2018 3:20 (and beyond) (Read 582 times)

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

no tv, no beer, minimal excess sugar, and lower/easier mileage weeks make running boring. I kind of miss marathon training.

Quoted for posterity. Checkers or wreckers... got it! 

DWave - I completely agree that racing needs to be practiced., and by "workout" I just meant the workout that was originally on my training plan. This being a small race, it's more likely to feel like a solo time trial after the first mile or so. Eh, it'll be fun and a good workout either way.

5k: 17:58 11/22 │ 10k: 37:55 9/21 │ HM: 1:23:22 4/22 │ M: 2:56:05 12/22

Upcoming Races:

OKC Memorial 5k - April 27

Bun Run 5k - May 4

pepperjack

pie man

Posting so the page isn't hidden.

I attempted to join a group Sunday run with the Buffalo Chips the one Sunday, that was an ordeal (they were having one of their few races that day, and it seemed like a  big deal--44th running or whatever).  I'm sorta not completely reliant on Sac as the only civilization now.  After rlk posted, I checked and found a running store in Healdsburg that does similar things.  A bit closer than Mill Valley!

I have been doing a bit of solo adventures.  But that gets old after a while.

11:11 3,000 (recent)

Speed Surplus

Good luck Brew and Arvind!

Fingers crossed for good weather and a tailwind.

Good luck to Keen as well! Somehow I missed that he was racing, though I've certainly noticed his killer weeks on Strava lately.

5:27 / 18:49 / 40:32 / 88:12 / 3:12

Speed Surplus

"rlk Renter life is great until the landlord says he will get it fixed/replaced when he can."

Or until your landlord raises the rent by $900/month, like my former landlord did just after I moved out.

Don't get me wrong, up here in Seattle they've found a way to raise mortgages unexpectedly by not knowing any other way to fund our public schools (and then still somehow failing to fund them).

5:27 / 18:49 / 40:32 / 88:12 / 3:12

OMR

Good luck to Keen as well! Somehow I missed that he was racing, though I've certainly noticed his killer weeks on Strava lately.

I've noticed that as well.

I probably won't be back online before the weekend, so good luck Brew, Arvind, and Keen!

rlk_117

Resident Millennial

"rlk Renter life is great until the landlord says he will get it fixed/replaced when he can."

Or until your landlord raises the rent by $900/month, like my former landlord did just after I moved out.

Don't get me wrong, up here in Seattle they've found a way to raise mortgages unexpectedly by not knowing any other way to fund our public schools (and then still somehow failing to fund them).

ha, yeah. Unless you live in a city that rent controls everything built before like, 1980 (so 98% of things). And that city also happens to construct zero housing. I was v impressed by the number of cranes/new construction we saw when in Seattle a few weeks ago. Weird, it's as if responding to demand w/ additional supply prevents housing prices (own or rent) from skyrocketing north of $1000/sq ft........

mile, 5:26 /5k, 19:34 /10k, 41:00 /13.1, 1:31:49 /26.2, 3:12:58

berylrunner

Rick

Ok, time I join this thread.

Name is Rick.  I have been running somewhat serious for 10 years.  I am a binge runner.  Not much consistency, but in an effort to remedy that I have a run streak that just went over a year.  Farmer living in Southern Utah.  Can't do much running in the busy summer months.  Been averaging about 30 mpw, but can up it to 60+ if I have the time.  Most of my miles are in the 8:30 range.

Marathon is Carlsbad in January.  Previous PR is 3:39 on that course, but the course has changed this year.

Complete nube at the running terms, so have patience with me.

I am a trail and Ultra runner (hobby jogger), so running without walk breaks will be my biggest challenge.

No recent races to guage my fitness, but I have done a couple of 5k time trials at 21:30.

So is 3:20 too optimistic?  Any advice appreciated and/or training plans.  But, I can't give up my vertical and beer.

12-22   Last One Standing  - dnf 37 miles

1-23  Sun Marathon - 3:53

3-4-23  Red Mountain 55k - 7:02

4-15-23  Zion 100 - 27:59

mattw4jc

Welcome Rick! There's a lot of experienced and smart people in here. Though it is rare to fine one person with both of those qualities.

You have about 15 weeks until Carlsbad. Getting in 3:20 shape by then would be a challenge, but not necessarily impossible. I like the 60 mile weeks, but you wouldn't want to from 30 to 60 too quickly. I feel high mileage is necessary for me to do well in a marathon, but not everyone has to have that.

The great thing about this forum is you can go back and see the types of mileage and workouts people have done and how it worked for them in their race. And feel free to ask about any running terms that you aren't familiar with.

Running Problem

Problem Child

Welcome rick! 

Ask away. Some of us have been here longer so we know some terms, but don't hesitate to ask anything. Mostly it is important to participate if you want feedback (i.e. don't post once a month expecting feedback). Farming and ultra running...sounds like a glutton for punishment. Carlsbad looks like rolling hills and Southern Utah should work well for training. I think the elevation is around 2,500 (I picked St. George since it's the only city I know in the South) so that could help. Great job on the 1 year streak. I'm sure it's hard to do that with weather and work.

Training plans...I've done Hanson's and Jack Daniels 2Q. 50-60 mpw has worked for ME but I'm also one of the youngest kids here. I think the key is consistency. Being a farmer I'm sure you're accustomed to waking up early, working all day, and going to bed exhausted. It's pretty much the same for the next 3-4 months. For my schedule Hanson's worked well at the time. Wednesdays off, Tuesday and Thursday got up to 2 hours of running, and the longest weekend run was just over 2 hours. Better than doing a 20 miler in my opinion. Jack Daniels has been challenging and I'm hoping to reap the benefits on Sunday.

EDIT: I think I was doing around 40 mpw before jumping in to my current plan. rune is doing the same plan but less mileage and Hanson's has reduced mileage. I've never done a Pfitz training cycle. Oh and don't be afraid to slow your training pace for easy runs to 9:00. It's possible, it just might take work. I assume 3:20 is the BQ time you need to hit now.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

berylrunner

Rick

Thanks for the tips.  I will look into those plans.

I didn't want to make my post too long, but yes, 3:20 is the new BQ time although chances are slim I will ever be able to run it.  Plus, this seems like an active forum (no 3:30 thread).

I live in a high desert valley north of St. George., elevation 5,000 ft. so in my previous trips to Carlsbad (one half and two fulls) I had no problems with breath, just the legs keeping up.

October plan is to build the base and be consistent.  Work on getting a few pounds off.  Yes, I can cut the beer.

I am a little injury prone with some knee issues from my ski bum days and PF for the last 5 years in each foot, both in check right now.  I do have a strange stone bruise that has been bugging me for a month.  So I have to ease into the speed work.

I will read back a ways to get an Idea who you are.  I know some of you (seattlemax, brewing, omr) from the Ultra forum.

12-22   Last One Standing  - dnf 37 miles

1-23  Sun Marathon - 3:53

3-4-23  Red Mountain 55k - 7:02

4-15-23  Zion 100 - 27:59

Strict WTF adherent

everything built before like, 1980 

You talk about 1980 like that was a long time ago

Get off my lawn

Running Problem

Problem Child

I didn't want to make my post too long

ummm....have you read any post I make? How about a race recap/report/review? 

The more information you get us the better we can provide feedback. One thing I'd suggest is to focus on road running instead of trails as much as possible. It might help avoid walking, or just mentally, for longer runs. For October it might be worth getting from 30-50 MPW and see how the knee holds up and how the bruise feels with increased miles. I try and stick with the "long run not more than 25-40% of total weekly mileage" so with 30 MPW a 10 miler is the most I'd do. With 50 that gets you to a 15 miler.

Are you going to battle snow/cold at 5,000 ft this winter? Access to a treadmill? Cross training? Also, information on weekly runs or schedule conflicts might help. If you can't do a 2 hour run but you can wake up early and get an hour and run after dinner it makes a difference.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

oregonrw

Good luck Brewing, Arvind and Keen this weekend!

Welcome Rick.

Clever: Oregon is on the same "raise property taxes to fund schools then not fund schools" plan as Washington, I think.

RLK: Ha. I miss renting life sometimes, especially around the time something breaks.

DW: Bummer about the refrigerator - I hope you can get it repaired quickly.

Pepperjack: Good luck finding a good group to run with.

Hello everyone else. I've had to change plans -- while I was planning on running CIM in December I realized a week or so ago that it's the same weekend as a big high school xc national meet that my oldest's team will likely qualify for, and I want to be able to watch.  So CIM is out the window. When I figured that out I lost motivation and didn't do a long run for a week or so.  Now I'm trying to figure out what I can fit in to my schedule -- maybe nothing until Eugene in the spring.  In the meantime I've been running 40-45 mpw and feel like I'm getting relatively fit. I think I need to find a new group to do speed work with. It's hard to do on my own and gets boring, and I like doing group workouts. No one I run with wants to do speed right now. I know there are some groups here, it's just a matter of finding one that fits -- preferably where I won't be the slowest or oldest.

darkwave

Mother of Cats

Quick drive-by:

BrewingJim, and Arvind - good luck to you in Chicago!  and good luck to Keen in his race.

Beryl - welcome!  I'm the Thread Usurper and Ruthless Dictator (TURD) for 2018, which means it's my responsibility to neglect welcoming others to the thread..

We have an intro thread if you want to figure out who is who.

Orgegon - bummer to you in turn on missing CIM, though it's for a good reason.  If you are interested, RNR AZ is a pretty good race, and not too far after CIM.

upper body weights/core and 8 "miles" pool-running.  We now have a second fridge repair attempt scheduled for tomorrow, so we shall see.

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

runethechamp

Rick - Welcome! It sounds like a stretch for me to go from a 21:30 5k to a 3:20 marathon, but that's all individual of course. I'm hoping to break 3:20 in 3 weeks, and as Brew mentioned I've followed a Jack Daniels plan, maxing out at 55 miles per week. Two long and hard workouts per week, everything else is fill. I actually like the plan, despite the pain twice a week, and soon I will know how well it works for me.

Oregon - Too bad you are missing that race but there are always more races. IT's not that often you get to see your kids compete at a high level in a sport.

I think I've said it before, but good luck to everyone racing this weekend!

Yesterday I did a 2+2+1+1+1 tempo workout (13 miles total). I have increased my training paces so the goal was 6:51 pace (from 6:56 earlier), and I decided to go with the modified rest breaks of 1 minute per 5 minutes running instead of 1 minute per 1 mile running. I stupidly opened with 6:41 and 6:46 on the fist interval because it felt so easy . 6:45 and 6:48 was ok on the next interval but I was really happy at the end of that interval that this was it for the 2-milers. The first 1-miler was pretty good at 6:44, but during the second one I was cursing myself for going too fast earlier and I came in at 6:50. When I started the last one I had to to some serious mind-tricks to make it all the way in. I told myself that if I couldn't keep my pace close to my goal pace I could bow out at the half mile point. I kept going and gave myself another quarter mile, and once that was done I felt I could complete the mile. Came in at 6:52 for the last mile so not too bad, but I definitely had the feeling the workout ended up a bit too hard. At least it gave me some good mental training for the end of races later on.

5k: 20:32 (1/17)  |  HM: 1:34:37 (2/18)  |  FM: 3:31:37 (3/18)

Getting back into it