2018 3:20 (and beyond) (Read 582 times)

fb-guy

GPOP! It's been a while. How are you doing?

Hey Pesto -- I think the -5:28 is safe and that they are just working their way through manually confirming the qualifying races. And maybe races outside the U.S. are a little harder to check, so they're taking a little longer. Should be good! We can meet up in B-town and good luck in Amsterdam and sub 3. Valencia still seems like good timing for me -- right between Thanksgiving and Christmas and not too long of a flight. Fingers crossed here.

DW/Brew -- you have my respect for hitting of bunch of tough workouts leading up the race day. It's all I can do to get my miles and not fall apart. haha. Three near MP miles and four mile cool down does not sound too bad to me.

m: 2:55:04 | 10k: 37:14 | 50mile: 9:35

seattlemax

Duke Of Bad Judgment

Matt: Belated Happy BD!

Darkwave: Do you happen to have a photo of you wearing the tattered remnants of Florence?  That sounds interesting.

Jim's Kat:  There is only one race that you know that involves tearing pages and books, but it turns out that once you start exploring the seamy world of weirdo races, there are others that take inspiration from the one you know.  Mine is in NoCal near Foresthill/Auburn.  To say I'm outclassed at this race is like saying Eliud Kipchoge runs marathons better than I do.  This event has 50 people in it, and just to name a few:  husband and wife who've done Fun Runs at Barkley at least once each, a Hardrock winner, a Tahoe 200 winner, the only known solo finisher of a local crazy route up here, an Angeles Crest 100 winner, the world champion Tough Mudder, the Western States RD who finished top 10 at Western States at least once, and two more people who are legends in the weirdo race world.  Oh, and Ann Trason is lurking on the wait list.  I am so toast.  My strategy is to try to keep someone in sight, but they'll all drop me after 200 yards and then I'll be found in a poison oak thicket a week later, whimpering.

What time is it?  GPOP time!

I DNF'd for the second time in a week today, after just two laps of the Seattle Running Club's Fat Glass 50k (the only race where DNF's are encouraged (tm)).  Drink a beer, run a 5 mile loop, drink a beer, run, etc..  Beer and running isn't awesome, especially at 10am.  I don't like the DNF pattern (especially because my next race is the stupid race above where most people DNF), but I achieved my goals in this race.

Good luck to those of you who registered for Bothell this past week and are on the cusp.  Fingers crossed for you, especially if it will be your first time.

Arvind Balaraman

Sorry to hear that max

Matt: Belated Happy BD!

Darkwave: Do you happen to have a photo of you wearing the tattered remnants of Florence?  That sounds interesting.

Jim's Kat:  There is only one race that you know that involves tearing pages and books, but it turns out that once you start exploring the seamy world of weirdo races, there are others that take inspiration from the one you know.  Mine is in NoCal near Foresthill/Auburn.  To say I'm outclassed at this race is like saying Eliud Kipchoge runs marathons better than I do.  This event has 50 people in it, and just to name a few:  husband and wife who've done Fun Runs at Barkley at least once each, a Hardrock winner, a Tahoe 200 winner, the only known solo finisher of a local crazy route up here, an Angeles Crest 100 winner, the world champion Tough Mudder, the Western States RD who finished top 10 at Western States at least once, and two more people who are legends in the weirdo race world.  Oh, and Ann Trason is lurking on the wait list.  I am so toast.  My strategy is to try to keep someone in sight, but they'll all drop me after 200 yards and then I'll be found in a poison oak thicket a week later, whimpering.

What time is it?  GPOP time!

I DNF'd for the second time in a week today, after just two laps of the Seattle Running Club's Fat Glass 50k (the only race where DNF's are encouraged (tm)).  Drink a beer, run a 5 mile loop, drink a beer, run, etc..  Beer and running isn't awesome, especially at 10am.  I don't like the DNF pattern (especially because my next race is the stupid race above where most people DNF), but I achieved my goals in this race.

Good luck to those of you who registered for Bothell this past week and are on the cusp.  Fingers crossed for you, especially if it will be your first time.

seattlemax

Duke Of Bad Judgment

Jim's Kat again: I've had two KBennyG drive-by running encounters, both in Discovery Park.  Run there next time if you want to increase your odds.

fb-guy

The Barkley is considered one of the toughest 100 mile races in the world. It has 67,000 feet of climb (and 67,000 feet of descent), more than any other 100 mile race, more than the 33,000 ft. of climb at Hardrock, and more than the 45,000 ft. at Nolan's 14.

hahahaha.

m: 2:55:04 | 10k: 37:14 | 50mile: 9:35

Running Problem

Problem Child

Brew: You should look for races that feature 20mph headwinds - you have the perfect training environment for that.  Go with your strengths.

Check the extended forecast....my training (fear) might help (come true) in October.

if it makes you feel better...there isn’t a requirement to wear a wet suit or jump over fire on your weird self guided library tour. Does it use the Dewey decimal system to discourage millennial applicants? Do I need to remove myself from family photos that weekend so you can have someone hang out with you?

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

OMR

It's been a while.  Since that time, apparently the Duke DNF'd (sorry to hear that, I plan to read the blog post in the near future) but plans to do the really crazy race (not surprised about that), Gpops made an appearance, and Brew is thinking of cutting himself out of family photos.  ilana and Matt had birthday and/or age group changes (congrats to both), Dad still hasn't made an appearance (unless I missed it), the Cat of Jim is posting (but not posting) some solid weeklies, FB has a good cushion for the "B" race again, and PJ is on the edge of Hell, which still has internet.  Oh, and calbears made an appearance elsewhere (good to see you back, and sorry to hear about all of your struggles, even though I know you probably won't see this)...

My week...I'm running by time again, not miles.  My knee seems to be responding well to what I'm doing, and the rest of my body hasn't revolted (knock on wood) even though I'm running everything way too fast.

M:  37min @ 8:06 (4.5M)

T:  Rest

W:  35min -- 5.5M w/3 by 5min tempo intervals (7:18 OA)

T:  40min @ 7:51 (5.1M)

F:  Rest

S:  35min @ 7:47 (4.5M)

S:  52min @ 8:03 (6.4M)

Total:  almost 26.1M, 7:49OA. 3.4 hours total.

darkwave

Mother of Cats

My week: 62 miles plus 18 "miles" pool-running.

M: yoga and 7.5 "miles" of pool-running.
                  T: 12 miles, including a workout of 2000, 1600, 1200, 2x800 in 7:46, 6:16, 4:36, 3:02, 3:01.  Also injury prevention work and recovery swimming.
                  W: 8 miles very easy to yoga (9:13), yoga, then 4 miles very easy (8:52) plus drills/strides
                  Th: 10.5 "miles" pool-running and upper body strength/core.
                  F: 10 miles, including 3 mile tempo in 19:49 (6:32/6:32/6:35) [was supposed to be 5, but bailed early]  Also injury prevention work and recovery swimming.
                  Sa: 12 miles very easy (9:08) plus drills/strides, and upper body strength/core.
                  Su: 16 progressive - first 5 averaged 8:55, next 5 averaged 7:39, last 6 averaged 6:50.  Also injury prevention work and recovery swimming.

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

OMR

Dwave:  Ha!  Hilarious.  Nice week.

Hey all.   (...and nice to see Ghetto!)

My week:

M: 1h XT

T: 6 with abbreviated workout 4x600 (~2:20)

W: spin (set a PR!)

Th: 5 easy

F: 6 easy

S: urd

S: 12 easy

total = 29

No real issues, other than feeling surprisingly achy after easy runs.

seattlemax

Duke Of Bad Judgment

Dwave: Thanks, interesting as I expected.  Is that SFW or NSFW?

Pesto

FB - thanks for the response, he finally received his confirmation on Friday Smile Glad to hear you're still on for Valencia. I actually changed my goal marathon from Amsterdam to Graz (one week earlier on Oct 14), since it's closer, easier, cheaper and there's no need for time off.

DkW - haha! And great week.

omr - glad to see you're back into running... and with some speed!

Have a great week everyone!

5K - 18:03 (5.18) | 10K - 37:58 (2.18) | HM - 1:20:45 (9.18) | FM: 2:57:59 (10.18)

mattw4jc

DW - when you get tired of the Moose Mug, that would make a great avatar.

My running this summer has been okay. I guess you could say since my March marathon, my running has been about nothing. Friends ask what I'm training for. "Nothing." I've kept my mileage up close to 40 per week only because of this 2018 in 2018 challenge here on Running Ahead. Some weeks I was regretting that.

The heat and humidity wiped out any motivation for faster miles. So a lot of 8:30 - 9:00 pace stuff. This past Friday I did run 3 mile repeats just to see how I felt. Slow of course. Around the 6:30 range on a one mile, non-flat loop. Then Saturday I joined a group run for about 16 miles. That was my longest run in a couple of months. I felt alright for that, though I probably should have taken a Gu or something halfway through.

I had told everyone that I was not going to sign up for the Beeswax marathon. But then on my birthday my wife wanted me to do it as a present and so I'd get motivated again. A few friends from my group already signed up. So I did too during Week 2. I will be surprised, but not heartbroken, if my -4:50 is not enough. I might even be relieved.

Running Problem

Problem Child

dw 6:50 is injury prevension? damn. Looks like training has started well for you. I know you like doing a lot of other races around April but I'm just curious why. What is it about those other races that make the April Marathon less appealing. Is it partly being able to do more than one race at a race effort?

matt long time no see. I think you're safe with about 5 minutes of extra Beeswax. I FINALLY passed my bunny for 2018 by 3 miles. I showed my wife because I was excited (9:00pm, in bed, she really cared)  because I was ahead by 3 miles. It changed this morning. I don't think it's fair to say I've run an average of 5.5 miles per day though...like...I had 2-4 weeks of no running so far. I've average WAY more than 5.5 per day (of running) and I want it acknowledged. As for the 8:30-9:00 pace...Its a comfortable pace. If you're getting bored maybe throw some speed repeats, strides, or even a few 10K or HM pace miles in there.

omr you're doing good for recovery. I was wondering how it was going and assumed you were just super busy and tired to post here.

My Week:

I bought 600 sq ft of flooring. Project will start at the end of October on Nevada Day (I'll miss the parade and the 8K I've never done) which is a 3 day weekend. It's not as bad as any of max's ideas but his usually don't take as long. Race weather forecast had me motivated for Sunday's run. I'm unfamiliar with the "Windy City" weather and if it's actually due to being windy. I DO have experience with 20 mph winds and I think I'll still go for it (BQ-3 or more) because I'm not going there to "run the Chicago Marathon" like some bucket list item. I had a nice headwind pushing me back and almost cut it short by about 5 miles but (literally) ran away from home and explored a new area. I also did 15 miles in shoes I haven't run in for a while so I know they're good for marathons. The 3x2 mile workout felt as expected and walking the 2 min recovery probably helped along with the headwind (mental support) for two of the 3 repeats. it's actually 55.5 miles on a 56 mile planned training week. I thought I was much shorter on miles.

The double marsh loop was pushing the stroller. NeRP took an hour and a half nap, I loaded him up, and he fell asleep around mile 4.75 until the end. One lady said something like "asleep. just how everyone likes them" and I kinda laughed and kinda realized I hadn't paid much attention to him before noticing he fell asleep. I walked about a 1/4 mile after to let him sleep longer and talked to a neighbor about strollers...until I got a phone call asking where I was. #dadlife

48 days...no beer...and now I'm going to attempt to cut out sugar (soda, rockstars, ice cream) for multiple reasons. I think one is because I hate myself.

Weekly Summary
                              Monday, Sep 17, 2018 thru Sunday, Sep 23, 2018

<tfoot> </tfoot>
                              Day Miles Pace Duration Description HR Link
                              Mon 6.0 8:21 0:50 That time there was no looking back 140 strava
                              Tue 6.6 8:51 0:58 That time purple, pink and orange match 137 strava
                              Wed 10.4 7:53 1:21 That time this isn’t a running shirt. 155 strava
                              Thu 6.5 8:29 0:55 That time it’s almost taper week. 144 strava
                              Fri 4.3 8:51 0:37 That time it’s fat kid Friday (friday. Getting food on Friday.) 133 strava
                              Sat 8.0 8:37 1:09 Morning Run 143 strava
                              Sun 15.3 8:02 2:02 That time it’s the little things in life that matter. 149 strava
                                57.1 8:19 7:55      

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

Speed Surplus

Dropping off a week as I sit here and wait for Bermuda to announce a devastatingly huge cutoff time.

Still splitting my time between running and cycling because the weather is decent and I'm not training for anything in particular.

If I get into Bermuda I will immediately try a new plan that will essentially be "run 10 miles every day at lunch, and once on the weekend" to try to accommodate my wife's training goals.

If I don't get into Bermuda... I don't know what's next. I could try again at one of next year's Tunnels, or I could wait until 2022 when I turn 45 to get 10 extra minutes. ðŸ¤”

<tfoot> </tfoot>
                                Day Miles Pace Duration Description HR Egain Link
                                Mon 6.4 8:12 0:52 Felt light and easy + perfect weather 142 (77%) 220 strava
                                Wed 2.0 8:27 0:16 WU 142 (77%) 49 strava
                                Wed 1.0 5:49 0:05 Segment Attack! 143 (78%) 0 strava
                                Wed 3.1 8:42 0:26 CD 146 (79%) 132 strava
                                Thu 7.4 8:21 1:01 Lots of pollution today 😫 145 (79%) 181 strava
                                Fri 7.0 3:38 0:25 Bridge completely closed due to police activity! 140 (76%) 365 strava
                                Fri 20.0 4:04 1:21 Wild-ass detour thanks to bridge closure 141 (77%) 868 strava
                                Sun 6.9 4:00 0:27 Went shopping for ebikes! 140 (76%) 406 strava
                                Sun 7.0 3:55 0:27 Hills are hard after test riding ebikes. 131 (71%) 205 strava
                                  60.8 5:22 5:26     2426

5:27 / 18:49 / 40:32 / 88:12 / 3:12