

Running Problem

Problem Child

So the answer seems to be buns of steel.

Let me see if I can dig up a VHS player.

You have a rare gem there. I couldn't find a SINGLE copy of Buns of Steel on any of the Craigslist VHS sections I cruised through acoss America

Found Max's result from his weekend in Idaho. I assume he is home now. Apparently he is coming to the Western States neck of the woods in a month...when I have family photos...and visiting family. He really should tell us of his trips earlier than a week out. Anything with the name "massacre" in it should be an unofficially official meetup for the axe murderer we all know and love.

pj I believe CIM filled up around July, maybe August. It WAS a backup plan (not anymore) but if  you'll be in the area next YEAR there is a $90 entry fee each year the day after the race for the following year. I believe 2019 will be an OTQ year along with a qualification for the125th anniversary of the East Coast April Marathon. IT might fill up a little quicker.

OTQ is somethign like 2:17:00 for males. I know this mostly because Sage Canady has continually tried (and failed) to qualify while also win big mountain trail races. I'm hoping he dedicates ALL of next year to roads to give it a real shot. By that I mean finally take his own advice from the last OTQ attempt he made and "focus on roads."

VDOT 53.37